European Super League.

Lofarl

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

#sincere

You can certainly tell Liverpool and Man Utd were the drivers behind it in England going by the statement. You can also tell by those statements that both clubs are furious. 

Still think Arsenal's statement is the only one showing any sign of genuine remorse. 

At any rate, I hope the banks call in their various debts and the whole lot of them go bust. 

That Barca and Madrid were leading this breakaway and as 2 clubs with mountains of debt that are propped up by the local banks and others. It makes me think they are in desperate situation money wise. Probably Covid has meant those banks and other dodgy funds can no longer fund them

Has uefa increased the money or done any changes to get this climb down, i wouldnt be surprised if they have?

My feeling is this will just be put to be for a few years, next time its raised it will be under a different name and there will be less backlash against it and it will get put through

2 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

That Barca and Madrid were leading this breakaway and as 2 clubs with mountains of debt that are propped up by the local banks and others. It makes me think they are in desperate situation money wise. Probably Covid has meant those banks and other dodgy funds can no longer fund them

They need to go the way of all dodgy and criminally run clubs then. Liquidation and reformation as The Barcelona and Real 5088.

This is the one and only time I'm going to say this, but it's a shame Rab isn't present at the moment. Watching him tie himself in knots desperately trying to defend the club that he loved since they became successful would have been genuinely hilarious viewing.

28 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Here it is: 

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

Code: “you almost had to walk alone but we’ve shit the bed”

It would be brilliant to see these clubs collapse, a house of cards. Football is a kind of ponzi scheme even though people have said for years me included that the bubble has to burst sometime, the tv deals keep going up and it doesnt but maybe we have seen the first cracks appear. In same way the housing bubble collapsed yet plenty people believed before it happened that houses prices would always go up.

26 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Further LOLz at the boy Henry's grovelling and completely insincere apology video in Twitter emoji23.png

Please smash that like button and remember to subscribe. 

50 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

What frustrates me about these clubs with huge debts is they don't think they need to reduce them. Barca and Real could get rid of a few high earners bring through some youngsters and still finish top 4 in their league. They'd probably still regularly get to the CL quarters, win 1 or 2 La Liga's or Copa Del Rey's then in 5yrs time be in a position to buy the best players in the world again.

It is like they can never not be challenging to the best team in the world without realising they aren't and a reset would be beneficial to them.

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

What frustrates me about these clubs with huge debts is they don't think they need to reduce them. Barca and Real could get rid of a few high earners bring through some youngsters and still finish top 4 in their league. They'd probably still regularly get to the CL quarters, win 1 or 2 La Liga's or Copa Del Rey's then in 5yrs time be in a position to buy the best players in the world again.

It is like they can never not be challenging to the best team in the world without realising they aren't and a reset would be beneficial to them.

I would like to see them do that too but they think they can do both. As businesses they are effectively bullet-proof. Barca have 1.3 billion of debt, 800m of which is short-term debt that is due to be paid at the end of this season.

Obviously that's not going to happen but they aren't especially worried. They can renegotiate and pay it off over ten years or longer. And the creditors will play ball. Its in nobody's interest they go into administration.

Lets say Barca owe you 300m. You could force them to pay now, meaning they go into admin, and you get pennies in the pound. Maybe 30m for your 300m. Or you can renegotiate and get 350m over ten years. 

And for the creditors its better that Barca stay in business anyway and for potential sponsors etc. A club with Messi operating at the top of the game is a much better investment than a post-admin Barca stripped back of most of its best players maybe finishing in the EL spots. 

Football isn't a normal business, so they know they can get away with this stuff.

9 hours ago, Yflab said:

Your club certainly have....in my lifetime....

Riot at Barcelona 1972

Riot at Aston Villa 1976

Riot at Chesterfield 1980

Riot at Hampden 1980

Riot at Manchester 2008

Riot in Glasgow 2012 when your club died.

OK I made the last one up, but there is a common theme.

When your club needed you most there was no fighting spirit amongst the fans to save your club. You will be forever remembered for being the fans that let their club DIE.

Those things were all done by fans of the old Rangers.

My beloved Sevco have an impeccable record of behaviour.