World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

5 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Is it not just a case that we beat ROI that's us at the World Cup?

Unfortunately not. If we win in normal time we need one of:

- Portugal beat Iceland (by same or less margin) 

- Wales beat Switzerland 

If we win in extra time we need one of :

- Portugal beat Iceland in ET (by same or less margin) 

- Wales beat Switzerland 

Think that's right but happy to be corrected. 

1 minute ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Unfortunately not. If we win in normal time we need one of:

- Portugal beat Iceland (by same or less margin) 

- Wales beat Switzerland 

If we win in extra time we need one of :

- Portugal beat Iceland in ET (by same or less margin) 

- Wales beat Switzerland 

Think that's right but happy to be corrected. 

Jeez how bizarre. Then we need to play another game if those permutations happen or straight through to the WC?

No, this is just FIFA making things quite complicated. I think the expectation would be that we would be strong favourites based on the other teams that we would come up against in the intercontinental play off if we make it there. I think that's quite complicated too. will need to check the wiki again.

From what I can work out, we would be seeded, and end up in group A as the top seeds, only having to play 1 game to qualify and we couldnt play any other of the seeds. so I think the teams in bold below are the ones we could play.

Chinese taipei (38)
Thailand (41)
Cameroon (59)
Senegal (84)
Haiti (56)
Panama (57)
Paraguay (51)
Chile (39)
Papa New Guinea (49)

But great performance from the team. They maybe edged the first 90 but we bossed them in extra time

Edited by Spectre

27 minutes ago, Spectre said:

No, this is just FIFA making things quite complicated. I think the expectation would be that we would be strong favourites based on the other teams that we would come up against in the intercontinental play off if we make it there. I think that's quite complicated too. will need to check the wiki again.

From what I can work out, we would be seeded, and end up in group A as the top seeds, only having to play 1 game to qualify and we couldnt play any other of the seeds. so I think the teams in bold below are the ones we could play.

Chinese taipei (38)
Thailand (41)
Cameroon (59)
Senegal (84)
Haiti (56)
Panama (57)
Paraguay (51)
Chile (39)
Papa New Guinea (49)

But great performance from the team. They maybe edged the first 90 but we bossed them in extra time

On Wikipedia it says only one team per confederation can be seeded so Thailand wouln't be a seed and Papua New Guinea would be seeded on that basis.

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

On Wikipedia it says only one team per confederation can be seeded so Thailand wouln't be a seed and Papua New Guinea would be seeded on that basis.

Papua New Guinea not OFC?

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

On Wikipedia it says only one team per confederation can be seeded so Thailand wouldn't be a seed and Papua New Guinea would be seeded on that basis.

That'll teach me to skim through the page. Probably the weakest team in the draw... Let's just hope for a penalty win by Portugal 

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Bit disappointed in the crowd despite the record, Wales got 5,000 more to the Bosnia game. 

I thought the crowd size was decent enough. Record crowd and had it been a sunny evening you could have added a lot more but that weather definitely would have made a lot of folks mind up for them I think. I'd imagine and even bigger crowd come Tuesday night!

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

I thought the crowd size was decent enough. Record crowd and had it been a sunny evening you could have added a lot more but that weather definitely would have made a lot of folks mind up for them I think. I'd imagine and even bigger crowd come Tuesday night!

Yeah we didn't go last night for various reasons, the weather being a big one! Will definitely be there on Tuesday though.