World Cup 23 qualifiers

Lurkst

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

Howard was at fault with the goal but otherwise worked hard - two goalline clearances saved our bacon in the first half.

Got home in time to see the end of the highlights. Panel suggesting we need to look at who's coming through from the U19s. Going by their recent results I'd say naebody. Thinking of the likes of Jamie Lee Napier at Hibs, who went down to Chelsea, didn't make it and has gone down a league. Like the men's game, will more girls be tempted South but not fulfil their potential?

Ireland knew we struggled in the final third and closed it down. Pedro's answer to our goal shyness seemed to be to lull the Irish into a false sense of security by offering no goal threat for most of the game, then surprise them by sneaking on Abi H.

U19s have just been humped by Spain, Switzerland and Finland. No goals scored and 13 conceded in 3 games. Future looks bleak. 

Didnt hear the IRA chants on the TV. Shocking for the womens team in all honesty and even their manager has condemned it. I expect that kind of shit in the mens game but its rare for womens teams to indulge in things like that. Kinda ironic when there was a minute silence for victims of a blast, then they're chanting for a group that killed many through blasts! 

5 hours ago, roverthemoon said:

May be one of our best players but she was absolutely mince last night. Worst I’ve seen her. Over hitting and misplacing passes. The main problem is the defence though. Weak in every position with Corsie, Howard, Docherty, Alexander all prone to errors. Ireland knew this and exploited it. There’s no sign of anyone coming through either so we look gubbed for the foreseeable future.

The quality elsewhere in the squad should have seen us through.. Tactics were dire. Typical Scotland to beat a tough team in Austria then choke against a team below us in the rankings. 

Really not sure why you think the defence is the main problem when the issue in qualifying for the Euros and the World cup has been not scoring against teams we are better then. Finland, Portugal and now Ireland were all beatable teams and we never scored against any of them over 5 games. Teams are finding it easy to defend against us, Ukraine was a slog at home relying on a last minute equaliser and we barely squeaked past Hungary. In the game I watched last night, Ireland didn't exploit our defence, they exploited our midfield, constantly winning the ball off all of our players who were taking too many touches (especially Erin Cuthbert), giving Ireland dangerous counter attacking opportunities that the defence had to clean up.

The defence aren't without their faults, It was after all Sophie Howards error that led to the goal who didn't play as well as she did on Thursday but after seeing a sequence of easy to defend crosses and persistently conceding possession in midfield, I think it's a poor take to highlight the defence when it is clearly the collective that are not functioning as well as they could. I'd say it's the worst take on this forum, but I've seen someone in here suggest that women should play 7-a-side  or futsal because they can't play on a full size pitch with 11-a-side goals which is a bit of a head scratcher to put is a politely as I can.

51 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Maddest post I’ve ever seen on here.

I'm not sure he was being entirely serious. Regardless, it's probably not even the maddest post today, let alone ever.

As you surmise there's no chance of them getting kicked out, although they do warrant a good (metaphorical) kick in the c**t, if that's not too sexist an expression.

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

What's the story with the chants? Is it the team rather than the supporters? Didn't hear much from the Ireland support (except when they scored) and they were perhaps a couple of hundred out of 10,700.

Tweet deleted but you can still see the replies....

https://twitter.com/corelliLAUREN/status/1579950746069766145?s=20&t=xJRU_aMKQeLOi-r8mpUoPg

Basically it was like the Scotland players doing "Yes sir I can boogie" in Belgrade, only more Upthera than Baccara...

Maddest post I’ve ever seen on here.

For me they should be thrown out. They are singing pish like this at at time when everyone is behind promoting the women’s game and targeting the younger generations.
Throw them out and automatically promote Switzerland and Portugal without sending anyone from Europe to the crazy playoffs in Oceania…..

On 12/10/2022 at 22:17, KirkieRR said:

Thanks for clarifying, folks. While I thought they deserved to win, I thought they played eye-bleeding football, were overly physical and tediously time-wasting. I'm not warming to them any more now.

So like the Irish men's team then?