The 2021/2022 Championship

9 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

If Musonda signs a new contract, I think we will see a back 3 in a decent number of games next season. Berra in the centre with Bene and Musonda either side as the other centre backs. MacDonald (assuming he goes full time with us) and Tumilty seem pretty well suited to playing wing back.

And MacDonald is away, so that makes it academic in that particular. I could easily see the three CB plan, with two wing backs up, using Tumilty and Armstrong (assuming he gets signed) or a new LB, being a JMcG favorite. That would also help compensate for the anticipated loss of Hendry and his ferocious back tracking at the defensive end.

It is interesting that Hamilton is mentioned as a potential landing spot for MacDonald too, certainly they or Killie could afford to offer a generous full time wage (compared to most Championship teams), and get a proven player at this level while reducing their wage bill. Otherwise, he would almost certainly be of interest to all the part time Championship teams, it just becomes a matter of locale.

And MacDonald is away, so that makes it academic in that particular. I could easily see the three CB plan, with two wing backs up, using Tumilty and Armstrong (assuming he gets signed) or a new LB, being a JMcG favorite. That would also help compensate for the anticipated loss of Hendry and his ferocious back tracking at the defensive end.
It is interesting that Hamilton is mentioned as a potential landing spot for MacDonald too, certainly they or Killie could afford to offer a generous full time wage (compared to most Championship teams), and get a proven player at this level while reducing their wage bill. Otherwise, he would almost certainly be of interest to all the part time Championship teams, it just becomes a matter of locale.

“all the part time Championship teams”. That’ll be Arbroath then.

11 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Killie seem to be a total mess so could struggle especially with a major rebuild needed. Not sure if they will have cash to throw at it to try and go straight back up? I’ve said earlier in this thread that I think Hamilton will be mid table.

Our board have said that we'll be keeping the same playing budget as this season, so we will presumably have the biggest wage bill in the league. I wouldn't base our chance of success on the performances in those two Dundee games, because the bulk of the guys who started that game will be moving on - we've already got rid of 15 players today and although we've made offers to some of the others I am not sure they will all be hanging around. As of right now we only have 6 players under contract.

Wright will have close to a blank canvas to build the squad, and has the budget to put together something very competitive. On paper he should be the best manager in the league too given his track record.

Having said all that, I am not convinced we will win the league. I'm expecting us to stumble our way to something like a 3rd placed finish and then lose in the play-offs.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Our board have said that we'll be keeping the same playing budget as this season, so we will presumably have the biggest wage bill in the league. I wouldn't base our chance of success on the performances in those two Dundee games, because the bulk of the guys who started that game will be moving on - we've already got rid of 15 players today and although we've made offers to some of the others I am not sure they will all be hanging around. As of right now we only have 6 players under contract.

Wright will have close to a blank canvas to build the squad, and has the budget to put together something very competitive. On paper he should be the best manager in the league too given his track record.

Having said all that, I am not convinced we will win the league. I'm expecting us to stumble our way to something like a 3rd placed finish and then lose in the play-offs.

Kiltie staying?....I've heard St Johnstone and Dundee are in for him.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yeah I did read that earlier. Agree with what you are saying too. I totally don’t expect Killie to be the same team that showed up for those Dundee games.

I know this is stating the obvious but it will depend on the players Wright brings in. If they join for the “pay cheque” with the budget you have, compared to the rest, expecting an easy ride then you may struggle. It’s a tough league where 4 or 5 other sides will probably be able to match you over 90 minutes but won’t be able to put a consistent run together to challenge for the title, so they need to battle every week to try and scrap wins where they maybe don’t deserve it.

Having a massive rebuild job is probably the biggest issue as you need to get them all gelled together right from the start which will be very difficult to do.

53 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Kiltie staying?....I've heard St Johnstone and Dundee are in for him.

We've offered him something, but he is good enough to play in the Premiership so it's only whether the draw of his boyhood team is enough to keep him with us.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Wright will have close to a blank canvas to build the squad, and has the budget to put together something very competitive.

Intrigued to see how this Summer goes for you if he stays.

Can't think of any window where he had a "blank canvas" with us really, but the signings felt a bit more erratic the more money he got. Folk like Scougall, MOH, Swanson and May were all given massive (for us) wages on lengthy deals then completely flopped. Felt like it was more his cheap punts to develop that were successful (Shaughnessy/Tanser/MOH first time around) long term.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We've offered him something, but he is good enough to play in the Premiership so it's only whether the draw of his boyhood team is enough to keep him with us.

Settled then.....we'll see him at Cappielow next season!

I guess the first benchmark for Killie will be whether they have more than one outfield sub over the age of 17 on the opening day of the league season, which we did not in 2018/19. 

Does look as if it could be very tight, which means Hamilton will win it by 15 points, obviously. 

7 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Top 4? Really. Mid table will be a decent season.

I think McCall will be aiming for the top four, but given how shambolic we’ve been the last two seasons we’ve been in this division, I’d be happy with a boring sixth place finish right now tbh.

If Killie can keep some of the guys they’ve offered deals to (Kiltie, Lafferty) alongside building something resembling a competent defence, you’d imagine they’ll be more than good enough to win the league. I certainly don’t think they’ll stink the place up in the way we did anyway. 

3 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Honestly, why do you bother?

We've just won the league, playing well for the first time in yonks, with most of last season's squad signed up and a manager who has a track record in the division. If you cant be optimistic now, whats the point?

Add in the fact there doesnt seem to be much to choose from between any of the teams and Killie being a complete unknown at this stage, its hardly wild to suggest Thistle will be aiming to challenge for the top 4. I would imagine we will certainly have the budget for that type of target.

We've just won the league, playing well for the first time in yonks, with most of last season's squad signed up and a manager who has a track record in the division. If you cant be optimistic now, whats the point?
Add in the fact there doesnt seem to be much to choose from between any of the teams and Killie being a complete unknown at this stage, its hardly wild to suggest Thistle will be aiming to challenge for the top 4. I would imagine we will certainly have the budget for that type of target.
I can see it from both sides tbh. Thistle should have a decent budget and will have that winning mindset. The Championship just saw a shite Hearts cruise to the title so there isn't much in the way of quality. Next season looks like it will be very tight at the top end with the majority of sides probably fighting for top spot from about 6th up and Thistle should absolutely see themselves as one of those 6.

On the other hand though, I can see why some of your supporters might be pessimistic. You won the title but were only 2 points ahead Airdrie. As we all saw, a dire Morton side (by their own admission) swept aside your closest rivals with absolute ease over the two legs so the standard in League 1 last season must have been spectacularly bad.

I still expect Thistle to be nearer the top but I think it's valid for some Thistle fans to have their feet firmly on the ground.

3 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

So the Championship is now confirmed as .....

Hamilton, Killie, Dunfermline, Partick Thistle, Raith Rovers, ICT, Ayr United, Arbroath, QOS, Morton

A decent guess would suggest that Hamilton, Killie, Dunfermline and Partick Thistle will have the largest playing budgets and most would therefore think that those four will contend the top four spots - money usually talks in professional sport.  So Partick really should be in with a shout this season - 5th or 6th I would think be seen as a disappointment in the "coffee bars and bistros" of Maryhill. 😏

Raith, ICT and Ayr will probably have the next best budgets and with good recruitment could perhaps threaten the top four spots.

Most would suggest (from a similar budget guess approach) that Arbroath, QOS and Morton will likely be trying their best to avoid the trapdoor to the seaside again.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can see it from both sides tbh. Thistle should have a decent budget and will have that winning mindset. The Championship just saw a shite Hearts cruise to the title so there isn't much in the way of quality. Next season looks like it will be very tight at the top end with the majority of sides probably fighting for top spot from about 6th up and Thistle should absolutely see themselves as one of those 6.

On the other hand though, I can see why some of your supporters might be pessimistic. You won the title but were only 2 points ahead Airdrie. As we all saw, a dire Morton side (by their own admission) swept aside your closest rivals with absolute ease over the two legs so the standard in League 1 last season must have been spectacularly bad.

I still expect Thistle to be nearer the top but I think it's valid for some Thistle fans to have their feet firmly on the ground.

100% agree with everything you say.

I'm not suggesting Thistle should be aiming for a title. But i think finishing 6th or 7th would represent a fairly poor, maybe marginally passable, season for us.

46 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Why do I bother? That's the point. I DO bother. Expecting us to waltz into the play offs is a rather arrogant view on the sides we will be facing. And who says we will have the budget you are assuming ?. The fact that McCall had said we cannot compete financially with the likes of Raith Rovers tells you that it's going to be difficult. Look at the clubs that are in this division. Kilmarnock have already announced that their aying budget will NOT be reduced. Of course a play off spot would be wonderful,  but I have my feet on the ground and accept that we may not get the play off spots.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Why do I bother? That's the point. I DO bother. Expecting us to waltz into the play offs is a rather arrogant view on the sides we will be facing. And who says we will have the budget you are assuming ?. The fact that McCall had said we cannot compete financially with the likes of Raith Rovers tells you that it's going to be difficult. Look at the clubs that are in this division. Kilmarnock have already announced that their aying budget will NOT be reduced. Of course a play off spot would be wonderful,  but I have my feet on the ground and accept that we may not get the play off spots.

I dont think anyone has said we will waltz into the playoffs. But surely it isnt an unrealistic aim? Everyone will accept that we may not get into the playoffs, but I'd be pretty raging if avoiding a relegation scrap was our only aim next season.

You can have your feet on the ground and still think it is realistic to think Thistle can challenge with Dunfermline, Inverness, Raith, etc. for a playoff place.