The best and worst, and the current state, of strip sponsorship

49 minutes ago, Comrie said:

FC Nuremburgimage.png.9c684100bf49ce064e76f1dd7fee2ea4.png

I checked, mister*lady is a clothes shop, however it also feels like the companion you'd end up with in a Berlin brothel when you realise your German isn't as good as you thought it was.

Our first sponsorship logo with Marathon Bet was a bit of an eyesore. Pretty sure it was also highlighted on the first time we wore our white away kit that the colours from the logo leaked onto the shirt. Didn’t help that the logo itself looked like it was about to fall off at any second

Thankfully the logo was switched to a much better simplified version the next season

IMG_1622306699.234828.jpgIMG_1908.jpg

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I checked, mister*lady is a clothes shop, however it also feels like the companion you'd end up with in a Berlin brothel when you realise your German isn't as good as you thought it was.

Ein FrauJunge bitte.

When that Football Index pyramid scheme thing collapsed and turned out to be a massive scam and loads of idiots had lost a rake of money, I saw quite a lot of victims saying "I thought it was genuine - they were on the Forest and QPR shirts!"  As if your standard fitba club does some kind of ethical and financial deep dive into any potential sponsor, rather than just whoring their shirts out to whoever can cobble some cash together.  Ultimately people should take responsibility for making their own decisions about what shite product to spunk their money on.  

The Dons have been reasonably fortunate to avoid any proper tinpot sponsors - maybe Northsound Radio would be the tinny pottiest.  Normally it's some kind of reasonably obscure "energy services" company that I can't really figure out what they do, and I work in the oil and gas.  Although TBF I am quite incompetent.  

19 minutes ago, resk said:

The Dons have been reasonably fortunate to avoid any proper tinpot sponsors - maybe Northsound Radio would be the tinny pottiest.  Normally it's some kind of reasonably obscure "energy services" company that I can't really figure out what they do, and I work in the oil and gas. 

aberdeen_1994-1996_bf.gif.43a44d8c12b535fa3ee3053424832dc7.gif  1624589653_download(13).gif.9e4b0556f984b2989c4f3138023e22ad.gif    aberdeen_1987-1990_af.gif.7e60b37865afd9be747ecd1b6d66512f.gif

worst                           Arguably as bad                               best

imo.

The old Mitsubishi sponsor was a belter. Possibly one of our best ever kits as well. Home kit that is, the away kit is a blendy weird unreadable mess.
1995-96 

The 2003/04 kit with possibly one of the most ironic ones in Scottish football history. Intelligent Finance, in the same year we entered administration
2003-04

Hilariously followed up by a shocker in Smarter Loans
 2007-08
Tony Macaroni sponsors have always been fairly smart, always fit the kit and didn't stand out on it either
2018-19-1.jpg

7 hours ago, ATLIS said:

2003-04

I was at the Spartans cup game against you lot ('02?,'03?) and I remember for some reason the Livi players were standing along a grass verge, near the old Ferry Road stadium of theirs (think it's now redeveloped), still in their kit waiting to be picked up after the game. The joke that they did not have intelligent finance was certainly the order of the day.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I was at the Spartans cup game against you lot ('02?,'03?) and I remember for some reason the Livi players were standing along a grass verge, near the old Ferry Road stadium of theirs (think it's now redeveloped), still in their kit waiting to be picked up after the game. The joke that they did not have intelligent finance was certainly the order of the day.

That was the old City Park which was Edinburgh City's home (hence the name) when they played in the Scottish League. City played there1936-55. Spartans and Craigroyston later played there. 

It's now houses although there's still a grassy slope where there was terrace behind one of the goals.

Atletico Madrid early 2000's has to be up there they had a sponsorship deal with Columbia Pictures which meant any movie released by Columbia that season would be splashed on the front of their shirt. They had blockbusters such as Spider-man 2 and Resident Evil. 

Can't seem to get the pictures to work but here is an article written a few years ago about it. https://footballshirtcollective.com/2017/11/12/remembering-when-atletico-madrid-had-a-different-kit-almost-every-match/

Edited by Rbon

On 30/05/2021 at 21:13, Rbon said:

Atletico Madrid early 2000's has to be up there they had a sponsorship deal with Columbia Pictures which meant any movie released by Columbia that season would be splashed on the front of their shirt. They had blockbusters such as Spider-man 2 and Resident Evil. 

Can't seem to get the pictures to work but here is an article written a few years ago about it. https://footballshirtcollective.com/2017/11/12/remembering-when-atletico-madrid-had-a-different-kit-almost-every-match/

I'd seen the huge awful Spider-Man one, but had no idea about the others.

They really gave up after a while. One step off slapping a strip of tape across the front and scribbling 'DEBBY DUZ DALAS' with a Sharpie.

On 31/05/2021 at 17:19, Alert Mongoose said:

I always liked Utd’s top with this sponsor.

Somewhat unkindly I was nicknamed the ‘Belhaven Bull’ in my early teens on account of my build and bustling playing style.

F903AF53-6DD5-49CB-9912-2AA0297BBAB3.jpeg

Belhaven were for a long time the sponsors of the other DUFC- that's Dunbar United- as the brewery is in the town

In the early 90s Dunbar played Dundee United in a friendly which may have been influenced by the sponsors. Dundee United won 9-0 but Jim McLean kept the United players in for 40 minutes of haranguing after full time for not winning by more!