The work shy and bone idle....

Reading about the brewdog thing on another forum, one thats utterly riddled with gammon, and so I decided I simply wasnt getting involved over there since its a forum that I use for practical advice and not casual interaction.

One of the most striking things about the conversation was the amount of folk immediately jumped to, these folk are scared of hard work, dont know they are born, back in our day etc etc etc. I am sure you can all imagine. Its chat everyone hears all the time.

But why? "Work ethic" is a completely imagined character trait. The idea that fulfilling your contractual obligation to your employer is something you should be lauded for us mental to me. As is going over and above said obligations.

Why is it anyone elses business if someone doesnt want to work?

It might be hyperbole of me to say its the last acceptable form of discrimination, but the way folk react to people having the audacity to complain about their working conditions is very odd to me and I think a lot of the time, people do walk close to the line of discrimination in the way the regard those they perceive to "work less hard" than them.

Have any P&Bers ever been work shy or bone idle?

Have any P&Bers ever ranted like their auld da' because of they lazy basturts wi their 50 inch plasmas?

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why is it anyone elses business if someone doesnt want to work?

Situational, but it may be the case that the less work A does, the more B and C have to.  And too many As could put a company/department at risk.  You won't hear many folk complaining that so and so is too hard working.

Basically, hard workers are the good guys and the bone idle are the bad guys to most.

you'll find the answer to this, and many more of the great general nonsense & politics questions here;

List of cognitive biases - Wikipedia

Essentially, when it comes to welfare, immigration and Scottish independence to name just a few , the UK tory  government often appeal to the darkest corners of peoples emotions in order to to entice them to vote for them, which has payed massive dividends in the last 10 years, Especially since large numbers of voters ( enough to make the difference between winning & losing ) will be voting against their own self interest 

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

The thing about the Brewdog rammy is that those calling the ex-workers group lazy or whatever have literally zero basis for doing so. They've no actual reason to disbelieve the claims being made about bullying and exploitation. They're just prejudiced.

Folk who are work-shy don't organise themselves into campaigns and do what those ex-employees have been doing over the past few weeks.

The reason I stay out of the depression thread on here is that, when I first dipped in, I saw folk on there who were strongly in favour of things that ruin mental health on other threads. What those Brewdog workers are describing, I'm sure most of us have seen for ourselves or know people who've been in that kind of environment. It's utter poison that destroys people. If you're already at risk of depression it pushes you over the edge. 

So when I see folk victim blame while acting all compassionate on the depression thread, deluding themselves that they give a damn... those people need to get in the sea. 

Edited by GordonS

There's a very insidious conflation between paid employment and 'working hard', as if paid employment is the only way someone can 'work hard' and that disliking it makes you 'lazy/bone idle'. 

If I could afford it I'd never do paid employment ever again. I'd instantly quit and never do a single second again. To some that would make me lazy. My current job involves sitting on my arse and doing spreadsheets, emails and Teams (other admin shit too). In what possible way is that 'working hard'? 

If I didn't have to work there is absolutely no way I'd be sitting in the one place in front of a screen for 7 hours. I'd actually be doing shit and be 'working' much 'harder' than I ever have done in paid employment, be that by fucking off on long walks/hikes, making things, doing a hobby or pretty much anything else.

Edited by DA Baracus

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The thing about the Brewdog rammy is that those calling the ex-workers group lazy or whatever have literally zero basis for doing so. They've no actual reason to disbelieve the claims being made about bullying and exploitation. They're just prejudiced.

Folk who are work-shy don't organise themselves into campaigns and do what those ex-employees have been doing over the past few weeks.

The reason I stay out of the depression thread on here is that, when I first dipped in, I saw folk on there who were strongly in favour of things that ruin mental health on other threads. What those Brewdog workers are describing, I'm sure most of us have seen for ourselves or know people who've been in that kind of environment. It's utter poison that destroys people. If you're already at risk of depression it pushes you over the edge. 

So when I see folk victim blame while acting all compassionate on the depression thread, deluding themselves that they give a damn... those people need to get in the sea. 

Of course they do.  they're called unions.

I'm a lazy b*****d, and wouldn't work if I didn't have to.

I only work out of economic necessity - to keep a roof over my head.

Fell out with a guy I'd hitherto got on very well with when he said 'young yins nowadays dinnae want tae work' - he turned into a seething mess when I said 'I don't want to work - why would anyone want to work?'

18 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Of course they do.  they're called unions.

There are lazy people in unions, but lazy people do not set up unions from scratch and risk their entire careers while doing so.

Do you know how trade unions started?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Situational, but it may be the case that the less work A does, the more B and C have to.  And too many As could put a company/department at risk.  You won't hear many folk complaining that so and so is too hard working.

Basically, hard workers are the good guys and the bone idle are the bad guys to most.

Agree with this. Anyone putting huge effort and going above their contractual obligations for free is mental, but when I’m at work I do ‘work hard’ in the sense that I like most of my colleagues and team and want to make their lives easier, so I’ll do my job well so that their working lives aren’t shite. I can fully understand people being raging at someone being lazy if it means they have to pick up the work.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There's a very conflation between paid employment and 'working hard', as if paid employment is the only way someone can 'work hard' and that disliking it makes you 'lazy/bone idle'. 

If I could afford it I'd never do paid employment ever again. I'd instantly quit and never do a single second again. To some that would make me lazy. My current job involves sitting on my arse and doing spreadsheets, emails and Teams (other admin shit too). In what possible way is that 'working hard'? 

If I didn't have to work there is absolutely no way I'd be sitting in the one place in front of a screen for 7 hours. I'd actually be doing shit and be 'working' much 'harder' than I ever have done in paid employment, be that by fucking off on long walks/hikes, making things, doing a hobby or pretty much anything else.

This also spot on. If I won the lottery I’d quit literally minutes after confirming I’d won. That doesn’t make me lazy or work-shy, it just means I want to put my effort into doing things I enjoy.

5 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Fell out with a guy I'd hitherto got on very well with when he said 'young yins nowadays dinnae want tae work' - he turned into a seething mess when I said 'I don't want to work - why would anyone want to work?'

I've worked with some people that I genuinely believe would have no idea what to do with their time if they weren't working.  The kind of people that work practically all their waking hours.  Absolute crackpots.

Just now, Left Back said:

Not a clue.  It was a joke.

Ah ok. I couldn't have known, that's a widely held opinion and I don't know you so I can't tell from context.

I've known a few people become trade union officials because it was less work than their day job, including my dad. He became a shop steward because they didn't give you early and back shifts. But starting a union or bringing one into a company for the first time, that takes balls.

9 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'm lucky, I like my job, it's worth doing and if we all got a nice income whether we worked or not I'd still do it. Not 40 hours a week, 46 weeks a year, but I'd do something like it with a good chunk of my time. But previous jobs I've had in cash and carries, hotels, call centres, aye, I did a decent job while I was there but I wouldn't have spent a second longer there than I had to for the pay. Folk who think there's nobility in working just for the sake of it and to make someone else money... they're suckers. They've been brainwashed.

Here's a question - what's the minimum amount of money someone would have to give you to hand in your notice today. You can apply for other jobs, so it's only to walk out of your current job.

And another - what's the minimum annual income you would live on and not do any paid work?

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Here's a question - what's the minimum amount of money someone would have to give you to hand in your notice today. You can apply for other jobs, so it's only to walk out of your current job.

And another - what's the minimum annual income you would live on and not do any paid work?

First question; probably about £3500.

Second question; probably about £1500.

Guest TheJTS98
44 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Find your passion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a billionaire say that in a Ted Talk once. Must be right.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Haha, no! Thought it said 'monthly income'!

Annual would be £18,000.

Aye that looks more... survivable.

So if someone gave you £10,000 tax free every year, what would you do? Reduce your hours, work elsewhere?