The work shy and bone idle....

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s so many threads to this issue; I will only pick up on one.

There is not always a direct correlation between ‘hard work’ and reward.  I have worked hard and have a very nice life style, and, all going well, will soon be enjoying a very nice retirement.

That said, there’s folk who have worked hard all their lives and, due to a number of factors, are not so fortunate.

You should have paid them more and allowed them the occasional day off. 

1 minute ago, Peter Grant said:

You should have paid them more and allowed them the occasional day off. 

I don’t employ many folk but everyone gets paid the Living Wage as an absolute minimum.

We are never going to get anywhere near a decent society until that is mandatory, we bin zero hours contracts, properly regulate seasonal working, etc., etc..

When starting out at work it was in a “work hard, play hard” environment. It gave me great experiences and met friends (and a partner) for life. These days I do a job that’s quite creative and it’s pleasing to see folk really chuffed with the end result. It’s physically quite tough so I look at it as training for the stuff I like doing most (did I ever mention I like to do a bit of boxing). 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t employ many folk but everyone gets paid the Living Wage as an absolute minimum.

We are never going to get anywhere near a decent society until that is mandatory, we bin zero hours contracts, properly regulate seasonal working, etc., etc..

I’m only pulling your leg Grandbags. How do we achieve that though when the UK is a pretty right wing tinpot state? 

We are never going to get anywhere near a decent society until that is mandatory, we bin zero

Zero hour contracts can be beneficial to the employee as well as the employer. My work has just taken on two staff, they were offered the choice between zero and sixteen hour contracts. Both chose zero.

36 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

That's the ideal, tbf - as @GordonS said over the page, he's lucky enough to enjoy what he does for a living, which is great, but that's quite rare in my experience.

Think about the sheer number of people who cannae wait for the weekend to come.

Think about Sunday mornings - a long lie in bed with the Mrs, a leisurely breakfast, maybe a nice walk, followed by a few beers in the afternoon, a nice meal in the evening, before cuddling up to watch a movie.

Would you rather do that, or drag yourself out of bed and across town to get to a place you wouldn't otherwise go to, to spend time with people you don't necessarily like, and to do things that you would probably rather not do, then drag yourself back across town to collapse in front of the telly, too tired to do the things that you would actually like to do.

Why would anyone actually want to do that? 

Sundays are only as good as they are because they're not every day. Most of us would get bored pretty quickly with nothing to do. I'm not saying that needs to be paid work by any stretch but I think we'd all go loopy with no obligations.

Many jobs, if not most, are worth someone doing. Education - not just the teachers, everyone needed to make the thing work. Jannies, cleaners, dinner ladies, the people that make the teaching materials, the people that make the ink for the materials, the people that do the payroll for the people that make the ink for the materials... it just goes on and on. We need people to build our houses and roads and train stations and schools, and to maintain them, and to make the materials to make them. Behind that you need people doing planning and design, safety, employment law, consultation, sustainability, all the rest. Someone made my laptop, at the end of a series of long supply chains and as the result of decades of computing science, and I'm grateful to them for that. All of it makes life better.

It's not just that I want to do some of that, it's that I don't think it's fair for me to benefit from society and not contribute too. Rights and responsibilities, all that stuff.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s so many threads to this issue; I will only pick up on one.

There is not always a direct correlation between ‘hard work’ and reward.  I have worked hard and have a very nice life style, and, all going well, will soon be enjoying a very nice retirement.

That said, there’s folk who have worked hard all their lives and, due to a number of factors, are not so fortunate.

I'd go further and say there's very little correlation between hard work and reward at all. I don't work as hard as the folk at the bus stop on Aitkenhead Road at 5 in the morning going to the first of their three cleaning jobs of the day and I get paid far more. I don't work as hard now as I did as a barman or waiter but I get paid 3-4 times as much. Pay for those in social care is disgraceful. Most managers and professionals don't work as hard as those below them, though they tell themselves they do.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Independence.  

There's no reason employment law can't be devolved though. It always looked inconsistent to me. Now that we're outside the EU I can see the argument for a set of minimum standards in the UK, same as we had in the EU, but with the freedom to go beyond that wherever we want.

My wee gimmick to increase pay is to tie MPs' pay to salary benchmarks. They could get something like the median salary, plus 1.5 times the minimum wage for adults, plus the minimum wage for a 16 year old. They'd then have a direct incentive to increase pay for the lowest earners and the middle.

There should also be a rule of thumb in all companies that nobody gets paid more than 6 times what the lowest full-time worker gets.

Edited by GordonS

Just now, GordonS said:

Sundays are only as good as they are because they're not every day. Most of us would get bored pretty quickly with nothing to do. I'm not saying that needs to be paid work by any stretch but I think we'd all go loopy with no obligations.

I've heard people say this before, but I wouldn't get bored, and would find plenty of things to do.

Sometimes people can be defined by their work or what they do in their leisure time - is it Kev the painter/decorator or Kev the weekend drummer/Kev the Jambo, etc?

The problem for me is that employers want too much of you - work takes over your whole life - I agree that everyone should make a contribution, but I think a happy medium could be found - especially when there are millions unemployed - the bottom line/profit & loss is king at the moment, though.

I mind years ago in a live election debate, I lost count of the number of time David Cameron stressed the need to 'work hard' and for 'hard work' - the obvious reason there was for us to work hard for the benefit of dodgy Dave and his cronies - well, f**k that.

I don't think we're here for any particular reason, but I definitely don't think we're here to graft ourselves into an early grave.

I love relaxing, doing f**k all, playing some playstation and watching Yotube more than I do working for money, the mental thing is that people actually can monetize those passions and make considerable money from it I'm just also far too lazy to do so. 

21 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I've heard people say this before, but I wouldn't get bored, and would find plenty of things to do.

Sometimes people can be defined by their work or what they do in their leisure time - is it Kev the painter/decorator or Kev the weekend drummer/Kev the Jambo, etc?

The problem for me is that employers want too much of you - work takes over your whole life - I agree that everyone should make a contribution, but I think a happy medium could be found - especially when there are millions unemployed - the bottom line/profit & loss is king at the moment, though.

I mind years ago in a live election debate, I lost count of the number of time David Cameron stressed the need to 'work hard' and for 'hard work' - the obvious reason there was for us to work hard for the benefit of dodgy Dave and his cronies - well, f**k that.

I don't think we're here for any particular reason, but I definitely don't think we're here to graft ourselves into an early grave.

I agree and I think that office culture even in the home can become toxic. Email and Teams really gives too many people carte blanche to pester others all day with whatever shite pops into their had rather than doing actual work themselves. 
I often get annoyed because there is little time to get anything done because of other people just sending me messages and trying to send me on wild goose chases. 

delivering well on your actual job description rarely seems to be enough for people.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Many jobs, if not most, are worth someone doing. Education - not just the teachers, everyone needed to make the thing work. Jannies, cleaners, dinner ladies, the people that make the teaching materials, the people that make the ink for the materials, the people that do the payroll for the people that make the ink for the materials... it just goes on and on. We need people to build our houses and roads and train stations and schools, and to maintain them, and to make the materials to make them. Behind that you need people doing planning and design, safety, employment law, consultation, sustainability, all the rest. Someone made my laptop, at the end of a series of long supply chains and as the result of decades of computing science, and I'm grateful to them for that. All of it makes life better.

It's not just that I want to do some of that, it's that I don't think it's fair for me to benefit from society and not contribute too. Rights and responsibilities, all that stuff.

I'd far rather be bored and never have to work than have to work. But I would be so much more productive and busier if I never worked. I'd do so much more and wouldn't be sitting bored and depressed for 7 hours a day. It isn't natural for us to live this way.

8 hours a day and 5 days a week is far, far, far too much. It's fucking outrageous that this is just accepted by so many.

In relation to your point about most jobs are worth doing:

https://www.strike.coop/bullshit-jobs

51 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

there are actually some people who it suits, not many but some. 

A horrendous trade off. There's a better way of doing things for employees who it suits. Employers having the legal power to treat employees like shit is awful, and I can't believe anyone think zero hour contracts are in any way a good thing.