Your first XI vs England

I’d much prefer Clarke to give Patterson an opportunity to show he can be a player for us than give Forrest yet another opportunity to show he’s pish every time he pulls on a Scotland shirt with the exception of his wee Nations League purple patch. 38 caps and utterly unproductive in 36 of them.
Bring on the youth, if you’re good enough you’re old enough.

3 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

If he’s going to give boys like Paterson and Turnbull a shot then surely it has to be now.

It does them no good if Clarke just runs them out in (what could be) a meaningless game against Croatia.

I would be a lot more optimistic seeing either of those two names in the starting 11 instead of players like Christie, MacGregor and SOD.

Short of us getting battered by England, and having a goal difference that cannot be corrected, the Croatia game cannot be meaningless 

Marshall 

Paterson Cooper Gallagher Tierney Robbo

McTominay Gilmour 

McGinn

Dykes Adams

Just think SO’D’s not himself this tourney and although he’s played well with us to get here I think the occasion has gotten to him. Paterson has more to offer as a wing back than SOD as SOD is more of a traditional full back. Maybe Forrest could also put in a shift there. I also think Turnbull should come on as an impact sub, he’s one of the best players that’s not getting a look in. 

Edited by Ill Ray

38 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Short of us getting battered by England, and having a goal difference that cannot be corrected, the Croatia game cannot be meaningless 

Even if we lose 8-0 to England we will go into the Croatia game with a chance of 3rd, and with two other groups still to go it's fairly unlikely that we won't at least still have some chance of being the best third placed side.

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Even if we lose 8-0 to England we will go into the Croatia game with a chance of 3rd, and with two other groups still to go it's fairly unlikely that we won't at least still have some chance of being the best third placed side.

Yes on the first point. 

On the second point, the vast likelihood is that a GD of at least -2 will be necessary, and even then that would be fortunate.

Why the clamour for Gordon, did he impress against the Netherlands or did a free kick whistle past his ear without him moving?  If Gordon played yesterday would he have played high up the park, is that the Scotland tactic when pressing the opposition box? If so how can Marshall be criticised?

5 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

If he’s going to give boys like Paterson and Turnbull a shot then surely it has to be now.

It does them no good if Clarke just runs them out in (what could be) a meaningless game against Croatia.

I would be a lot more optimistic seeing either of those two names in the starting 11 instead of players like Christie, MacGregor and SOD.

Until now Stevie Clarke has enjoyed a very flattering ride from the Scottish football media.  Perhaps someone should now step forward and enquire what would be the circumstances for Patterson, Gilmour, Turnbull and even Adams to start a match.

This England squad is ferociously quick and we will need to match them the best we can. If Clarke sticks with O'Donnell at RWB then they may as well not even bother turning up. Like lamb to the slaughter. Biggest line up changes from Czech game for me is that Gilmour *has* to start this one and risk putting in Forrest as RWB instead of O'Donnell. He did reasonably well against the Netherlands. Far too soon for Patterson in a game of this magnitude. Struggled when he came on against Luxemburg. 

5-3-2 

Marshall/Gordon 

Forrest Cooper Hanley Tierney Robertson 

McTominay Gilmour McGinn 

Adams Christie 

Why the clamour for Gordon, did he impress against the Netherlands or did a free kick whistle past his ear without him moving?  If Gordon played yesterday would he have played high up the park, is that the Scotland tactic when pressing the opposition box? If so how can Marshall be criticised?
A goalkeeper on the halfway line is not a tactic, I dont care who's in goal now aslong as it's not Marshall, he's a liability.

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

This England squad is ferociously quick and we will need to match them the best we can. If Clarke sticks with O'Donnell at RWB then they may as well not even bother turning up. Like lamb to the slaughter. Biggest line up changes from Czech game for me is that Gilmour *has* to start this one and risk putting in Forrest as RWB instead of O'Donnell. He did reasonably well against the Netherlands. Far too soon for Patterson in a game of this magnitude. Struggled when he came on against Luxemburg. 

5-3-2 

Marshall/Gordon 

Forrest Cooper Hanley Tierney Robertson 

McTominay Gilmour McGinn 

Adams Christie 

I can't be bothered with a debate but he absolutely cruised it against Luxembourg. Shockingly impressive debut, he was like he was playing with his mates down the park. To me that and his debut in Europe for Rangers are conclusive proof he's going right to the top, like Andy Robertson type career. 

He got beat by their best player early, it was a good cutback and after he turned once already. Big deal, who cares, Roberto Carlos got turned every now and then. That's part of the game, any fullback would have been done by that it was sharp and clever. 

What is impressive is how he recovered, you could actually see him grow and learn in a few minutes, like you could genuinely see it. Some players take 5 years to do that, he took five minutes, exactly the same as his debut in Europe with Rangers. 

The kid is fantastic, fearless and fast. There's no way Clarke will do it but 100% he'd be starting if I was picking the team. I think there's a possibility he comes off the bench as Forrest will start imo and doesn't have 90 minutes in him. If he does I bet he's an absolute revelation.

Obviously people will focus on his sharpness, speed and good technique, citing the wee Cruyff turn he did and how confident he looked on the ball. But to me the most impressive part of Luxembourg was when he showed great recovery speed and aggression, sprinted back and shoulder charged their hardman off the ball and contemptous levels of confidence as he turned with the ball and strolled away from him.

That's the sort of thingt hat makes me think he'd be absolutely fine against England, and with his attributes he's the best equipped we've got. Young players tire so I wouldn't give him, or Gilmour, the full 90 but he'd be getting 70 with Forrest coming on to replace him.

I think he’ll stick with the back 5, he isn’t the type to rip it up and start again after one game. And if Tierney’s fit he should.

Gilmour needs to start, it was absolutely painful seeing the midfield offering the defence no out ball on Monday.

I’m tempted by the idea of putting McTominay back into the defence. Not been at all convinced with his recent midfield performances for Scotland. If he plays in the back then he has much more space to drive into.

I’d be fine with any one of Patterson, Forrest or Fraser playing instead of O’Donnell.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

I think he’ll stick with the back 5, he isn’t the type to rip it up and start again after one game. And if Tierney’s fit he should.

Gilmour needs to start, it was absolutely painful seeing the midfield offering the defence no out ball on Monday.

I’m tempted by the idea of putting McTominay back into the defence. Not been at all convinced with his recent midfield performances for Scotland. If he plays in the back then he has much more space to drive into.

I’d be fine with any one of Patterson, Forrest or Fraser playing instead of O’Donnell.

Brillaint profile pic mate! Is there a video of it online?

17 hours ago, ahemps said:

The fact Clarke brought on Forrest before Patterson yesterday tells us if SOD is to get dropped then it will likely be for Forrest before Patterson. Patterson should have been given more game time before now but he hasn't so it is very unlikely we will see him start a game in this tournament.

If Tierney isn't fit then I think we should go to a back 4 but then that would probably mean leaving SOD in as he would be unlikely to play Forrest as an out and out right back but can get away with him playing there with 5 at the back.

Clarke has been in the press giving an impassioned defence of SOD - can’t see him getting dropped tbh.

6 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Clarke has been in the press giving an impassioned defence of SOD - can’t see him getting dropped tbh.

I don't see it either. I think he is our weakest player and we should be looking at other options but Clarke simply isn't going to do that in the middle of a tournament.

4 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I don't see it either. I think he is our weakest player and we should be looking at other options but Clarke simply isn't going to do that in the middle of a tournament.

If he ends up playing O'Donnell because he believes he is the best candidate then fair enough. But if he plays him out of defiance, loyalty or stubbornness then it's a slippery slope.