G'Day! Ange's Gap Year Celtic Euro Backpacking Tour 2021/22.

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yep. It’s why neither club should ever be let away with saying ‘we do everything within our power to eradicate sectarianism’. 

We all know what this was about. It’s harmless enough for them and their fans to give it the ‘who me?’ Retort. But we all know. 

Plenty of sports teams have visited the pope. I'm not sure the answer to sectarianism and anti-catholic sentiment from some Rangers fans or in wider Scottish society is for Celtic not to visit the pope. 

46 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Except that there are hundreds of sports teams/people who visit the Pope when in Rome, it’s not an uncommon thing however the only place with an issue with it is here, Celtic aren’t exactly setting precedent here 

There is probably an issue with it here because in 2023 people are sick to the back teeth of two tediously vile football clubs,whose whole pointless existence appears to be predicated purely on fanning the dying embers of late 19th/early 20th century religious bigotry for financial gain, continuously playing to the basest secterian elements of their fan base. It's obvious what they're doing, it's repugnant and it has absolutely nothing in common with any individual's genuine affiliation or affection with either the papacy or the monarchy. And it is certainly an utterly irrelevant piece of Old Firm whataboutery to say 'but loads of other sportsman visit the pope' . 

44 minutes ago, Buckets said:

Plenty of sports teams have visited the pope. I'm not sure the answer to sectarianism and anti-catholic sentiment from some Rangers fans or in wider Scottish society is for Celtic not to visit the pope. 

Just as well I didn’t say that it was. 

14 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

There would be much sucking of teeth, shaking of heads and tut tutting if Clement fetched up at the HQ of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland and presented the Grand Master with an autographed Rangers jersey, with his name printed on the back.

Although he's probably got one already.

I dunno so much. According to some we have no teeth.

He’ll have the orange away top. Cert.

Edited by Ooooft.

On 30/11/2023 at 10:46, Jacksgranda said:

There would be much sucking of teeth, shaking of heads and tut tutting if Clement fetched up at the HQ of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland and presented the Grand Master with an autographed Rangers jersey, with his name printed on the back.

Although he's probably got one already.

I don't like the Catholic church or the OO but are you seriously trying to compare visiting these two in terms of bigotry? I've said in another thread I would rather Celtic didn't use it for a media opportunity but that comparison is quite a stretch. I think you may have lived in NI for too long with that mentality.

Edited by gannonball

On 30/11/2023 at 12:23, kennie makevin said:

There is probably an issue with it here because in 2023 people are sick to the back teeth of two tediously vile football clubs,whose whole pointless existence appears to be predicated purely on fanning the dying embers of late 19th/early 20th century religious bigotry for financial gain, continuously playing to the basest secterian elements of their fan base. It's obvious what they're doing, it's repugnant and it has absolutely nothing in common with any individual's genuine affiliation or affection with either the papacy or the monarchy. And it is certainly an utterly irrelevant piece of Old Firm whataboutery to say 'but loads of other sportsman visit the pope' . 

Then it doesn’t really matter who we visited then as your irrational hatred of Celtic will cause you to be triggered by anything we do but if you honestly think Brendan Rodgers when he knew he was going to Rome thought “I know what will rile the people and play to the basest sectarian element of our support…..I’ll take the lads to visit tha Pope. No one will care that countless sports teams do this, the people will lose their shit and the lunatics will build me a statue and that will stir up sectarian tension cause I fucking love that shit” then you are a bigger clown than I ever took you for. 

Don’t get me wrong I’d much rather they were on the plane back home after getting put out of Europe rather than go on a jolly to the Vatican as the result matters much much more to me however trying to denormalise a sports team visiting the Vatican and suggesting a narrative that it’s motivated by sectarianism is laughable, utterly utterly laughable. You can think it’s cringeworthy because it probably is and that would be a pretty normal way to respond

Edited by Jinky67

• 2 weeks later...