Fun facts

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In the Mount Pleasant complex. There was a job advertised there on the civil service website a couple of weeks ago.

We'd a Falkland islander on secondment/swap for a few months. There were as many people in our office as there were Falkland Island Residents. 

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

2.1% of all European Championship goals were scored today.

2 more own goals and there will have been more own goals in these Euros than all the others put together.

I never thought I'd say this, but come on England, break a record tonight!

• 4 weeks later...
There is more DNA in a bucket of seawater than there is in the human body. 
If a single molecule of DNA was the width of a typical garden hose, it would be 9000 miles long.

Per person, Saudi Arabia has more farmland than China.

Andorra has the second lowest population density in Europe.

P.S. Can't remember the measure used when I read this, and on a strict pop/land area it doesn't appear to be true. It's basically one road surrounded by uninhabitable mountains, so it's probably true by another definition.

Edited by welshbairn

50% of Canadians live further south than most residents of Washington (state), Montana & North Dakota 

image.png.53d702ca7e7aeca8c7c25bbd066eb3fc.png

Furthermore, latitudinally, more US residents live further north than Canada's most southerly point (Middle Island) than the entire population of Canada... and if that's not enough, there are bits of California further north than Canada's most southerly point.

Edited by Hedgecutter

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

50% of Canadians live further south than most residents of Washington (state), Montana & North Dakota 

Furthermore, latitudinally, more US residents live further north than Canada's most southerly point (Middle Island) than the entire population of Canada... and if that's not enough, there are bits of California further north than Canada's most southerly point.

That last fact is absolutely wild.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Almost all Canadians live further south than Scotland.

And Shetland is north of the southern end of Greenland. 

I've often wondered what proportion of the world lives further from the equator than Glasgow/Edinburgh or Scotland. I reckon it must be less than 1%.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I've often wondered what proportion of the world lives further from the equator than Glasgow/Edinburgh or Scotland. I reckon it must be less than 1%.

Cape Horn in South America is the same distance from the Equator as Edinburgh. 

Apart from Antarctica (and maybe some obscure uninhabited islands) that is as far south as you can go without getting your feet wet.

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

As you already know, Sanikiluaq is the most southerly part of Nunavut and is the same latitude as Blairgowrie and Bridge of Orchy.

I also suspect it can get bitterly cold.

That Gulf Stream sure warm things up a bit for us.

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Cape Horn in South America is the same distance from the Equator as Edinburgh. 

Apart from Antarctica (and maybe some obscure uninhabited islands) that is as far south as you can go without getting your feet wet.

Yeah, that's why I referred to distance from the equator instead of just north. Most folk think we're about level with New Zealand but we're the equivalent of a third of the way from New Zealand to Antarctica.

The northernmost point on the Antarctic mainland is only 3 degrees further from the equator than the top of Shetland.

The most southerly airport in the world is on the equivalent latitude to Darlington.

The most northerly stadium to host a UEFA match is on the equivalent latitude to the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. And they played there in the winter.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

The last descendant of Genghis Khan to be Head of State was deposed in 1920. A seven hundred year legacy.

The heir to the Holy Roman Empire - and the House of Habsburg - is a guy called Karl. He used to be an MEP. 

The title of the Holy Roman Emperor wasn't really dynastic so it doesn't work like that, but still. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_von_Habsburg