Time to go Steve Clarke

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well its all about opinions. But I must say it very much surprised me when you said that we played very very well against ukraine and regardless of any results that Clarke should have a job for life. Its such a wildly inaccurate view.

Glad to have put you right on that one!

In recent times, Morten Olsen with Denmark and Oscar Tabarez with Uruguay led those respective sides for 15 years. I'd love for Clarke to be our version of that but it's dependent on results, obviously. He got it wrong against Ukraine but hopefully he can achieve Euro 2024 qualification now.

I think Clarke will be away after the Euro 2024 campaign regardless of outcome. If we don't qualify then the SFA probably won't renew his contract, and if we do qualify then I reckon he'll see it as a good time to bow out and get back into club management.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think Clarke will be away after the Euro 2024 campaign regardless of outcome. If we don't qualify then the SFA probably won't renew his contract, and if we do qualify then I reckon he'll see it as a good time to bow out and get back into club management.

You don’t think he would fancy a crack at qualifying for an expanded World Cup? 

I suppose we've no idea if he views managing his national side as a goal in itself, or if it's a stepping stone to a better job in club management, like...certain other managers we've had.

I suppose we've no idea if he views managing his national side as a goal in itself, or if it's a stepping stone to a better job in club management, like...certain other managers we've had.

I’m not convinced that international management is valued too favourably by clubs. Look at where the likes of Chris Coleman and Michael O’Neill ended up. I’m not convinced that doing well for Scotland would put Clarke in contention for any bigger jobs than if he went in on the back of his success at Kilmarnock and previous managerial and coaching experience.

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’m not convinced that international management is valued too favourably by clubs. Look at where the likes of Chris Coleman and Michael O’Neill ended up. I’m not convinced that doing well for Scotland would put Clarke in contention for any bigger jobs than if he went in on the back of his success at Kilmarnock and previous managerial and coaching experience.

International management is a different skill set to club management. International management is really all about getting the most out of a defined set of players, whereas in club management half the battle is actually building the squad you want to win with.

In some ways I think good international managers are good in-season replacements when a team is in relegation trouble and just needs someone to come in and work with the squad they have, but doing well at the likes of the old firm or English Premier League clubs relies on smart use of the transfer market, a skill which is completely obsolete in international football. 

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

You don’t think he would fancy a crack at qualifying for an expanded World Cup? 

There are only 3 more places for UEFA in the bigger tournament from 13 to 16 teams.

Teams not qualified this year = Italy, Sweden, Turkey, Russia, Ukraine, Czech Rep. It will be difficult but Serbia and Wales prove that with a good side and a bit of fortune then countries like ours can do it. 

We really need to improve our rankings to give us a more favourable qualifying group, we need to be in the 2nd seeds to do that.

11 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

im a morton fan.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Do people remember he came from Kilmarnock?? Not a big team.

Ah, I get it now!  :P

22 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I suppose it depends on how successful they are in the job. Coleman's "mistake" was maybe to stay on after Euro 2016 until his star had waned a bit.

Donathan's right on it being a different skill set, but that's never stopped a chairman dropping in a poor choice because of the name or reputation.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The last two managers to leave the Scotland job whilst being successful were Smith and McLeish, and they both got relatively big jobs of the stature that Clarke might be looking for.

Walter Smith went back to Rangers and McLeish to Birmingham City right?

In many ways I’d like to think the Scotland job is more prestigious than those roles but there’s an element of you either dying a hero or living long enough to become the villain so it probably makes sense to take one of those jobs rather than stay at Scotland, get sacked after a downturn in form and end up at Dundee Utd. 

I'm not convinced Clarke will be looking to club management again. He'll be 60 by the time the next Euros happen, he could easily see out his career with Scotland. Smith would've done the same if Rangers never came back for him IMO. McLeish was younger than Clarke is now and probably felt he had more to offer club management. No doubt some offers out there would tempt him but I hope he stays. 

Aye I think international management is more suitable to an older candidate, someone who's had a career already. McLeish was still young and would have been unsatisfied with another campaign in a part time job.

When it comes to suitable candidates to replace Clark (hypothetically, at the moment) I want the SFA to go down the FAI route and get third party funding to pay for a top candidate like they did with Trappatoni.

Or at least fucking sell it as a prestigious job. And definitely not just give it to one of their pals.

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

Or at least fucking sell it as a prestigious job. And definitely not just give it to one of their pals.

This is always the concern, their absolutely miles out of touch.

The list would be like

Mcinnis, Jack Ross, gemmill, Alex Neil

And the job would probably go to Malky Mackay.

Which is it were the case I'd rather stick with clarke tbh.

Hopefully as you say they could think a bit outside the box.

Im still touting Bielsa, he would probably realise what hes working with at the sfa and jack it after a couple of wks. But it would be a laugh anyway.

This is what Steve Clarke said in the Guardian. I agree fully with it.

On the tactical side, people will say: Why did you play two up front? Twelve games ago you were all asking me why I didn’t play two up front. That’s the reality. You can mix and match. No one questioned the two up front against Austria away and England at Wembley. It was more about we just didn’t play to our capacity on Wednesday night. And that might be hard for people to accept but that is the fact of the matter. We did not play as well as we could play.

We’ve got to suffer that. We have to take that massive disappointment. Nobody is hiding away from that. We didn’t perform on the night and we have to live with that, but move on.

Steve Clarke

I need them, I want them to help me because I want to go to a World Cup with my country and I told them that after the game.

I said to them: I can’t do that unless you get me to Euro 2024. So they can help me. That is serious. I would love to do it. It was a big ambition to go this year, it hasn’t worked. I would love to go in 2026 but results and circumstances will dictate what happens. But this group of players, whether they are led by me or someone else, definitely can go to 2024 and 2026.

We had shown a resilience before, I keep telling you, this is a good group of players who want to be successful for their country. When you have got that, you are looking to bounce back in the next game, you are looking to do well and you are looking to start the next unbeaten run.

Steve Clarke

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/04/steve-clarke-knows-euro-2024-failure-kill-scotland-world-cup-dream-football

1 hour ago, velo army said:

When it comes to suitable candidates to replace Clark (hypothetically, at the moment) I want the SFA to go down the FAI route and get third party funding to pay for a top candidate like they did with Trappatoni.

Did we not do that with Bertie Vogts?