End of Away Goal Rule

Lex

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hmmmm, I'd never thought of penalties as a leveller in that sense but I suppose you're right.

Do I need to revisit a long held opinion?

I'm not sure if I can do that.

I make it personal policy to absolutely never do so.

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Hmmmm, I'd never thought of penalties as a leveller in that sense but I suppose you're right.

No, tell him to f*** off as he's a roaster, that's the usual response around here to a contrary viewpoint

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

No, tell him to f*** off as he's a roaster, that's the usual response around here to a contrary viewpoint

Agreed.

I'm also going to accuse him of being seething, suffering a meltdown and experiencing a head's gone, despite the absence of evidence of any of the above.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Straight to penalties. With the penalties being taken like they do in Ice Hockey, or in the first season (I think) of the MLS.

You'd need a hell of a size of a stick.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just kid on you've given it some thought then go back to what you said in the first place.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I liked it as a rule.

Just the latest good thing about European club football to vanish.

This.

I'd have kept it.

3 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Always thought it wasn't fair that away goals counted at the end of extra time - one team had an extra 30 minutes that the other team didn't have in the first leg so never liked that. If it was 1-1 and 2-2 for example then it should have gone to penalties.

This.

3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Straight to pens would have been better than scrapping the away goals.

This.

The cynic in me wondered which of Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG or Bayern had lost on away goals recently..

I've always favoured a massive "last man standing" pagar at the end instead of a penalty shootout.

I quite like the away goal rule.  This will just mean more extra time and penalties and then the bigger clubs complaining, too much football.

After they have thought about it they will just scrap the 2 legged affairs in the qualifying stages and the higher ranked team getting the one legged home fixture.

Edited by SlipperyP

IIRC away goals were introduced as an alternative to playing a playoff.  There wasn’t any real need to keep it once we moved to extra time + penalties.

It would also be interesting to see how home advantage has changed since its introduction,  I suspect it’s been significantly reduced.

13 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Straight to penalties. With the penalties being taken like they do in Ice Hockey, or in the first season (I think) of the MLS.

I think it was like that back in the original incarnation of the league, the days of Pele et al.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

IIRC away goals were introduced as an alternative to playing a playoff.  There wasn’t any real need to keep it once we moved to extra time + penalties.

Back in the 60s weren't some ties decided on the toss of a coin? Seems crazy now.

2 hours ago, Northboy said:

Back in the 60s weren't some ties decided on the toss of a coin? Seems crazy now.

After the 3rd game Liverpool made the semi-finals of the European Cup on a coin toss, which had to be retaken as it fell straight in the mud, not on either heads or tails.

He took Liverpool captain Ron Yeats and the Cologne skipper Wolfgang Overath to the centre circle followed by a couple of cameramen with the rest of the two sides looking on, but to add to the drama, the heavy playing surface in the Netherlands that day would play havoc even with something as simple as a toss of a coin.

“I got in first to the referee and said 'I’ll have tails,” recalls Ron Yeats. “Lucky for me the referee said okay.” But as the coin came down onto the playing surface it landed at an angle which was impossible for anyone to see whether it had landed head or tails side up. “Ref, you’re going to have to re-toss the coin,” Yeats shouted at Mr Schaut and to his amazement, the Belgian official agreed.

“I thought the German captain was going to hit him. He was going berserk because it was falling over on the heads,” remembers Yeats. “He picked it up, it went up again, and this time came down tails.”

Also Celtic v Benfica 

The ref asked the Celtic captain to call. McNeill revealed years later in his autobiography “Hail Cesar”, that on this occasion his stomach was churning and he felt that he would “rather be anywhere else at that moment”. He turned to his manager and asked him what he should call. Stein’s reported reply was “You’re on your own.”

McNeill called “heads” and won the toss. The referee then informed him this was just to see which of the captains would have the right to spin the coin. He handed the Scotsman the silver Dutch 2 guilder piece to toss into the air to determine which club would win the tie. “I stuck with my hunch and called heads again,”

Oh, and Italy made it to the final of Euro '68 om a coin toss

Italy and the USSR could not be split despite 120 minutes of play -- the game ending 0-0 after extra time -- so with the trusty old penalty shootout not introduced until two years later, the rules stated a coin toss would determine the victors. The match officials scuttled off pretty quickly, not wanting to be the ones to decide such a huge game in such a silly way, so it fell to a Senor Pujols, the UEFA official on duty, to do the honours.

After some argument about the currency of coin used (a peseta, a ruble and a dollar were all apparently rejected), Pujols flipped a Dutch guilder into the air; Soviet captain Albert Shesternyov called heads but it came down tails, sending Italy through to the final. Rumour has it that was actually the second attempt at the toss after the first coin had disappeared under a grate. Later, one of the match officials supposedly went to recover the original coin, which lay there with the head staring straight upwards. On such fine and random margins, these things are decided.

Edited by SlipperyP

Idiotic decision which will be reversed within a few years. Away goals rule is brilliant, this will result in many more torturous games that are painful to watch. And also more penalty shoot outs which are absolute horse, and anyone who likes penalties are ones for the watching. Get a hold of the hard drive of anyone who thinks penalties are good. Astonishingly stupid decision.

7 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Idiotic decision which will be reversed within a few years. Away goals rule is brilliant, this will result in many more torturous games that are painful to watch. And also more penalty shoot outs which are absolute horse, and anyone who likes penalties are ones for the watching. Get a hold of the hard drive of anyone who thinks penalties are good. Astonishingly stupid decision.

This post confirms its the correct decision and I havent even read it. 

Guest TheJTS98
9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It would also be interesting to see how home advantage has changed since its introduction,  I suspect it’s been significantly reduced.

Hugely reduced. The Athletic gave the figures, but I can't recall them exactly. But the difference since the introduction of AG is significant.

8 hours ago, Northboy said:

There were various attempts to introduce alternative methods - including corner count (during WWII there were a pair of League Cup Finals decided on corner count) based on theory that whoever was better in attack won more corners; next-goal-the-winner which was basically "golden goal" (during 1947 fuel crisis all Scottish Cup ties moved from replays to this system - Hibs beat Motherwell in Scottish Cup SFs by scoring with 9 mins left in 4th half of extra-time); and even as a last resort adding-up all goals each club had scored in previous rounds although I don't think this ever got used in Britain - obviously it benefited whoever got a minnow and spanked them.

Look back into Victorian times and if you drew in the Scottish Cup then drew the replay BOTH clubs were put through into the next round.

Even after penalty shootouts were invented some tweaks occurred: e.g. Club A take all 5 then Club B... always 5 each no sudden-death... etc. etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee