2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

On 17/03/2022 at 14:50, Jimmy Shaker said:

There's also the question of whether Buckie can actually be bothered with promotion, which has lingered since all this started. One would think they would have to be, given the window of opportunity is getting smaller with every year the Lowland League improves. 

I mind the ex-Buckie chairman in an interview saying as much a few years ago just before a Scottish Cup game I think. Buckie will always be top dogs in the HL or thereabouts now, as it has lost Elgin (though for how long ?!?) Peterhead, County, Cove and two Inverness teams in the last 25 years to the SFL. 

Economically, does it make sense for them to chase some unattainable dream in Div 2, or stay where they can always be there or thereabouts for silverware?

I was brought up there and a former season ticket holder as a wean...but it just never even came up back then. Highland League football was treated like outer Siberia by the SFA. I wonder if there is actually any appetite for it in the town now.

13 minutes ago, Jimmain said:

I mind the ex-Buckie chairman in an interview saying as much a few years ago just before a Scottish Cup game I think. Buckie will always be top dogs in the HL or thereabouts now, as it has lost Elgin (though for how long ?!?) Peterhead, County, Cove and two Inverness teams in the last 25 years to the SFL. 

Economically, does it make sense for them to chase some unattainable dream in Div 2, or stay where they can always be there or thereabouts for silverware?

I was brought up there and a former season ticket holder as a wean...but it just never even came up back then. Highland League football was treated like outer Siberia by the SFA. I wonder if there is actually any appetite for it in the town now.

I think the club has run the numbers (properly this time) and realised its more lucrative than they may have thought previously. The fans seem scared of anything south of Portlethen, but it seems to be dawning on everyone that - as mentioned - the chances of actually getting up are about to start thinning out. Brora must surely regret their fluffed effort against Montrose. 

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Next moan will be having to play 9 games in 4 weeks, assuming they're fit by Wednesday. Do we have dates for the play offs yet?

Not seen any dates nor confirmation of whether the two (likely) unlicensed tier 6 champions will be in a three way play-off or whether BOD will go straight to play club 18 - which could be on the 23rd and 30th as BOD are free. Whereas the Midlands League still playing on the 23rd.

16 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Not seen any dates nor confirmation of whether the two (likely) unlicensed tier 6 champions will be in a three way play-off or whether BOD will go straight to play club 18 - which could be on the 23rd and 30th as BOD are free. Whereas the Midlands League still playing on the 23rd.

I think it will be a straight play off between BOD and more than likely FW, unlicenced clubs can't take part in play offs

1 hour ago, kevsmart said:

I think it will be a straight play off between BOD and more than likely FW, unlicenced clubs can't take part in play offs

I was thinking they might have the tier 6 playoffs anyway to give BoD some game time while they wait for Fort to finish their season, but I see the Midland League don't finish till the end of April so probably not.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was thinking they might have the tier 6 playoffs anyway to give BoD some game time while they wait for Fort to finish their season, but I see the Midland League don't finish till the end of April so probably not.

No licensed champion from the NCL and Carnousite just 7 points from the title, not sure I see the point in having a tier 6 play-off as it would just delay BOD's inevitable promotion.

If you are only playing Saturdays then the quickest it could be done is to have BOD v NCL champion on the 23rd, BOD v Midlands 30th, NCL v Midlands 7th May while BOD v HL 18th then HL 18th v BOD on 14th May. Means bottom HL club is waiting about for a few weeks.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

BoD will be hanging around for 3 weeks waiting for Fort anyway. They'll have to think about synchronising the end of seasons at tier 6 a bit better for next year. 

Looks like they've a League Cup final v Rothie/Bridge of Don and at least a McLeman Cup QF still to play.

On 19/03/2022 at 23:33, Ginaro said:

Looks like they've a League Cup final v Rothie/Bridge of Don and at least a McLeman Cup QF still to play.

Not sure when they're scheduled for.

Fort William fixtures

Wednesday 23 Mar 2022 Forres
Saturday 26 Mar 2022 Locos
Wednesday 30 Mar 2022 Keith
Saturday 02 Apr 2022 Keith
Wednesday 06 Apr 2022 Rothes
Saturday 09 Apr 2022 Brechin
Monday 11 Apr 2022 Turriff
Wednesday 13 Apr 2022 Strathspey
Saturday 16 Apr 2022 Vale
*Saturday 23 Apr 2022 Banks o'Dee
*Saturday 30 Apr 2022 Banks o'Dee
*probably

Banks o'Dee fixtures

SATURDAY 26 Mar 2022 Banchory
SATURDAY 2 Apr 2022 Dyce
Saturday 23 Apr 2022 Fort*
Saturday 30 Apr 2022 Fort*
*probably

Edited by welshbairn

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure when they're scheduled for.

Banks o'Dee fixtures

SATURDAY 26 Mar 2022 Banchory
SATURDAY 2 Apr 2022 Dyce
Saturday 23 Apr 2022 Fort*
Saturday 30 Apr 2022 Fort*
*probably

The semi mentioned above is on the 26th so I guess the cup final would fill the two week gap along with the other cup.