2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

1 minute ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Steven McKay has rage quit as Brora manager this evening.

Ooft! Thought things weren't well with the quality of the players leaving in the summer, but didn't expect the arse whipping they got today. It's between Fraserburgh, Buckie and Brechin for the title now. If I could find any odds I might plump for Buckie.

Ooft! Thought things weren't well with the quality of the players leaving in the summer, but didn't expect the arse whipping they got today. It's between Fraserburgh, Buckie and Brechin for the title now. If I could find any odds I might plump for Buckie.

I’d love to see Buckie in the league system as my girlfriend has family up that way, would be an easy away game for me.

That will really rock Brora, I think it’s safe to say they won’t be title challengers this season. I would love to see Fraserburgh go up. Would be brilliant to have a team from that corner of the country in the SPFL. Would be a good away trip for Peterhead and Elgin fans you’d imagine.

26 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

That will really rock Brora, I think it’s safe to say they won’t be title challengers this season. I would love to see Fraserburgh go up. Would be brilliant to have a team from that corner of the country in the SPFL. Would be a good away trip for Peterhead and Elgin fans you’d imagine.

Keep the scum down 😎

Rothes 2-2 Nairn was my first Highland League game since January last year and a very enjoyable one at that. Rothes looked like a decent team playing below their best and Nairn probably looked the more dangerous of the two. Seeing Ali McKenzie at left back was interesting, he looked unplayable going forward at times but wasn't always fussed about tracking back the other way.

Are Brora in turmoil?  Pumped three-zip at home by Pitmedden's finest.  That was one of a few eye-catching results today - Buckie went nap in the Banffshire derby, Rothes and Keith got creditable draws against Brechin and the Locos, and Lossie took care of Wick by the odd goal in three.  The Broch are still on maximum points with a 3-2 win at Nairn, and the Can-Cans matched that score with a good away win in ..... er..... Forres.  Special mention for Huntly who made the short trip to Turra and stuck four past the struggling fermers without reply.  

The Locos manager is the latest to quit.

Inverurie Loco Works FC wish to announce that they have, regretfully, accepted the resignation of manager Andy Low. Andy felt that the pressures of such a high profile position was affecting his family life to such a degree that he could no longer continue in his post. Andy has been in charge for twenty two months but, due to Covid, has only been in charge for thirty two games, winning eighteen. Chairman Mike Macaulay said "We are hugely disappointed that Andy has decided to resign so early in the season. He was a terrific young manager who along with an experienced and committed backroom staff, put together a young and very talented team in a relatively short period of playing time. We are extremely grateful for his huge contribution to the Club and I am sure the players will be as disappointed as we are that he is stopping, but family and health come first, so we just have to accept his decision and move on and wish Andy all the best for the future. Steven Park, Richard Davidson and John Farquhar will take over team matters until a new manager is appointed. It is now a great opportunity for someone to come in and manage an ambitious and well resourced club with such a talented and committed group of players and backroom staff in what is now a highly prestigious Breedon Highland League.
Anyone interested in the Locos Manager position should, in the first instance, email inverurielocoworksfc@highlandleague.com
Andy Low added, "This has been the toughest decision I have had to make but one I feel is the right one. Over the last couple of weeks in particular, I have found the intensity of football management and the emotions that come with it very difficult to balance during this period in my life with a young family and work commitments. I have always been someone that aims to set an example and work as hard as anyone but on this occasion, I have found the pressure I have put on myself to be too much. I'd like to thank everyone at the club for their support during my time in charge. The backing I have had from the committee, fans, sponsors, my coaching staff & players has been brilliant and I can't thank them enough for that. It's a fantastic club to be involved in and it's been an honour.
I'd hope after a tough eighteen months during the pandemic, I have helped guide the club through this period and into a stronger position to be successful in the future with a very exciting squad of players. I am looking forward to watching this squad progress and I will be regular at Harlaw Park supporting the club."