2021-22 Highland League Chat

Ray Patterson

The way the first half went, Fraserburgh’s players wouldn’t have spotted a flute band marching towards their goal. So flat and tame from them. 

Early goal next week and this is back on, but the Broch need to find some spark or something that winds them up because they were far too quiet today. 

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Really? Cowdenbeath needed penalties the last time they were up against the LL champion. 

I'd say the East Kilbride of 2017 were better than the boot it up the park to Bigfoot Bonnyrigg of 2022, and likewise Cowdenbeath are a better team than then too, having just lost their first game in seven.

Bonnyrigg ran away from the pack in the LL every bit as much as Kelty did and that included full-time professional Old Firm colt teams this time around. Cup games have shown that there isn't a gulf in standards between the lower end of the SPFL and top teams at tier 5 or in the WoS and EoS. Could go either way but I'd lean more towards Bonnyrigg getting the job done.

Today was the first time I've seen Bonnyrigg play, but their style is deeply unattractive, disrupt play by any means necessary and boot the ball up the park. I've heard it was the same the first leg. It might be effective at tier 5 but I really hope it doesn't take them any further. 

A squad of us were at the game today, after being at Arbroath last night. Bonnyrigg were certainly the bigger and much more physical side - it looked men against boys in terms of physical stature, and opposite to the stereotype of 'robust' Highland League teams. Fraserburgh piled some decent pressure on in the closing stages but the result over two legs looked fair enough.

I can't see Bonnyrigg beating Cowdenbeath tbh, although perhaps losing that puffing mess of a centre forward will improve them for the first leg. 

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Today was the first time I've seen Bonnyrigg play, but their style is deeply unattractive, disrupt play by any means necessary and boot the ball up the park. I've heard it was the same the first leg. It might be effective at tier 5 but I really hope it doesn't take them any further. 

They were protecting a two goal lead - that's how cynical teams do it. Until the ropey final stages it was a professional job from Bonnyrigg's point of view. Fraserburgh were just as direct in their play - their long balls were targeted for their pacey forwards to run onto though, rather than being aimed at a gable end no. 9. 

Firstly, as many people are aware, Fort William’s pitch at Claggan Park was deemed unplayable by an unqualified person (contrary to LMC rules) at the beginning of the 2021-22 season. The decision was made by the LMC to make Fort William play their games away from home. 

A reminder of the state of the pitch just before the season was due to start, without a word of warning to the Highland League.

Up until 3.30pm on the day before the game, the LMC were unaware of their own rule regarding keepers and were wrongly advising the club. We were fully aware of the rules and as such did not want to enter into the fixture and be penalised should their mistake be found out.

confused-no.gif

At no point were the club advised to roll and line the park prior to this visit.

How could they be expected to know that they should make the pitch look playable for a pitch inspection? :1eye :bairn

Were they not to told to cut and line it after the first visit and refused?

Lots of lying by omission in that statement.

If they bieved they knew the rules on player registration then play a team according to those rules. They weren't obliged to field a team going by what the LMC were saying.

If they really had concerns play the fixture under protest but a lot harder to play the victim if you have been bodied on the pitch.

Hopefully the SFA tell them to f**k off and let them know their license is under review whilst they are at it.