English Premier League 2021/22 Season

Just now, Mr. Brightside said:

I thought it was no longer a foul if it hit your leg then arm?

If it's accidental.  But deliberate handball is always a foul and always has been.  I assume the ref thought it was deliberate.  

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

Has to be a red. Its a goal if he doesn't handle it. 

Hero to zero for James. 

This is the point for me.

I know it's not the actual rule that's in place, but if a defender's arm is the only thing that stops it going in the goal, then surely that has to be a penalty regardless of whether it's deliberate.

Surely if it’s a penalty then it has to be a red card? 

But it was a natural movement, I'm not sure a red is fair. Yellow all day aye and it's a penalty but the penalty and a booking is enough punishment. If he intentionally stopped it then fair enough. I don't think that was intentional.

5 minutes ago, Proposition Joe said:

Only if it was deliberate surely.

Aye, but I’m assuming the ref has only given the penalty because he thinks it was deliberate. Because if he thought it was accidental, then it wouldn’t be a penalty since it hit his leg first? Is that no the rule now?

edit: Basically what i’m trying to say is I think it has to be either both a penalty and red, or neither.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

But it was a natural movement, I'm not sure a red is fair. Yellow all day aye and it's a penalty but the penalty and a booking is enough punishment. If he intentionally stopped it then fair enough. I don't think that was intentional.

Thing is, if the ref didn't think it was deliberate it isn't a foul because it bounced off his thigh first.  There's no middle ground in that situation.  Ref deemed it deliberate which is a foul, and also it's a red because it denied a goal and wasn't a genuine attempt to play the ball.  

I think.