Incels, and their insane world view.

Ric

On 20/08/2021 at 09:57, Miguel Sanchez said:

In terms of what can be done to try and stop this... I don't know. Maybe the older posters here who remember a life before the internet was as ubiquitous as it is now can tell us what the lonely weirdos did to stave off murder sprees. I don't know how that will help people with these problems who live in an age of 24/7 echo chambers though.

There a an element of explanation in your description of the issue…”live in an age of 24/7 echo chambers”.

In the 50’s through the 80’s, there was little of the issues we see day to day on the surface, but studies show there was a pretty good undercurrent of problems that society ignored (domestic violence, child abuse, etc) as being “family matters”. As we moved into the 90’s, and the development of electronic communications and the World Wide Web, we found advocates raising these issues and demanding action.

The problem was that it seems many of the same issues that were raised then have effectively moved into the so called metaverse. We have a place where it is considered acceptable by many to hide behind alter egos and attack people. Does it surprise us that these same digital warriors are willing to expect certain things as their right, because because?

As online images became more available, and more and more extreme, the perception of what was normal, reasonable or expected has become twisted for some of these people and help create this mess, a mess that there is no easy way out of. The same style propaganda that had been used to reach out to now-Nazis and white suprematists for years is simply is what has been swallowed whole, hook, line and sinker, by the Incels. They have become sold on the notion that something they are entitled to has been withheld, and in doing so they have dehumanized the targets of their envy and hatred.

Some will refuse to take the final step and abandon the community, but far too many accept the principle that violence against the “haves” is the answer…even through there is no rational explanation for how such behavior will help them. They have now narrowed their world view to us versus them, much like those Trump supporters booing their leader for suggesting getting vaccinated have no interest in facts, just in fulfilling their fevered imaginations.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There a an element of explanation in your description of the issue…”live in an age of 24/7 echo chambers”.

In the 50’s through the 80’s, there was little of the issues we see day to day on the surface, but studies show there was a pretty good undercurrent of problems that society ignored (domestic violence, child abuse, etc) as being “family matters”. As we moved into the 90’s, and the development of electronic communications and the World Wide Web, we found advocates raising these issues and demanding action.

The problem was that it seems many of the same issues that were raised then have effectively moved into the so called metaverse. We have a place where it is considered acceptable by many to hide behind alter egos and attack people. Does it surprise us that these same digital warriors are willing to expect certain things as their right, because because?

As online images became more available, and more and more extreme, the perception of what was normal, reasonable or expected has become twisted for some of these people and help create this mess, a mess that there is no easy way out of. The same style propaganda that had been used to reach out to now-Nazis and white suprematists for years is simply is what has been swallowed whole, hook, line and sinker, by the Incels. They have become sold on the notion that something they are entitled to has been withheld, and in doing so they have dehumanized the targets of their envy and hatred.

Some will refuse to take the final step and abandon the community, but far too many accept the principle that violence against the “haves” is the answer…even through there is no rational explanation for how such behavior will help them. They have now narrowed their world view to us versus them, much like those Trump supporters booing their leader for suggesting getting vaccinated have no interest in facts, just in fulfilling their fevered imaginations.

One good thing to come out of the internet age is people getting together and saying "this is not OK" about behaviour that is perennial. 

On 22/08/2021 at 02:30, Bert Raccoon said:

I've always imagined BFTD looks like a wizard, am I right?

Now see, I'd always thought of @BFTD as a pirate. Not the dashing, handsome captain but the loveably overweight crew member who is there for comic effect. Best friends with a noteably skinny pirate.

Time to fess up Dave. Was this "job" you recently left. OS for William Kidd on The Adventure Galley, terror of the Forth?

25 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Now see, I'd always thought of @BFTD as a pirate. Not the dashing, handsome captain but the loveably overweight crew member who is there for comic effect. Best friends with a noteably skinny pirate.

Time to fess up Dave. Was this "job" you recently left. OS for William Kidd on The Adventure Galley, terror of the Forth?

I wish.

You've just reminded me of that terrible old Craig Charles sitcom Captain Butler. I think it's fair to say that I'm just as amusing.

Edit: wow, you can watch it on All 4. I was sure they must have burned the original tapes!

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/captain-butler

Edited by BFTD

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2021 at 12:28, Thorongil said:

Some of the more extreme trans activist views nowadays are a bit incel-like as well. Like the ones who say you are a bigot if you won’t date (or shag) a transgender person because if you are a straight man then transgender women are women and you better be ready to shag them and if you are a straight woman transgender men are men and you better be willing to shag them etc.

I don't know what this is.

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The rantings of a lunatic Alba-da I would imagine. 

Hmmm, not especially.

I take a dim view of both extreme sides of the gender culture war. It’s sophistry on a grand scale and the people perpetuating have no idea. 

There is no point denying that what I referenced is currently one of the extreme positions from one of the sides. Is it not to be mentioned?

Edited by Thorongil

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 20/04/2023 at 21:33, BFTD said:

This seems on-topic somehow: ring of men removing each other's genitals on a pay-to-view "eunuch maker" website.

I don't see any links to the Incel community, but surely nobody with a satisfying sex life is voluntarily hacking their bits off for the internet's entertainment.

I heard a podcast about that.

What the f**k is wrong with people?

32 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I heard a podcast about that.

What the f**k is wrong with people?

I've been reading "what is wrong with you?" from people on here for years, and even I find that a bit much.

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Online misogyny to be dealt with under Prevent programme under new counter terrorism plans. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/aug/18/extreme-misogyny-to-be-treated-as-form-of-terrorism-under-government-plans

As the epithet "extreme" has been applied, I assume this will likely target only a very small group of creeps who are liable to kill, or encourage others to murder, women.

I wonder how scumbags like Tate and Musk will attempt to make this a bad thing.

"This article replaces an earlier version of 18 August 2024, which appeared under the headline “Extreme misogyny to be treated as terrorism under UK government plans”. In fact such misogyny would be treated as extremism, not terrorism, under a planned review of counter-extremism strategy. The version published above includes further revisions and updates."

Typical woke lefty disinformation. 

Hopefully they leave misanthropy and self loathing alone. Freedom of hate is a basic right. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Hopefully they leave misanthropy and self loathing alone. Freedom of hate is a basic right. 

You'll be happy and well-adjusted and you'll f**king like it, pleb.

Mandatory weekly meetings with your allocated friendship group, and if your joviality score drops below average on the worksheets, it's the adjustment centre for you.

I’m pretty sure it’s possible to be a misanthrope yet still be strongly opposed to Incelism.

There are probably many with Incel tendencies in our society but most of the will not act upon their weird feelings and prejudices, however those who do together with those who encourage them are a real danger to society and should be treated as such.

Happy to see further legislation enacted if it helps.