Scotland v Israel

Frank Grimes

2 hours ago, velo army said:

We have a national anthem that can't be played on our national instrument. The anthem has a flattened 7th note (the "think" in "Tae think again") which gives it the distinctly Scottish sound. The pipes can't handle it though and end up playing it differently and it sounds shite.

The PA version is too high and those of us without the range of Freddie Mercury or Pavarotti need to sing it an octave lower, which is less satisfying. So aye, FoS would be fine if played about 5 or 6 semi-tones lower. 

Whomever said applauding anthems was weird reminded me of the home game against Ukraine (or Lithuania, my memory places those games days after each other) and the anthem was gorgeous, causing spontaneous applause in the North Stand and appreciative comments. I swear someone shouted "bravo" (or that might have been me tbf  😇).

The problem is simply fans singing the anthem quicker than it gets played - never pausing for breath. Need a singer to keep the pace. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, velo army said:

We have a national anthem that can't be played on our national instrument. The anthem has a flattened 7th note (the "think" in "Tae think again") which gives it the distinctly Scottish sound. The pipes can't handle it though and end up playing it differently and it sounds shite.

The PA version is too high and those of us without the range of Freddie Mercury or Pavarotti need to sing it an octave lower, which is less satisfying. So aye, FoS would be fine if played about 5 or 6 semi-tones lower. 

Whomever said applauding anthems was weird reminded me of the home game against Ukraine (or Lithuania, my memory places those games days after each other) and the anthem was gorgeous, causing spontaneous applause in the North Stand and appreciative comments. I swear someone shouted "bravo" (or that might have been me tbf  😇).

Have a greeny for the unashamed use of 'octave' on a football forum, my musical friend. 

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Have a greeny for the unashamed use of 'octave' on a football forum, my musical friend. 

Cheers min, I actually thought "semi-tones" was the riskier shout. It might be a nice wee challenge to see how many arcane musical terms I can sneak on to this forum.

7 minutes ago, velo army said:

Cheers min, I actually thought "semi-tones" was the riskier shout. It might be a nice wee challenge to see how many arcane musical terms I can sneak on to this forum.

Double-greeny if you could have sneaked in Giocoso during the game tonight.

Still.  A win is what we needed and what we got.

Edited by The_Kincardine

I love FoS. Some people say it's a dirge but I don't, I think it's a cracking tune and makes the hair on my arms stand up when you hear it like that against Israel.

If we were to change it though, it's got to be Caledonia, or Wild Mountain Thyme as a back up.

Would have Scots Wha Hae instead of Caledonia, but agree Wild Mountain Thyme would be class

49 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Don't understand muted celebrations, how do you hold yourself back from a last minute winner?

Shock. I'm still in shock now.

When I die, it'll likely be from Christian Dailly's saved diving header finally sinking in.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I assume Craig Gordon wasn’t fannying about in a different postcode from his goal line. 

Considering the abuse Jack Hendry took for shooting from there I'm surprised nobody had a go at Gilmour. 

It’s almost as if Gilmour was further up the pitch, had twice as many Scotland players behind him and wasn’t charging forward from centre back.

In short - wind your neck in.

Oh, and there’s also the small matter of it not leading directly to an opposition goal.

Edited by eez-eh

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

It’s almost as if Gilmour was further up the pitch, had twice as many Scotland players behind him and wasn’t charging forward from centre back.

In short - wind your neck in.

Oh, and there’s also the small matter of it not leading directly to an opposition goal.

So should Tierney not have done this then?