VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

On what frame do they draw that line?

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

They will have predetermined the line for the goal line.

That line.

I think you two should draw a line...

and get THE FRICK over it!!!

10 hours ago, The Master said:

Which frame have you chosen to determine if the entire ball is over the "determined line"? 

This isn't a "gotcha". I'm genuinely trying to understand how you think VAR chooses the correct frame when there is no point of reference for doing so. 

99% of the time when a goal is borderline it’s because a player has blocked the ball on the line. Therefore you can decide the frame based on when there’s contact between player and ball.

How is that any different to the way the frame is selected for offside?

Edited by eez-eh

Never mind the VAR adoption. Just a thought I have and it doesn't really require a new thread and this is the closest place to discuss it. 

After watching the United Liverpool game all I can think is Scottish football needs to adopt that approach to refereeing a game. Allow the competitive aspect flow! The ref got a few wrong towards the end but I was at Livi St Johnstone yesterday and it was just constant stop start with players throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest and sometimes next to no contact. As the referee was giving everything it just turned into players trying to "buy" fouls. It was both sides but a prime example was McGowan nipping in to cut out the ball in his own box and just blatantly throwing himself to the deck. Of course it was given.

The game was never going to be brilliant viewing but there was 38 fouls given in the game with not a single bad tackle in it. I'd hazard a guess at least a third of those wouldn't be given if refed like the game today. It's horrific viewing for the paying customer. I'd also hazard a guess that most fans in Scotland are keen to see a more combative game than, frankly the nonsense I watched yesterday with massive strong guys flailing about constantly.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Never mind the VAR adoption. Just a thought I have and it doesn't really require a new thread and this is the closest place to discuss it. 

After watching the United Liverpool game all I can think is Scottish football needs to adopt that approach to refereeing a game. Allow the competitive aspect flow! The ref got a few wrong towards the end but I was at Livi St Johnstone yesterday and it was just constant stop start with players throwing themselves to the ground at the slightest and sometimes next to no contact. As the referee was giving everything it just turned into players trying to "buy" fouls. It was both sides but a prime example was McGowan nipping in to cut out the ball in his own box and just blatantly throwing himself to the deck. Of course it was given.

The game was never going to be brilliant viewing but there was 38 fouls given in the game with not a single bad tackle in it. I'd hazard a guess at least a third of those wouldn't be given if refed like the game today. It's horrific viewing for the paying customer. I'd also hazard a guess that most fans in Scotland are keen to see a more combative game than, frankly the nonsense I watched yesterday with massive strong guys flailing about constantly.

The ref in the Liverpool v City game was fcuking horrendous!

Klopp got sent off after he understandably lost the plot when no foul was given when Bernando (with no thought about the ball) jumped on and wrestled Salah to the ground. Not sure how that is conducive to good fitba.

All well and good letting the game flow, but a foul is still a foul. 

You ignore them and players just start kicking lumps out of each other.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The ref in the Liverpool v City game was fcuking horrendous!

Klopp got sent off after he understandably lost the plot when no foul was given when Bernando (with no thought about the ball) jumped on and wrestled Salah to the ground. Not sure how that is conducive to good fitba.

All well and good letting the game flow, but a foul is still a foul. 

You ignore them and players just start kicking lumps out of each other.

Linesman's got to give that one. It was about an inch away with from him with a much better view than the ref. If he said no what can the ref do?

Klopp consistently acts like a knob and he ran up to the linesman mid game and just screamed in his face. 

Honestly, what we're witnessing in the Premiership at the moment is horrific. Yesterday every single time there was any contact and someone went down. Foul. It makes an already poor standard even worse as it's just stop start. 

After watching as I said a game with nearly 40 fouls, I'd much rather they got a few wrong like that than probably circa 20 pathetic ones I seen yesterday. 

I'd certainly not read the Scotsman, and I'd never recommend other people do either, it's a shit rag. However, it seems that they are running a piece with Beaton claiming referees will need to "leave their egos at the door" when VAR comes in.

Referees? Egos?

thunderbird6-laughing.gif

f**k their egos, this isn't about them despite some of them (yes, Collum we're all looking at you) who seem to think everyone is here to watch some authoritarian p***k prance around in black uniform. If I wanted that I could just go watch the police.

Referee egos will remain as brittle, and large, as always. VAR is needed, in part, down to their egos.

12 hours ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Linesman's got to give that one. It was about an inch away with from him with a much better view than the ref. If he said no what can the ref do?

If the ref can't see that from the other end of the pitch he needs to retire.

And there were multiple other mental non-decisions throughout the game (for both sides). I'm not surprised Klopp lost the plot.

Edited by ArabFC

23 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

👏 talking through the key points in calm concise manner. 

They also need to start making this public for all games as well. I'm not saying because it's corrupt or anything but transparency is key and frankly shouldn't be up for debate. 

Will our referees communicate that coherently though?

1 hour ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Will our referees communicate that coherently though?

More than likely just sour grapes but sure there's been a few instances of managers saying they asked a ref about a decision after the game and were shrugged off.

I imagine "asked" could be replaced with "verbally abused" though.

13 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

More than likely just sour grapes but sure there's been a few instances of managers saying they asked a ref about a decision after the game and were shrugged off.

I imagine "asked" could be replaced with "verbally abused" though.

Beaton has a reputation for being quite petulant and rude. 

Allegedly anyway. Even if approached in a calm manner he just refuses to speak and tells them to go away, turns his back etc. Did it not result in Lennon losing the plot with him as he wouldn't even acknowledge Lennon was speaking to him?

I know often there's no point listening to foam at the mouth players or managers but I've no doubt not all managers approach in that manner!

Ive also heard from a Perth born professional linesman who has run the line in the Premiership (including Saints games??!!!!) that there is some refs who are p***ks towards them as well. They weren't naming names though