Overrated shite attractions

21 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

It's not an "attraction" mate, it's a fucking bridge. If you're able to cross the river without getting your feet wet then it has served its purpose.

Exactly. 

I was quite disappointed in L.A. apart from the original Mexican centre. I know it’s a huge metropolis but it felt more sprawling than I thought it would. As for Santa Monica it was crawling with down and outs, panhandlers etc, not quite the picture you see in films, of course reality is never the same as in film so I should have been prepared.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The first time I went to London years ago I was underwhelmed by the Statue of Eros. It was just a wee looking statue in the middle of a busy traffic island.

I went back a few years ago and the traffic doesn't go round it any more and you can walk up to it. It's quite impressive close up.

Even more underwhelming when you find out that it's actually a statue of Anteros, Eros' brother.

https://www.thepiccadillywestend.co.uk/blog/getting-to-know-the-statue-of-anteros/

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Even more underwhelming when you find out that it's actually a statue of Anteros, Eros' brother.

https://www.thepiccadillywestend.co.uk/blog/getting-to-know-the-statue-of-anteros/

I always thought it was Deceros as well. Always get them mixed up.

Edinburgh Zoo used to be great. They had the hilltop trailer so that you could enjoy walking down the hill rather than being completely fucked walking up it. They had plenty of demonstrations. They had the lorikeets that you could hand feed.

Then they got the pandas.

2 useless lumps that spend their day sleeping and not fucking. Honestly, they're vegetarian bears. What kind of bear is a fucking vegetarian? And Edinburgh is only renting them. It's like the zoo turned up at the rental desk and got the shittest old bangers on offer. Vegetarian bears that don't want to mate. Get them to f**k and get proper attractions back at the zoo.

Guest Bob Mahelp
36 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Edinburgh Zoo used to be great. They had the hilltop trailer so that you could enjoy walking down the hill rather than being completely fucked walking up it. They had plenty of demonstrations. They had the lorikeets that you could hand feed.

Then they got the pandas.

2 useless lumps that spend their day sleeping and not fucking. Honestly, they're vegetarian bears. What kind of bear is a fucking vegetarian? And Edinburgh is only renting them. It's like the zoo turned up at the rental desk and got the shittest old bangers on offer. Vegetarian bears that don't want to mate. Get them to f**k and get proper attractions back at the zoo.

A wee bit of a tangent here, but a few years ago we were in Washington DC and decided to go to visit the zoo there. 

What I hadn't realised is that the zoo is part of the Smithsonian museum, therefore free entry.

And they have pandas....loads of them. We were there during the week and there was virtually nobody there....you can stand for hours at a glass wall with pandas literally 2 feet in front of you. 

OK, they don't do much apart from eat bamboo and scratch their arses (although the baby one did keep on falling on his head), but it was unexpectedly enjoyable. 

DC itself is one of our favourite cities anywhere. I could spend a month in the Smithsonian museums alone. 

Although.....and slightly back on topic here.....the first thing everyone says when they see the White House is...'is that it ? I thought it would be bigger...'

1 hour ago, budmiester1 said:

I was quite disappointed in L.A. apart from the original Mexican centre. I know it’s a huge metropolis but it felt more sprawling than I thought it would. As for Santa Monica it was crawling with down and outs, panhandlers etc, not quite the picture you see in films, of course reality is never the same as in film so I should have been prepared.

Yip LA is a pit.Do a day trip to tick off the sites and gtf upto napa valley or San Francisco

I was really disappointed by Bran Castle. As it's associated with Dracula, I was kinda expecting something spooky, like a chamber of horrors. It was more like Glamis castle. Attractive enough, but pretty dull.

The scenery around it was beautiful though.

50 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

A wee bit of a tangent here, but a few years ago we were in Washington DC and decided to go to visit the zoo there. 

What I hadn't realised is that the zoo is part of the Smithsonian museum, therefore free entry.

And they have pandas....loads of them. We were there during the week and there was virtually nobody there....you can stand for hours at a glass wall with pandas literally 2 feet in front of you. 

OK, they don't do much apart from eat bamboo and scratch their arses (although the baby one did keep on falling on his head), but it was unexpectedly enjoyable. 

DC itself is one of our favourite cities anywhere. I could spend a month in the Smithsonian museums alone. 

Although.....and slightly back on topic here.....the first thing everyone says when they see the White House is...'is that it ? I thought it would be bigger...'

DC is magnificent. Could spend a year there. The Newseum was the best museum for me, sadly closed down now. 

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

DC is magnificent. Could spend a year there. The Newseum was the best museum for me, sadly closed down now. 

As others have said D.C. is fantastic, tons to see, was there for 4 days, it wasn’t enough to even scratch the surface. Managed a tour of the Capitol building and the library of Congress, Arlington cemetery. Just walking along the National Mall is excellent and as others have said it’s free.👍

10 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

As others have said D.C. is fantastic, tons to see, was there for 4 days, it wasn’t enough to even scratch the surface. Managed a tour of the Capitol building and the library of Congress, Arlington cemetery. Just walking along the National Mall is excellent and as others have said it’s free.👍

Did the Capitol tour as well. Fantastic. Arlington was amazing too managed to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Marvellous place. 

If you were to consider M&Ds as just Lanarkshire's Codona's, then there's little wrong with it, albeit utterly shite compared to the likes of Alton Towers* etc.  However, marketing it as "Scotland's Theme Park" is an embarrassment to the nation.

*absolutely awful during weekends and English holidays, but excellent when quiet most other times when queues are almost non-existent.  Went down on a Scottish holiday once during the early 2000s and stayed on Nemesis around half a dozen times, this being after getting a go on all other rides of interest (fnar fnar).  Went again with some English friends at a weekend and got on about 4 rides all day, which was a complete waste of time and money.  

Edited by Hedgecutter