Normal Island

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Champagne will now be served in pint measures thanks to Brexit and Churchill.

20231130_155015.thumb.jpg.bb8307f3180820ad822ed801800adfbe.jpg

A few points:

1) The "pint" bottle Churchill drank was actually 600 ml. That's 21.13 fluid ounces, not a pint

2) The new measure may acually be 500 ml instead of 568 ml. That's only 17.61 fluid ounces, well short of a pint

3) Champagne is French. They are under no obligation to pack their product in sizes that will only be legal in the UK. Last time this ridiculous idea was floated, none of the French producer were keen. 

4) Even if they did want to pack to 500 ml or 568 ml, they would definitely need to produce new bottles. They may also have to produce different sized corks to fit these bottles or put in a new production line to bottle the fizz. All these additional costs will result in a higher price

5) One English sparkling wine producer (Rathfinnet Estate) has laid down some bottles, which it previously described as "modern pints". It's unclear whether these are US pints (473 ml), metric 'pints' (500 ml) or imperial pints (568 ml). I'll not be rushing out to buy it, whatever size it is!

6) I note that this new consultation may be opened soon. Strangely, the report on the previous consultation  on the 'reintroduction' of sales by imperial weight, has been delayed for over a year. Rumour has it that the vast majority of responses from both business & the public have rejected the proposals, and that the government are avoiding publishing the results. 

Given these points, the obvious conclusion is that this waste of parliamentary time is a transparent attempt to get "brexit bonus" headlines in the likes of the Mail, Sun & Express. Pathetic.

15 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Was there many tit pics of her in the papers bitd? I'm bit too young to remember the start of her 

No, which makes it even creepier.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

What a lovely gesture.  Not.

Get the brats used to their role in life.   Feeling sorry for folks but happily sitting in their castles, palaces and stately homes. Boak.

We could donate our unfathomable wealth, give up our un-earned land and titles, and pay taxes like everyone else, but what would any of that teach them?

On 30/11/2023 at 19:09, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Was there many tit pics of her in the papers bitd? I'm bit too young to remember the start of her 

One of the reasons her death was such a big thing was that she and Dodi were front page news every day at the time.  Photographers with telescopic lengths were eying her every move and there is little doubt she was aware of them.  

"Hey what is the latest news on Diane and Dodi."

"Car crash.  Dead."

"What?"

Whamageddon: DJ sorry for playing Last Christmas by Wham! - BBC News

A football stadium DJ has apologised for playing Last Christmas by Wham!, potentially knocking more than 7,000 people out of cult game Whamageddon.

Players try to avoid George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's 1984 hit for as long as possible before Christmas Eve and are eliminated once they hear it. Matt Facer, DJ at Northampton Town, was criticised for playing it at the home game against Portsmouth on 2 December. "I never knew people took it so seriously," he said.

6 hours ago, Fullerene said:

One of the reasons her death was such a big thing was that she and Dodi were front page news every day at the time.  Photographers with telescopic lengths were eying her every move and there is little doubt she was aware of them.  

"Car crash.  Dead."

"What?"

Beg pardon?

10 hours ago, Fullerene said:

"Car crash.  Dead."

"What?"

It seems she did the Michael Jackson thing, planting false stories about herself in the press and tipping them off to photo opportunities, while also complaining that they kept printing lies and wouldn't leave her alone.

Dangerous game, it turns out.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Whamageddon: DJ sorry for playing Last Christmas by Wham! - BBC News

A football stadium DJ has apologised for playing Last Christmas by Wham!, potentially knocking more than 7,000 people out of cult game Whamageddon.

Players try to avoid George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's 1984 hit for as long as possible before Christmas Eve and are eliminated once they hear it. Matt Facer, DJ at Northampton Town, was criticised for playing it at the home game against Portsmouth on 2 December. "I never knew people took it so seriously," he said.

This just got mentioned on Radio Scotland in the news headlines at 5 o'clock. It's not fucking news for f**k sake.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This just got mentioned on Radio Scotland in the news headlines at 5 o'clock. It's not fucking news for f**k sake.

Amazed it's not #1 TBH.

Oh, apparently half of Gaza's starving at the moment. That's at #10.

image.png.2f7fa6f99d38bdb72111e96406d7ed9d.png

image.png.202c07abf182a1aaf8b2a571c3e4186b.png

The woke death

A new front has emerged in the culture war as Kemi Badenoch, the equalities minister, condemned an academic study an MP described as “woke archaeology” that examined whether ethnicity was a risk factor with medieval plague.

Badenoch said the research into 14th-century London risked damaging trust in modern health services and that she had written to the Museum of London, where the lead author of the study in question works.

During equalities questions in the Commons, Philip Hollobone, a Conservative MP cited the study, asking Badenoch, who is also business secretary, to “ensure that such sensationalist research findings and woke archaeology have no impact at all on current health and pandemic policy”.

“I do agree,” Badenoch replied. “I am not even sure whether we can call it just sensationalist or woke.”

She added: “I agree with my honourable friend that this type of research is damaging to trust, to social cohesion and even to trust in health services. I have written to the director of the Museum of London to express my concern.”

It was the first recorded use of the term “woke archaeology” in more than 200 years of Commons transcripts.

The paper, published in the journal Bioarchaeology International, examined the remains of 145 people buried at London plague cemeteries, 49 of whom died from the plague.

By examining five features of the skulls and comparing these with a forensic databank covering modern and historical global populations, it estimated the likely heritage of people who died and found that those of African heritage were disproportionately more likely to have died from plague than people of European or Asian ancestry, compared with non-plague deaths.

While stressing the need for caution given the sample size, the authors said the results suggested there was value in considering structural racism in such research, likening this to the higher death rates for people from some minority ethnic groups during Covid.

In the Commons, Badenoch said the study “apparently was based on phrenology” – a long-discredited topic which sought to determine people’s characters by examining bumps on their skull – which is not the case.

Badenoch’s letter to the Museum of London’s director complained that the sample size did not “warrant such a definitive conclusion being propagated”, and said the idea of structural racism being a factor in health outcomes, which she has previously rejected, could be damaging even 700 years later.

“This government has done a significant amount of work to reduce levels of fear and anxiety among ethnic minority communities around health,” she said.

“It is imperative that ethnic minorities feel able to trust our healthcare institutions, and that they are given accurate information about health outcomes based on robust evidence. It is also important that evidence – be it historical or current – is not presented in a way that is misleading or that implies that the information is reliable when it is not.

“This is so that we don’t undermine the trust and confidence ethnic minorities have in accessing the healthcare they need. It is also so that we don’t promote a culture of fear and conspiracy theory around causes for disparities in health outcomes.”

A spokesperson for the museum said: “I can confirm that the museum received a letter from the minister regarding the research and we have responded to her directly.”

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

This just enrages me. 

It's a legitimate research question - did ethnicity play a part in how susceptible people were to the plague? It isn't woke. 

Is saying that black people are more likely to develop type 2 diabetes woke biology now, too?