Normal Island

Saw a clip yesterday of Badenoch losing her mind at the select committee over whether she used the word "disease" when talking about trans numbers. Whether or not the mp making the reference made a c**t of it I don't know, but it was a nice set up once she'd had her wee tantrum over the language we us when the chair then pointed out to her she'd used the word "explosion" (of trans kids) without presenting any data to back the word up with. 

Badenoch knows exactly what she's doing. She's an absolute danger. 

It's a ludicrous matter for a government minister to be getting involved with.

That said the study is also pretty feeble for its headline finding. They found 145 skeletons in plague cemeteries and concluded 49 died of the plague. They then examined the shape and feature of the skulls and surmised 5-9 of them may have been of African heritage. It's an interesting approach to analyse an otherwise hard-to-answer historical question... but so much extrapolation/chance/potential sample bias becomes involved it's also a big stretch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2023 at 18:17, lichtgilphead said:

A few points:

1) The "pint" bottle Churchill drank was actually 600 ml. That's 21.13 fluid ounces, not a pint

2) The new measure may acually be 500 ml instead of 568 ml. That's only 17.61 fluid ounces, well short of a pint

3) Champagne is French. They are under no obligation to pack their product in sizes that will only be legal in the UK. Last time this ridiculous idea was floated, none of the French producer were keen. 

4) Even if they did want to pack to 500 ml or 568 ml, they would definitely need to produce new bottles. They may also have to produce different sized corks to fit these bottles or put in a new production line to bottle the fizz. All these additional costs will result in a higher price

5) One English sparkling wine producer (Rathfinnet Estate) has laid down some bottles, which it previously described as "modern pints". It's unclear whether these are US pints (473 ml), metric 'pints' (500 ml) or imperial pints (568 ml). I'll not be rushing out to buy it, whatever size it is!

6) I note that this new consultation may be opened soon. Strangely, the report on the previous consultation  on the 'reintroduction' of sales by imperial weight, has been delayed for over a year. Rumour has it that the vast majority of responses from both business & the public have rejected the proposals, and that the government are avoiding publishing the results. 

Given these points, the obvious conclusion is that this waste of parliamentary time is a transparent attempt to get "brexit bonus" headlines in the likes of the Mail, Sun & Express. Pathetic.

The imperial measurements pish has now been canned, just the 97.8% of respondents  thought it would be a stupid idea.

Edited by Have some faith in Magic

6 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

The imperial measurements pish has now been canned, just the 97.8% of respondents  thought it would be a stupid idea.

Yes a stupid idea but this article suggests the opposite - they are to be reintroduced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The Daily Express complains about the EU “leaving the UK out” of its new transportation infrastructure plan. Er, excuse me…

Even the Daily Express isn't stupid enough to use the word transportation when transport would suffice.

9 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Even with the obvious bias toward imperial in the consultation document (I wonder whether Jacob Rees Mogg had a hand in drafting it), it had been rumoured that the proposed reintroduction had been opposed by a significant margin. I didn't expect quite such a trouncing though!

No wonder the UK Government have released the results whilst parliament is in recess & many people are still on holiday.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Yes a stupid idea but this article suggests the opposite - they are to be reintroduced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67795075

568 ml is still a metric measure, It's just short of a pint. A pint is defined (in Schedule 1 of the Weights & Measures Act 1985) as 568.26125 ml

So, to summarise, here's the changes that Brexit has allowed the UK Government to make (new measures in bold)

Still wine 100, 187, 200, 250, 375, 500, 568, 750, 1000, 1500 ml

Sparkling wine 125, 200, 375, 500, 568, 750, 1500 ml

I'm sure that all the EU, US, Australian, South American & South African wine bottlers are frantically manufacturing new bottles & retooling production lines as we speak.

Realistically, I can't see anyone apart from a few small-scale UK wine producers taking advantage of this new "freedom", but the Brexiteers had to do something to try to spin the consultation response in some sort of positive fashion.

4 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Time for a new thread... "These people are entitled to vote."

Euthanasia Thread - when will Brexit allow us the freedom to be put to sleep with our vicious sharkhounds if we so choose?