Normal Island

5 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Can't wait for the Edinburgh tram lines to be named (although obviously will first have to wait decades for them to be built).

Leith ones are fairly obvious:

The Albert Kidd line

The Gardyloo line

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Aye as I was writing that I was sure she wasn't from London, but there's definitely a statue of her somewhere (Serpentine?Hyde Park?) notable in London so I do tend to associate her more with there. 

Thanks for the info as that was annoying me for a bit 😂.

It's in Westminster, close to the Houses of Parliament.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Simultaneously cringeworthy and hilarious given every existing line is geographic - or named for a female monarch?

Most likely the committee wanted to name all 6 for social / political causes... hence Windrush, Suffragettes, Mildmay (the hospital Princess Diana visited) and Lionesses... but suffered a crisis of overconfidence so swerved for Weavers - which makes a kind of sense - and biscuit taking Liberty "to reference the historical independence of the people of the borough of Havering".

So fiercely separatist are the citizens of a borough nobody's ever heard of (seemingly Romford is the principal town) they abandoned for Essex their status as a liberty way back in 1888-1892; while the noble borough itself originates millennia ago centuries ago from 1965.

Perhaps:

Telephone Line   in honour of Edinburgh-born inventor Alexander Graham Bell
Fault Line                in honour of Hutton's Unconformity in Holyrood Park
Ben Line                  in honour of the Leith shipping company
Thin Red Line       in honour of the redcoats of Edinburgh Castle
Forward Line        in honour of the Famous Five
Washing Line       in honour of the working women of the drying greens
Coke Line               in honour of the film Trainspotting
Toe the Line          in honour of politicians in the City Chambers and Scottish Parliament
Stay in Line            in honour of the queues for the buses

Cymbe line : in honour of the city’s theatrical history 

Trampo line: in honour of the more bouncy members of the city’s vagrant community 

Made  line en honneur de temps perdu

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

9 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Trainspotters and the anti-woke brigade have united in seething at some train lines being given names.

Out of principle, I will refuse to ever use the Lioness line.

The Brand Line: celebrating Russell Brands indefatigable contribution to broadcasting & public discourse

The Bright Line: celebrating cult hero from Cockney classic The Football Factory, the iconic Billy "ITS FACKIN MILLWALL" Bright

The de Menezes Line: celebrating our world class Met Police commitment to protecting public safety

The Albarn Line: PARKLIFE

The Ingram-Moore Line: 9% of all fares on this line are donated to The Hannah-Ingram Moore Foundation, set up in honour of Britains innovative and aspirational middle classes.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

I'm really annoyed at myself for not using The Blurred Line instead of The Albarn Line.

Also adds an excuse to fling up digital billboards of a scantily clad, writhing Emily Ratjowski - much like the Blade Runner 2049 "You look lonely. I can fix that."  Joi adverts to really complete that contemporary, dystopian effect.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

"You look lonely. I can fix that."

Read that first as "You look lovely. I can fix that." Which would a great line for s serial killer to utter (in a fictional work, just to be clear).

15 hours ago, strichener said:

Only in the UK.  So many things wrong with this.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/disability-68178940

Read this the other day and whilst I think it is ridiculous, playing devil's advocate, if you received payments towards say your gas to save you from freezing but you just put on five layers of clothes, didn't stick the heating on and pocketed the cash they'd have a right to take the money back.

A bit of empathy for his situation wouldn't go a miss obviously