Normal Island

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

See the steeping conkers in vinegar thing? I remember trying that when I was a kid, and all it did was make the core harden and shrink, but the brown outer "skin" became brittle and fell off.

Doesn't seem ideal if cheating was the plan.

^ bumbling amateur

On 17/10/2024 at 13:50, RawB93 said:

We couldn’t afford string growing up so we would just throw them at each others heads. 

We saw kids throwing them at each other across a road in Newmarket a couple of weeks ago walking up to the racecourse. The road it is lined with horse chestnut trees (apt) and there were dozens on the paths.

30 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We never got conkers off trees, so we soaked our testicles in vinegar and smashed them off each other's instead.

and we graduated to playing rugger and voting Tory later on... 

14 hours ago, hk blues said:

image.jpeg.6290095dd8995e61db4fe987e89cdcef.jpegmr 

I have never seen Charles Dickens receive any credit for creating the Four Yorkshiremen prototype. In Hard TimesMr Bounderby invents a totally fictitious account of his appalling early life.

‘I hadn’t a shoe to my foot.  As to a stocking, I didn’t know such a thing by name.  I passed the day in a ditch, and the night in a pigsty.  That’s the way I spent my tenth birthday.  Not that a ditch was new to me, for I was born in a ditch.’

‘My mother left me to my grandmother,’ said Bounderby; ‘and, according to the best of my remembrance, my grandmother was the wickedest and the worst old woman that ever lived.  If I got a little pair of shoes by any chance, she would take ’em off and sell ’em for drink.  Why, I have known that grandmother of mine lie in her bed and drink her four-teen glasses of liquor before breakfast!’

‘She kept a chandler’s shop,’ pursued Bounderby, ‘and kept me in an egg-box.  That was the cot of my infancy; an old egg-box.  As soon as I was big enough to run away, of course I ran away.  Then I became a young vagabond; and instead of one old woman knocking me about and starving me, everybody of all ages knocked me about and starved me.  They were right; they had no business to do anything else.  I was a nuisance, an incumbrance, and a pest.  I know that very well.’

This headline had me pissing myself laughing, it's like something from The Day Today. I can almost hear Chris Morris reading it. Shouldn't really laugh because it's cruelty inflicted on animals by design.(I should add I don't read the GB news website for any other reason than to laugh at it)

Screenshot_20241019_230834_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
Shite spelling.

Some great suggestions from the Great British Public on how to reform/save Our NHS. Best one is replacing ambulance sirens with healthy eating advice!

https://change.nhs.uk/projects/your-ideas-for-change

Also enjoy “reject gender ideology” and “dedicated NHS TV channel” as ideas. 

Edited by ICTChris

The dedicated NHS tv channel would be a winner. A camera in a GP's surgery watching as Mr Miggins goes in to see about his piles that have been acting up whilst Mrs O'Glossop discusses her issues "down there". A million nosy old ladies would pay a subscription 

On 19/10/2024 at 17:15, Swordfishtrombone said:

This headline had me pissing myself laughing, it's like something from The Day Today. I can almost hear Chris Morris reading it. Shouldn't really laugh because it's cruelty inflicted on animals by design.(I should add I don't read the GB news website for any other reason than to laugh at it)

Screenshot_20241019_230834_Chrome.jpg

They look like really angry scrotums

f9a767d5-4549-4c92-b231-1b5dc0863d14.jpeg

Edited by carpetmonster

1 minute ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

The dedicated NHS tv channel would be a winner. A camera in a GP's surgery watching as Mr Miggins goes in to see about his piles that have been acting up whilst Mrs O'Glossop discusses her issues "down there". A million nosy old ladies would pay a subscription 

This would invariably lead to a massive rise in 'at home DIY surgery' on the kitchen table.........................."Wotchoo mean I need to 'av me leg ampertated ? .....I just followed the instructions off the telly"

dr_nick.webp.d59593362d81888a5455f6db15082741.webp

7 minutes ago, Silvio Tattiescone said:

Make 18-25YOs watch it and they'll all vote for compulsory euthanasia age 60, thereby leaving the NHS costing 20% of what it does now and the Government will be (even more) free to give all the (even more) money to their pals (plus ca change).