Normal Island

3 hours ago, Swarley said:

I'm an Aussie citizen so I don't read that as for me. Checking back on emails I failed to renew my registration in 2020. No matter, I shouldn't be allowed to vote in a foreign election anyway imho.

2 hours ago, Eednud said:

So am I and agree with you. The previous timeline was too long anyway.

It's so you can both vote for the Tories. So it would be excellent if you both gave them a shoeing from 10,000 miles away and voted tactically to punt them out of office.

The expat voting thing is bizarre. It's been about fifty years since my father lived in Scotland, yet he was raging about not getting a vote in 2014. It seems like they get noisier about having a right to vote the longer they've been away.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The expat voting thing is bizarre. It's been about fifty years since my father lived in Scotland, yet he was raging about not getting a vote in 2014. It seems like they get noisier about having a right to vote the longer they've been away.

Presumably he wanted to vote yes because if you leave the UK then your state pension is a pretty shit.

But they types that are abroad and will register are clearly presumed to be Tory diehards, because there is no way they would have introduced it otherwise. Suppress the vote at home with voter ID and get loads of old people to vote who haven't been here for 15 years.

14 minutes ago, 101 said:

Presumably he wanted to vote yes because if you leave the UK then your state pension is a pretty shit.

But they types that are abroad and will register are clearly presumed to be Tory diehards, because there is no way they would have introduced it otherwise. Suppress the vote at home with voter ID and get loads of old people to vote who haven't been here for 15 years.

I just looked into, you can't vote  in Scottish Election or Referendums only UK general elections. 

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've not lived in the UK since December 1990. Still pay attention to politics in both Scotland and the UK, but after 5 years or so never felt that I should have had a vote in any elections / referendums, apart from the Brexit one in 2016.

Just now, 101 said:

He's still in the UK, just hasn't been near Scotland since before Ally's Army was in the charts. The state pension being shit for expats would be Labour's fault somehow. Everything is Labour's fault somehow.

I have a vague memory of seeing that something daft like 80% of votes from expats are for the Conservatives. Presumably the crowd who don't want anything to change in case if affects their ability to avoid living among the heathens in the UK.

FWIW, Mrs Ned votes in all things Italian, most recently in local mayor elections, she was born in Scotland and has never resided in Italy - her Italian father registered her at the Italian consulate in Edinburgh when she was born ... that's it!

I think it would allow me to get an EU passport if I wanted one (although I've never actually looked into it)

14 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Normal island, indeed...................🤮

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/25/nick-candy-one-hyde-park-service-charge-penthouse

Do any Pn'B-ers have to pay £3k/week in service charges for their accommodation ?

No regarding the service charge but there will probably be a few posters on here that will pay more in council tax than the residents there do.  Just over £3k a year in council tax if anyone is thinking of buying this property.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Normal island, indeed...................🤮

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/25/nick-candy-one-hyde-park-service-charge-penthouse

Do any Pn'B-ers have to pay £3k/week in service charges for their accommodation ?

What a c**t. 

Edit: the billionaire and his missus, not @Florentine_Pogen

Edited by KnightswoodBear

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The bit that got me is that Holly Vallance is going to co-host a £100,000 a couple fundraising dinner in London for Donald Trump. 

Show some scruples Holly. 

She is an absolute Tory, there was an interview the other day with some of her quotes along those lines and her sister basically wanting f**k all to do with her as a result.

3 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

She is an absolute Tory, there was an interview the other day with some of her quotes along those lines and her sister basically wanting f**k all to do with her as a result.

I'll not see her stuck for digs.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm in a hotel, mostly occupied by French people. It makes me wonder why we bailed them out so often. They're more ignorant than the Russians.

france.thumb.jpg.4dc211919745132d5443f61632f5d48d.jpg

France 

russia.jpg.c29226ac6d122e0e66df4c9f3de87559.jpg

Russia

Moi aussi, je ne pense pourquoi nous aimons les Francais

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm in a hotel, mostly occupied by French people. It makes me wonder why we bailed them out so often. They're more ignorant than the Russians.

I can tell you're going to love my annual posting of pool-side beers in the south of France in the What Are You Drinking thread. I could even throw in some random pictures of French people. 

8 hours ago, 101 said:

Depends where you go. If you’ve got the full NI contributions (and you can pay them voluntarily from abroad) you’ll get the full pension. Depending on where you are, it can be that the sum of your pension is fixed at the amount when you first draw it, but if I draw a UK state pension in the US, I’ll get every increase that the UK gets too. I presume the negotiations for that just went ‘no, shut up, we’re America, give us that and bend over’ and acquiescence was received.