Squad for Moldova/Denmark

Donathan

10 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

i'd agree with you that he has areas to work on. I dont watch much Celtic but from what I understand, his crossing and weight of pass leaves a bit to be desired along with his defensive positioning at times however he seems to be on the right track in improving to the point where getting a scotland call up may not be out of the  question.

It wasn't that long ago you would only have to say jack hendrys name to get a laugh and look the improvements he has made to his game.

From what I've seen of him this year he's been pretty good overall. Considering he's came from nowhere really he's doing well, perhaps he can kick on with regular games and get better. 

Never a first choice right back for me, but a decent backup. Miles ahead of o'donnell. Playing already at a level he couldn't.

14 hours ago, the snudge said:

Is it one poster with a few alias' arguing with themselves but failing to sign out and back in again?

Can a mod not just delete the last couple of pages and save everyone a headache?

Is that aimed at me no I'm actually correcting myself that isn't arguing with myself 

And if I don't the usual posters slag off my spelling and grammar 

See you can't make a simple mistake here but six or seven people are on to you

As if there perfect and never made a mistake, or it's from posters that pop up but you never actually see them have a conversation or talk football 

With Celtic, people need to remember that Postecoglou plays an extremely odd brand of football. 

It really suits some players, like Ralston, who are very athletic. They look much better than they actually are when playing for Postecoglou. Being able to run fast and for a long time, in addition to getting plenty of attacking opportunities, mask him being extremely inefficient.

In contrast, players who are not athletic, like Turnbull, look much worse than what they actually are.

Ralston would look every inch the player he was at St Johnstone in a different side.

Just now, G51 said:

With Celtic, people need to remember that Postecoglou plays an extremely odd brand of football. 

It really suits some players, like Ralston, who are very athletic. They look much better than they actually are when playing for Postecoglou. Being able to run fast and for a long time, in addition to getting plenty of attacking opportunities, mask him being extremely inefficient.

In contrast, players who are not athletic, like Turnbull, look much worse than what they actually are.

Ralston would look every inch the player he was at St Johnstone in a different side.

that's an interesting point. I didnt factor in Postecoglou's unorthodox style of play. 

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

Ralston gets to see a lot off the ball because his full backs tuck inside and Scotland play three at the back anyway so for that reason alone we maybe wouldn't see the best off him 

It's strange that a guy getting European game that is Scottish isn't called in though

Because Clarke has said numerous times of the necessity for all the Scottish players to be playing ar that level

Which leads me to believe that he simply doesn't rate him 

56 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

Im a bit gutted for A.Ralston. 

SIgned a new contract with celtic yesterday, the boy has defied every bit of criticism levelled at him and has consolidated his place as 1st choice celtic right back (a position we have struggled with in recent years).

Im not sure what Clarke wants from the boy before he's deemed "ready" for a call up but he is surely banging down the door now.

This is just one person's humble opinion however, his inclusion of stephen odonnell over anthony at this point baffled me a little. 

Real world football is not a game of FIFA or Championship Manager, when you can just rattle together the players with the 'best' stats and expect it to work.

Ralston, may or may not be, a player of international standard but we do know a few things.  a) Before this season you'd have been sectioned for suggesting it b) we're doing just fine at RB c) it's the last incredibly important two games of a year in which we'll have played 15 internationals, and d) even it wasn't c) you still don't make changes unless you have an obvious need to.

The Scotland squad is as competitive and as settled as it has been in living memory.  There is absolutely no need to bring in Watt/Ralston/whoever to appease the egos of Scottish football fans.  Neither of these players improves our starting XI, and therefore have a hugely limited benefit to the squad.

Players who have actually been playing well and at a higher level (Gauld, Russell, Hickey, Henderson) remain in the wilderness, but even then, they'd have a greater cause for unfair treatment than those players of the moment.

SOD may have a limited shelf life, and he may be replaced by another RB come the next internationals next year.  It will make sense then, it doesn't make sense now.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

5 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Real world football is not a game of FIFA or Championship Manager, when you can just rattle together the players with the 'best' stats and expect it to work.

Ralston, may or may not be, a player of international standard but we do know a few things.  a) Before this season you'd have been sectioned for suggesting it b) we're doing just fine at RB c) it's the last incredibly important two games of a year in which we'll have played 15 internationals, and d) even it wasn't c) you still don't make changes unless you have an obvious need to.

The Scotland squad is as competitive and as settled as it has been in living memory.  There is absolutely no need to bring in Watt/Ralston/whoever to appease the egos of Scottish football fans.  Neither of these players improves our starting XI, and therefore have a hugely limited benefit to the squad.

Players who have actually been playing well and at a higher level (Gauld, Russell, Hickey, Henderson) remain in the wilderness, but even then, they'd have a greater cause for unfair treatment than those players of the moment.

SOD may have a limited shelf life, and he may be replaced by another RB come the next internationals next year.  It will make sense then, it doesn't make sense now.

SOD is better defensive right back than Ralston for me,and is good in the air and on one on ones that is why he has kept his place big mans been slaughtered but always came back and put good shifts in for his country 

I have no issues with him keeping his place in this squad and fingers crossed the qualifiers 

But if we don't make the world Cup we should be looking at other players especially in back up to the strongest team

Cos when injury and suspension calls we want like for like and we want even our top performers to have competition for there jersey 

Clarke talks about bonds and a strong club mentality,aye great when the trusts has been earned mutually 

But a few players are aging and slowing down and he needs to find replacements for them 

1 minute ago, General dissaray said:

SOD is better defensive right back than Ralston for me,and is good in the air and on one on ones that is why he has kept his place big mans been slaughtered but always came back and put good shifts in for his country 

I have no issues with him keeping his place in this squad and fingers crossed the qualifiers 

But if we don't make the world Cup we should be looking at other players especially in back up to the strongest team

Cos when injury and suspension calls we want like for like and we want even our top performers to have competition for there jersey 

Clarke talks about bonds and a strong club mentality,aye great when the trusts has been earned mutually 

But a few players are aging and slowing down and he needs to find replacements for them 

For being dyslexic... today and yesterday is night and day. 

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Really good post and totally agree. Some guys will feel unlucky to be left out/not getting a sniff but as you say now is not the time for trial and error. SOD is someone i don't understand the criticism about. Gives his all and has been solid in a position we have struggled in recent years. Probably will be his last campaign but deserves to see it through. The lad from Stoke has came out the blue but there is obviously something there Clarke thinks we need for the Moldova game.

12 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Really good post and totally agree. Some guys will feel unlucky to be left out/not getting a sniff but as you say now is not the time for trial and error. SOD is someone i don't understand the criticism about. Gives his all and has been solid in a position we have struggled in recent years. Probably will be his last campaign but deserves to see it through. The lad from Stoke has came out the blue but there is obviously something there Clarke thinks we need for the Moldova game.

Exited about Brown just find it strange that we never got him involved a few seasons before if the ones in the know knew he was eligible?

All for backing him though spent last two or three seasons talking about our severe lack off pace

Slowly but surely that is getting addressed if we can find a couple off defenders with it to fit in as back up with potentially playing if they do really well will take it 

It's just a shame that the nations league has took over from friendly games to experiment in

Nations league is important might make another play offs by the back door,so won't be mucking about with the squad either for they fixtures 

Clarke said that Brown was very close to getting in the under 21’s just when Covid happened, so has clearly been on the radar with the SFA for some time. Presumably Clarke didn’t think he was worth calling up until now, which I’ll have to trust given that, like everyone else on here, I’ve only heard that he existed yesterday.

Anthony Ralston remains shite. 

47 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Cant believe I've just realised this, thanks for pointing it out 👍

27 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

The criticism is very very simple, I'm not sure whats not to understand. The guy is bad at playing football.

Hes ok in a purely defensive aspect, but he's not some kind of old school stopper at centre back. He's a right back, and a wing back. There's more to the game than being good defensively. He has to contribute in an attacking sense for the team. Which he doesn't, moves die when o'donnell gets the ball. He invites teams onto us by not being able to progress the ball.

Having someone slightly poorer in a defensive sense but is capable of playing football is a massive upgrade. We have quite a few now, there's no need at all for o'donnell to still be there. Other than being a favourite of the manager.

As a rebuttal to this,

He has answered criticism as being a celtic reject to

1.becoming their 1st choice right back
2.being awarded a 5 year contract

In terms of the 2nd quote;

Those criticisms are based on variables of technical ability of which he has been making improvements on week on week. I believe hes even adding goalscoring to his game recently.

15 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

The criticism is very very simple, I'm not sure whats not to understand. The guy is bad at playing football.

Hes ok in a purely defensive aspect, but he's not some kind of old school stopper at centre back. He's a right back, and a wing back. There's more to the game than being good defensively. He has to contribute in an attacking sense for the team. Which he doesn't, moves die when o'donnell gets the ball. He invites teams onto us by not being able to progress the ball.

Having someone slightly poorer in a defensive sense but is capable of playing football is a massive upgrade. We have quite a few now, there's no need at all for o'donnell to still be there. Other than being a favourite of the manager.

Actually to be fair SOD has a couple off assists for Scotland,its something he needs to work on when he is up the pitch in nose bleed territory

26 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Actually to be fair SOD has a couple off assists for Scotland,its something he needs to work on when he is up the pitch in nose bleed territory

To be fair if you gave most players 23 caps for Scotland and just kept playing them no matter how badly they performed. Most would manage a couple of assists in this time. Considering some of the terrible teams we play.

It wouldn’t make them good enough international players for Scotland.

1 minute ago, BingMcCrosby said:

To be fair if you gave most players 23 caps for Scotland and just kept playing them no matter how badly they performed. Most would manage a couple of assists in this time. Considering some of the terrible teams we play.

It wouldn’t make them good enough international players for Scotland.

Aren't saying he is what we need going forward but he has had some good games and not just against England he is just a easy scape goat he will still be in and around the squad like Palmer was for years to come I reckon but won't play as much