Tea breaks

I have always worked a job where you sort of have to take breaks as the workload allows it, which generally means whenever you want. Havent ever had to kick off to get time away from my graft. The folk at my work who are more scheduled, they take theirs come hell or high water.

Certainly if my contract stipulated my breaks as many do, id be taking them to the minute unless gaffers were willling to come and go.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The worst place for me was a supermarket i worked in as a teenager. Shifts were 3 hours 45 minutes each. If they were 4 hours long, they would need to pay us to take a 15 minute break. 

Still the same. A good manager is the key . Grasses however not so cool

Remember my 1st job as a buyer in a manufacturing plant. Had a canteen that made full fry up for your morning break. Was subsidised and each sausage or egg etc was 10p.
Was when I 1st started to put weight on as well I think.

At my last office there was a regular tea break at about 11ish. Some of the staff thought this was the most important part of the day. One woman used to walk round the building shouting "Tea! Tea time!". Not great if I was on the phone at the time. If it was a birthday the tea break would last an hour. 

As for me, I went occasionally but most often sat for 10 minutes or so then went back to work.

My work has on the timesheet "45 minutes unpaid lunch break, per day - at least 30 minutes has to be taken" 

There are folk who, eat on the move or worse IMO - give it the "need to get on to get it finished in time". There is scope to do as much OT as you want (granted not everyone wants to) but not eating so a poorly scheduled job is finished on normal time is fucking bonkers. 

1 hour ago, The Derry said:

We get a 15 minute tea break in the morning - I take 1 hour.

We get a 30 minute lunch - I take 1 hour 30 mins.

We get a 10 min break in the afternoon - I don't work between 2.30-4. 

I like your thinking. I don't think I could keep that pace up though.

I’ve never worked an office job. At times in bars/restaurants we were worked off our feet and, just the way it all works, you’d have a break really quite late in your shift. Doesn’t help if you hadn’t eaten before your shift. I know people who have literally started smoking in order just to get a few extra breaks.

I now work in retail, of sorts, but there’s a lot of downtime. I don’t feel like I need to take an ‘official’ break and I get paid for it anyway. I can make a coffee or eat whenever I want. There’s plenty of standing about waiting for customers and I’m just looking for something to kill time. It’s great. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

My work has on the timesheet "45 minutes unpaid lunch break, per day - at least 30 minutes has to be taken" 

There are folk who, eat on the move or worse IMO - give it the "need to get on to get it finished in time". There is scope to do as much OT as you want (granted not everyone wants to) but not eating so a poorly scheduled job is finished on normal time is fucking bonkers

Unless you are self employed.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Why would self employed people be complaining they're not allowed to take tea breaks by management? 

I think this is crossed wires. I never meant to give that opinion. Self-employed don't care about tea breaks is what I meant. 

Doesn't matter. I might have misread what you meant.

The guy that used to own the company I work for had another company as well and the glasgow office was shared between both companies.  All the guys in the sister company used to go into the lounge every morning and afternoon at the same time for their scheduled tea break.  I'd be amazed if they don't still do this now.
I always thought it was bizarre behaviour.  I've never had a contract of employment that says you're entitled to a tea-break.  Maybe they did or maybe it was just accepted under custom and practice.

I get on with my colleagues, but this sounds hellish. If I'm having a break then I want to do my own thing, not sit around with other people feeling forced to make inane conversation.

I make sure the guys stop for a bit and grab a breakfast roll and a cuppa. The last foreman never bothered,  Just made a coffee in his travel mug and fucked off back to work. No interaction with the other guys.