Arbroath v Queens

18 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Just because your old doesn't mean you can't do things online. I can understand the club going online only at the start of the season but I think a ticket booth for cash/card payments would be a good idea. Still to travel all the way from Dumfries without actually checking out how to buy a ticket is a buy silly really.

No-one mentioned anything about age being a barrier to working t'internet, the are many reasons why people can't,  or choose not to be connected. To check ticketing arrangements before travelling probably still means going on-line, no good to those not able to for whatever reasons.  Not exactly sure but is Arbroath the only Championship Club which  is completely on-line ticketing with no means of pay cash/card at the ground. Its hardly an "include all" set up.  Would it be so completely unworkable to have some provision to attend for those who are not able to buy on-line. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm struggling to see how any of that is relevant to my point tbh.

Eh, because you said that you revert to playing a certain way after going ahead. My point is you were lucky to be ahead in the first place. Your point would have made sense of you had dominated up to that point and had changed how you were playing after - you didn’t.

Your defence played well and imo Gibson was brilliant.

7 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

There’s definitely a player in Donnelly (feet) but by fuk we need more out of him, striker that got zip this season, he’s had a number of starts but no rewards, need more.

Definitely a player in Donnelly??? where ?  what has he contributed to the  team last 3 or 4 games he has started , f**k all , a great chance  to win the game for us today 8 yards  out only keeper in front of him and he blasts it over the bar ,

ridiculous,  shouldn't be in the team he's been given more opportunity by Dick than he deserves over the past 2 or 3 years and gave us nothing .

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yep, watched him closely today after being very impressed at Palmerston. He is brilliant at hold up play and bringing others into play. Good touch, telescopic legs. Our defenders had clearly decided trying to nick the ball in front of him was the tactic and on a lot of occasions they did. But he still got on the ball because he reached out a long leg and brought the ball in before the defender could get round him for a 2nd touch. He has a decent short pass and would be the perfect partner for a 'Dobbie' type. 

But his shooting isnt great. A bit snatchy and mostly off target or too slow to get it away. He's not perfect. But he is the best forward in this division.

This pretty much outlines why he'll be a success for us. We're not relying on just our striker to score goals. We need a forward to be a facilitator more than anything, the same that Dykes was. If he's able to bring both guys on the wing into it then we'll do very well with him. 

If he can make space and just lay the ball through for Bailey or Forrest (both who are quick) then he'll be fine. I'm starting to think he's just going to be Dykes 2.0 but with skills and tricks thrown in. Dykes obviously a far better physical athlete but there's the trade off really.

Willie Gibson was excellent aye

LD was good but my mate said the chance he had summed him up, great touch, great cut inside totally sold the defender, but with the goal at his mercy and 8 yards out..... over the bar

To say he gives us nothing is just outright wrong though. Been a good player for us over the years

14 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

There’s definitely a player in Donnelly (feet) but by fuk we need more out of him, striker that got zip this season, he’s had a number of starts but no rewards, need more.

There may be a player in there, but whether there is a championship player in there, am not convinced 

9 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Just because your old doesn't mean you can't do things online. I can understand the club going online only at the start of the season but I think a ticket booth for cash/card payments would be a good idea. Still to travel all the way from Dumfries without actually checking out how to buy a ticket is a bit silly really.

It’s not as  if the ticketing arrangements haven’t been widely advertised, they have,  think the club have done a terrific job in letting everyone know of the procedure, am not sure what more they could have done

Eh, because you said that you revert to playing a certain way after going ahead. My point is you were lucky to be ahead in the first place. Your point would have made sense of you had dominated up to that point and had changed how you were playing after - you didn’t.
Your defence played well and imo Gibson was brilliant.

Your point is still completely irrelevant to mine. We absolutely do seem to sit further back when we take a lead. It doesn't matter how we took the lead yesterday, whether we were dominating or not. You were hardly bombarding us until we scored. You started to bombard us after we took the lead. After you scored we began to look more threatening going ahead.

The initial discussion was whether that was down to Arbroath pressing or us sitting it. I'm saying we always begin to sit further back after going ahead.

It’s not as  if the ticketing arrangements haven’t been widely advertised, they have,  think the club have done a terrific job in letting everyone know of the procedure, am not sure what more they could have done

These arrangements have coincided with our biggest home attendances in decades too. Not that a buy on the day booth wouldn’t be handy. I totally trust our club to arrange anything necessary. They don’t miss a trick [emoji106]

22 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Willie Gibson was excellent aye

LD was good but my mate said the chance he had summed him up, great touch, great cut inside totally sold the defender, but with the goal at his mercy and 8 yards out..... over the bar

To say he gives us nothing is just outright wrong though. Been a good player for us over the years

Gibson had all day to put in a wonderful cross and looked their best player, no doubt about that,      

You are right yesterday did sum up Donnelly perfectly did some good things, but when he really had to step up and win the game he wasn’t composed enough and between him and Dowds they have missed enough chances in the past two games to win another two games

I thought when we entered this league we would need to take what chances we had, because we wouldn’t create many, so a good finisher was going to be critical, but now we are creating loads of chances and we are wasting them 

43 minutes ago, ecto said:

Where have they been "widely advertised" for visiting supporters? If its been advertised wholly on websites then that again only reaches those of us  who have the facility to access websites, not those who, for whatever reason, don't bother with the Internet. In my own case, if my decision to travel hadn't been so last minute I would have checked first but I don't think its too implausible to expect to go to a game of football and not be able to pay to get in when you get there. 

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Where have they been "widely advertised" for visiting supporters? If its been advertised wholly on websites then that again only reaches those of us  who have the facility to access websites, not those who, for whatever reason, don't bother with the Internet. In my own case, if my decision to travel hadn't been so last minute I would have checked first but I don't think its too implausible to expect to go to a game of football and not be able to pay to get in when you get there. 

I dare say your own club would have been aware of the ticketing arrangements, surely a phone call to them, would have furnished you with the relevant information, surely

4 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Seriously where else are they supposed to advertise? Columns in the local Dumfries paper or a personal letter through everyone in Dumfries door? I agree that there should be something in place just Incase people have missed the info but don’t know what more you could expect the club to do in terms of making people aware on how to buy tickets 

Did you get in? I couldn’t read any more of this thread yesterday I was fat too frustrated after that game

4 points dropped before 3 really hard games coming up

9 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Still to travel all the way from Dumfries without actually checking out how to buy a ticket is a bit silly really.

To be fair, two of the three to post about it traveled from Edinburgh rather than Dumfries but the point stands I guess. I wouldnt travel to an away game without checking the procedure in advance these days. A lot of clubs have used the pandemic as an opportunity to discourage or phase out altogether physical tickets.

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No-one mentioned anything about age being a barrier to working t'internet, the are many reasons why people can't,  or choose not to be connected. To check ticketing arrangements before travelling probably still means going on-line, no good to those not able to for whatever reasons.  Not exactly sure but is Arbroath the only Championship Club which  is completely on-line ticketing with no means of pay cash/card at the ground. Its hardly an "include all" set up.  Would it be so completely unworkable to have some provision to attend for those who are not able to buy on-line. 

Raith were eticket only for away fans. Home fans had a booth and they did say in advance that if an away fan truly couldnt buy online having arrived they would sort it out at the home booth but they certainly didnt want to encourage it. 

Could you buy tickets on the day in person at Kilmarnock? Genuinely not sure. Certainly not at the away end but it was maybe possible at the ticket office. 

43 minutes ago, ecto said:

For home fans maybe. Not sure what relevance that has to away ones? It was on our OS because the writer went to look on your website and then published the info but the preview itself was late on Friday this week as our Media Officer was away. Even then thats still an online resource. I'm sure its also clear on the Arbroath website but if you dont really use the web (such people still exist and some of them are football fans) then all the online info in the world will add nothing.

Thats not particularly a criticism of Arbroath. They can do as they see fit and can hardly be expected to take out ads with the Dumfriesshire newspapers the week before (& as above not all our fans are in Dumfries). Maybe contacting the visiting club in plenty of time to get info in the programme the week before? Appreciate that having a fallback option means some people will just use it but its a surprise they will literally turn people away at the door with cash in their hands. 

I suppose its likely that fans will tend to expect what their own club does to be available elsewhere. I guess every other club in the division has either an online option or full eticketing in place so other clubs fans probably look for it / expect it more. We are still fully physical with no online option. Our fans are less likely to look, especially those who dont regularly travel away. 🤷‍♂️

43 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

My pal who is an Aberdeen fan went down to this yesterday and had a blast,  was raving about Chamoionship football and can't wait to get to another game.

Unbelievable game of football to be fair. Second half was wild towards the end. Basically zero midfield from us, everyone right up in and around their box, as soon as Queens cleared it it was attack v defence 3 on 3 kind of stuff for them in our half. Crazy game

8-4 would’ve been a more fitting scoreline 

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I would be inclined to agree with you if we didn't revert to this tactic almost any time we take the lead. Sadly we're almost as useless with a lead as we are when we go behind.

This season we have dropped points in 4 out of 7 games after scoring first (57%) and gained points in 0 out of 6 games after conceding first (0%).

Overall under Johnston, we’ve dropped points in 16 out of 34 games after scoring first (47%) and gained points in 2 out of 31 games after conceding first (6.5%).