Arbroath v Queens

Gibson and Brynn were excellent for Queens but they were in poor company. Any suggestion that the visitors deserved a point is ignoring the massive difference in chances created. Arbroath strikers need to take pointers fro Mikey McKenna in calm finishing. All I all another rousing display from Dick’s team and a great watch.

There’s definitely a player in Donnelly (feet) but by fuk we need more out of him, striker that got zip this season, he’s had a number of starts but no rewards, need more.

His physicality is improving - he’s now winning some challenges and headers. But his finishing is poor.

A tremendous match played in perfect conditions on an excellent surface. Chances galore at both ends but no question that Arbroath should have won it on the balance of play. I have rarely seen a game where every player on both sides left nothing on the pitch. The effort and commitment was really impressive. Innes Cameron missed a couple of great chances for us but he ran himself to a standstill and you can’t really ask for much more.

Really disappointed to see us retreat into a shell yet again after taking the lead and Nouble & Co really took advantage of it by creating a succession of great chances. A mixture of great goalkeeping and poor finishing kept the score level.

Arbroath really play the way I would like us to play - two up top, get the ball forward quickly, players powering forward from different positions and creating loads of chances. Strength and ability right down the centre of their team - O’Brien, McKenna and Nouble(who is different class) are huge assets.

We had some very slick counter attacks and looked dangerous - Gibson and Brynn were excellent. Paton anonymous on the left as he has been previously but did really well second half when switched to right.

Suicidal to repeatedly sit deep from a winning position (Mgr and Players don’t seem to get the memo) but a home defeat would have been a travesty in all honesty.

32 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

I only mentioned Dowds because he has been starting up front. I’m a big LD fan but he needs to start producing or I can’t see a future for him at the club unfortunately.

Am not a huge Donnelly fan, don't think he brings enough regularly enough, better player than Dowds, no doubt about that

A tremendous match played in perfect conditions on an excellent surface.

Suicidal to repeatedly sit deep from a winning position (Mgr and Players don’t seem to get the memo)

Ah, Gayfield in November. Perfect conditions, excellent surface. Thank you.

I don’t think you sat deep - I think we forced you back.

As soon as we take the lead we invariably panic and immediately retreat 10/15 yards. We have been doing it for years (nothing new) but I take nothing away from Arbroath. It is the sign of a good team who really up the ante when going behind and I am very jealous.

I would be inclined to agree with you if we didn't revert to this tactic almost any time we take the lead. Sadly we're almost as useless with a lead as we are when we go behind.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I would be inclined to agree with you if we didn't revert to this tactic almost any time we take the lead. Sadly we're almost as useless with a lead as we are when we go behind.

Come on, you took the lead against the run of play. Yes you had a few good chances but on the break.  The second half in particular was pretty much one way traffic.

ps Willie Gibson is class.

Edited by Tattie36

Come on, you took the lead against the run of play. Yes you had a few good chances but on the break.  The second half in particular was pretty much one way traffic.
ps Willie Gibson is class.

I'm struggling to see how any of that is relevant to my point tbh.

My first beef today was with the ticketing arrangements. I never goot round to looking at Queens website yesterday and when I arrived at the ground I was told that I needed an online ticket or I wouldn't get in.

Ok, I have a phone that was able to do this and, with the help of the stewatds, I went through the process. While doing so at least 4 people came along who didn't have tickets and were more or less turned away, and there may well have been more.

Where does this leave the floating fan who may think 'its a lovely day today, lets go along to Gayfield for the game', and then find out they have to go through all this rigmarole and just say 'bugger it, I'll just go home'.

When I came to the end of the process, fortunately the chap helping me saw the message that I had paid, because the 'attachments' wouldn't open. Eventually at about 2 minutes to 3 the head steward said 'I'm going to make a judgment call, in you go'. I can confirm that the £12 has come off my bank account.

As for the game, I thought it was great, but I can't believe how many times we gave the ball away.

Glad Innes scored but really, he should have had a hat trick, at least one in the first half, his goal, and the one pasgt the post when Ally set him up. He had to score there.

As for Arbroath, they were tremendous, but missed so many chances. Difficult to tell how close some of them were as most were in the second half, but I was relieved to hear the final whistle .

I thought Sol was absolutely brilliant today with at least 2 top class saves, and Willie was as good as always. 

The fact that we only conceded one goal has to be, in part, due to our defence, but, obviously, due to the glaring misses by Arbroath.

If we continue to put in so much effort I'm sure we will climb clear of trouble. 

Do we actually sit back, ir was it just the constant pressure from Arbroath which causes this. I'm sure AJ doesn't tell the players to do so.

Disappointing that Arbroath have now brought in segregation. Always liked changing ends there over the years.

Good to see such an excellent crowd there. I'll have to check my records over the past 50 odd years to see when we last had a 4 figure crowd there.

Well done Arbroath. Good to see you doing so well. Long may it continue.

49 minutes ago, Another Edin Doonhamer said:

My first beef today was with the ticketing arrangements. I never goot round to looking at Queens website yesterday and when I arrived at the ground I was told that I needed an online ticket or I wouldn't get in.

Ok, I have a phone that was able to do this and, with the help of the stewatds, I went through the process. While doing so at least 4 people came along who didn't have tickets and were more or less turned away, and there may well have been more.

Where does this leave the floating fan who may think 'its a lovely day today, lets go along to Gayfield for the game', and then find out they have to go through all this rigmarole and just say 'bugger it, I'll just go home'.

When I came to the end of the process, fortunately the chap helping me saw the message that I had paid, because the 'attachments' wouldn't open. Eventually at about 2 minutes to 3 the head steward said 'I'm going to make a judgment call, in you go'. I can confirm that the £12 has come off my bank account.

As for the game, I thought it was great, but I can't believe how many times we gave the ball away.

Glad Innes scored but really, he should have had a hat trick, at least one in the first half, his goal, and the one pasgt the post when Ally set him up. He had to score there.

As for Arbroath, they were tremendous, but missed so many chances. Difficult to tell how close some of them were as most were in the second half, but I was relieved to hear the final whistle .

I thought Sol was absolutely brilliant today with at least 2 top class saves, and Willie was as good as always. 

The fact that we only conceded one goal has to be, in part, due to our defence, but, obviously, due to the glaring misses by Arbroath.

If we continue to put in so much effort I'm sure we will climb clear of trouble. 

Do we actually sit back, ir was it just the constant pressure from Arbroath which causes this. I'm sure AJ doesn't tell the players to do so.

Disappointing that Arbroath have now brought in segregation. Always liked changing ends there over the years.

Good to see such an excellent crowd there. I'll have to check my records over the past 50 odd years to see when we last had a 4 figure crowd there.

Well done Arbroath. Good to see you doing so well. Long may it continue.

I agree with my travelling companion for the day on most of the above.

A great day out at a proper football ground.  Queens were a bit lucky to leave with a point, but there were some encouraging signs today.  Arbroath are good to watch, so it was pleasing to see a decent home crowd.

One big difference between the clubs is that there seems to be a real connection between the fans and the club at Arbroath.  Hopefully our board can find a way to get that connection back at Palmerston.

The only down side was the ticket situation.  Asking people to buy on line is fine, but surely it can't be too hard to have an option to buy tickets on the day using a card.

AED and I met a friend who works for When Saturday Comes.  The game today was their game of the month for November and it will be featured in the next edition of WSC (pretty sure he said it would be out on 9/12).

1 hour ago, Another Edin Doonhamer said:

Similar situation to myself. Made a late decision to travel up, didn't check the ticketing situation before I left home, assuming that some form of patg would be available. I was told by a steward that it was on-line tickets only, had to go back to my car where I'd left my phone and managed to purchase a ticket on-line and get in with minutes to spare. I know we're well into the 21st century but there are still a lot of people either not on t'internet or not exactly proficient at on-line shopping and downloading forms, etc. I can understand why Clubs prefer "cashless" ticketing but it could be dissuading some people from attending games. I can't see that it's such a hassle to have some form of purchasing physical tickets at the ground. Attending a football game used to be such a simple thing. 

Have I got this right? Ye cannae get in unless it is purchased online. The demographic of yer average Scottish fitba fan is defo towards the “mature” end o the scale and I know of many who do not have the means to facilitate entry. Surely we should be encouraging, not dissuading fans. Unable to attend the game the day but watched the stream. Fabulous second half, both teams really going for it and Queens  maybe a wee bit fortuitous to get the point. Have to say the Arbroath fan on the commentary was hugely biased but in a very entertaining way.

Just because your old doesn't mean you can't do things online. I can understand the club going online only at the start of the season but I think a ticket booth for cash/card payments would be a good idea. Still to travel all the way from Dumfries without actually checking out how to buy a ticket is a bit silly really.