WORLD CUP PLAY-OFFS: the Scottish balls-up scenario. It couldn't happen, could it?!

nate

Remember that if we lose to Denmark our GD goes down by at least 1 and if others are winning games their GD is going up by at least 1... so in scenarios where others are reaching 14pts there is actually no real GD buffer even though it looks like it currently.

Norway are home to Latvia then away to Netherlands, and you'd clearly expect them to get 3pts tomorrow in Oslo tomorrow... question is whether they'd manage a draw in Rotterdam (now behind closed doors after Dutch government reimposed restrictions). If not: do they concede more to Dutch than put past Latvia. Of course it's also quite conceivable in this scenario that Turkey beat Gibraltar and Montenegro and finish 2nd on 15pts.

Czech Republic you'd expect to hump Estonia at home but Wales are in behind with a game-in-hand and should beat Belarus at home even if couldn't then repeat it against Belgium.

Poland aren't going to struggle for 3pts from Andorra and Hungary; should get 4 or 6.

4 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

How do the play-offs work? If only 3 teams get to the World Cup, is it two games again, a semi-final then a final?

Aye, two games again. Random draw for the home team for the second game.

If we can get that far, I'm sure we'll all have a semi before the final.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Cheers. I just Googled it rather than being lazy. Win (draw and win on penalties) two games against middling sides and we’re there.

Edited by Scary Bear

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:
2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:
Cheers. I just Googled it rather than being lazy. Win (draw and win on penalties) two games against middling sides and we’re there.

They're not all middling sides this time, there will be some pretty good teams in there.

I mean no Spain or Portugal. That sort of team.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

They're not all middling sides this time, there will be some pretty good teams in there.

Aye, it’ll be a tougher ask this time round. 

But we’re in with a shout, which is all we could really ask for.

7 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Is the draw for the second game at the same time as the first?  I.e. A or B will play C or D?

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Serbia
Sweden
Switzerland 
Ukraine
Czechs 
Norway
Croatia
Poland
North Macedonia

Is it that bunch plus some Nations leaguers? Who is there from the Nations League? Austria, ???

Right now it would be Wales and Austria, unseeded, but Welsh might yet finish above Czechs (who are next in line from Nations League)... in which case it would be Czech Republic and Austria.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

Right now it would be Wales and Austria, unseeded, but Welsh might yet finish above Czechs (who are next in line from Nations League)... in which case it would be Czech Republic and Austria.

Tough teams, but not an impossible task.