Next permanent Rangers manager

Let’s go!  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Like I said, only interested in point scoring.

Whether it’s one tweet, two tweets or a forum doesn’t really matter, the point still stands. I know Aberdeen fans on here don’t like to be held responsible for what’s posted on AFC Chat, for example.

Governments absolutely love punishing collectives for the actions or words of individuals, and some think this is good apparently?

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Like I said, only interested in point scoring.

Whether it’s one tweet, two tweets or a forum doesn’t really matter, the point still stands. I know Aberdeen fans on here don’t like to be held responsible for what’s posted on AFC Chat, for example.

Governments absolutely love punishing collectives for the actions or words of individuals, and some think this is good apparently?

I’m not really trying to point score my argument started when AJF said Rangers fans do not abuse players because of their faith. He made a blanket statement and all I was doing is proving him wrong.

As for governments punishing a collective I agree that is incorrect but just to be clear I am not in any government decision making position I’m only posting on a football forum about comments made by football fans.

16 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not really trying to point score my argument started when AJF said Rangers fans do not abuse players because of their faith. He made a blanket statement and all I was doing is proving him wrong.

As for governments punishing a collective I agree that is incorrect but just to be clear I am not in any government decision making position I’m only posting on a football forum about comments made by football fans.

Yeah, what you did was take one snippet from my statement to change the context. If you had used my full quote, you'd have noticed I said "The majority of the time, the religion of our players or staff is brought up by fans of other clubs." A good example of this is probably sitting in the most recent posts of the Rangers thread.

Whether you want to go into semantics of what the carefully selected part of my quote meant, surely you would realise that by including the phrase "majority of the time" I would be accepting that it may happen, but generally, it is not representative of our fanbase as a whole?

Edited by AJF

20 hours ago, AJF said:

They have a point. The majority of the time, the religion of our players or staff is brought up by fans of other clubs.

This is not to deny that some of our fans have warped views on religion, but our own players are not targeted by them for displaying their faith.

You say here that some of your fans have warped views on religion but your own players are not targeted by them for displaying their faith.

I would suggest you were wrong.

12 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

You say here that some of your fans have warped views on religion but your own players are not targeted by them for displaying their faith.

I would suggest you were wrong.

And as I clearly outlined above, surely if you take into context the first part of my quote where I state "the majority of the time", then it is fairly obvious that I acknowledge that it may happen? I was getting across a point that it seems to be an issue raised by other fans more than our own considering the amount of Catholic players we employ.

If I were to change my second sentence to "This is not to deny that some of our fans have warped views on religion, but generally our own players are not targeted by them for displaying their faith." - would that satisfy your pedantry?

19 minutes ago, AJF said:

And as I clearly outlined above, surely if you take into context the first part of my quote where I state "the majority of the time", then it is fairly obvious that I acknowledge that it may happen? I was getting across a point that it seems to be an issue raised by other fans more than our own considering the amount of Catholic players we employ.

If I were to change my second sentence to "This is not to deny that some of our fans have warped views on religion, but generally our own players are not targeted by them for displaying their faith." - would that satisfy your pedantry?

I don’t know why you are getting so defensive about it I was only discussing it. 

Aye if you want to change it to generally feel free you don’t need to worry about satisfying me at all.  Whatever way you write your sentence won’t change my opinion that you, and some others, will just deflect this back.

You say that issues with Rangers signing Catholics players seems to be something that is raised by other fans more than your own - I would suggest if you have a look through those 3 threads I’ve linked that you’ll find more comments (and some of them really poor) about your players religious beliefs than you’ll find if you checked 30 or 300 threads on this or any other fan medium you wish to involving other clubs (other than your own and Celtic) in Scottish football.

4 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I don’t know why you are getting so defensive about it I was only discussing it. 

Aye if you want to change it to generally feel free you don’t need to worry about satisfying me at all.  Whatever way you write your sentence won’t change my opinion that you, and some others, will just deflect this back.

You say that issues with Rangers signing Catholics players seems to be something that is raised by other fans more than your own - I would suggest if you have a look through those 3 threads I’ve linked that you’ll find more comments (and some of them really poor) about your players religious beliefs than you’ll find if you checked 30 or 300 threads on this or any other fan medium you wish to involving other clubs (other than your own and Celtic) in Scottish football.

Come on now. You used one part of my quote to paint it as though I resolutely claimed that Rangers fans do not comment on our own players religion. All I am doing now is pointing out that, while my wording for that part could be better, the first part of my quote that you conveniently edited out shows that I acknowledged that it can happen.

If correcting your assertion is seen as defensive, then so be it.

Also, comparing a Rangers only forum to any other mixed forum will give disproportionate results because literally no other fan other than a Rangers fan would discuss it on a Rangers forum. The reason this whole debate started was because a non-Rangers fan brought up religion as an issue on this thread. Additionally, a similar remark was made this morning in the Rangers thread by a non-Rangers fan regarding religion being an issue.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Come on now. You used one part of my quote to paint it as though I resolutely claimed that Rangers fans do not comment on our own players religion. All I am doing now is pointing out that, while my wording for that part could be better, the first part of my quote that you conveniently edited out shows that I acknowledged that it can happen.

If correcting your assertion is seen as defensive, then so be it.

Also, comparing a Rangers only forum to any other mixed forum will give disproportionate results because literally no other fan other than a Rangers fan would discuss it on a Rangers forum. The reason this whole debate started was because a non-Rangers fan brought up religion as an issue on this thread. Additionally, a similar remark was made this morning in the Rangers thread by a non-Rangers fan regarding religion being an issue.

I think we are down the rabbit hole now to be honest my friend. As I said I wasn’t trying to be pedantic all I was doing was saying that when you said Rangers fans don’t abuse players due to displaying their religion that it wasn’t 100% accurate and as you’ve said your wording could have been better which I am happy to agree on. 

As you’ve clearly stated you also said that some people in your support have their warped views on religion which I am happy to agree with too and acknowledge that you have called that out in your post.

PS - I haven’t mentioned this on here for a number of years but I have heard on one occasion a Kilmarnock fan in rugby park referring to Celtic/Celtic fans as f’n b*****ds and by f’n I don’t mean fucking so I’m happy to acknowledge it’s not solely a Rangers problem.

Edited by Sortmeout

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

So, van Bronckhorst? 

Does winning the Dutch title with one of the three big clubs demonstrate anything? Genius? Basic competence? 

I'm not entirely sure what we are getting here. On the face of it, winning Feyenoord's first Dutch title in 18 years plus a couple of cups seems pretty good, but I don't know what the dynamics in the league were like during his time (such as budgets, strength of opposition etc).

5 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

i'll need to see if i can dig out the  ''t*ig loving wee ned, i want him nowhere near our club'' post,  the *aig loving ned is actually a Mr B Ferguson, i wasnt aware his wife has fish on a friday, so a rangers forum being educational came as a huge shock to me.

https://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/315495-o’halloran-dodoo/page/2/#elControls_1064669470_menu

i kinda liked this post about John McGinn

Edited by Meldrew

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Seems the next Rangers manager market has been withdrawn from a couple of bookies now so the announcement must be imminent. 

he was the only c**t on the shortlist ffs, are you that gullible that you believed there was ''excellent'' candidates ? if Gio said no, you'd be fucked because Mcinnes or someone else the forums claimed were shite and beneath them was the only option.

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

he was the only c**t on the shortlist ffs, are you that gullible that you believed there was ''excellent'' candidates ? if Gio said no, you'd be fucked because Mcinnes or someone else the forums claimed were shite and beneath them was the only option.

I never said I believed there was a plethora of candidates, but that doesn't stop bookies taking bets on them...

The only point I was making is that the market has been withdrawn which usually means it's a done deal and the bookies don't want to lose any money on it.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I never said I believed there was a plethora of candidates, but that doesn't stop bookies taking bets on them...

The only point I was making is that the market has been withdrawn which usually means it's a done deal and the bookies don't want to lose any money on it.

that's a fair point, when do think it will be announced ? Monday win or lose or Sunday evening after a win ?