Cup holders v cup hopefuls - Saints V Hibs 27/11/21

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Did James Brown genuinely get booked just for that tackle or did something else happen around it?

The goal was coming for Hibs and when one came it’s no surprise another followed. Bryson carries the can here mostly - a crazy moment in a needless position right on half time has led to this.

He got booked for kicking the ball away (again).

Just ask the Hibs boys if you want a rational explanation of anything m9..............

Thoroughly deserved victory for Hibs. We were only marginally better today than we were against St Mirren. 

Davidsonball can get in the bin. Absolutely no attempt to get us playing football and zero ambition, even the goal we got was entirely undeserved and against the run of play. Bryson also, our most experienced player, decides to make that challenge when already on a booking. Ridiculous. There’s not much sign of the identity we built over the course of last season or the character we apparently have either, a really poor display.

Hibs are a much better team than us and deserved to win. We can’t keep winning in the smash and grab manner we managed against Dundee United. 

What a waste of 2 hours of my life. Thank f**k the storm made it near on impossible to go in person and it wasn’t more than 2 hours. We were pish before the red card but snuck a goal anyway thanks to Porteus, again (probably the last one we’ll score until 2022), and then Bryson having a brain fart ended any faint hopes we might actually play some football in the second half. Defended well until we didn’t, pretty inevitable Hibs double salvo.. fire Cammy McPherson into the sea btw.

Pretty uninspired by this team now. I think we actually played some good stuff at times last season without scoring enough goals but haven’t at all this season, starting to think the difference is almost entirely down to no Ali McCann (who was best player on the park v Fulham earlier today btw). Something has to give because I can’t imagine many fans have much enthusiasm at all for games at the minute.

I didn’t think Hibs looked very good and can see why they haven’t been picking up results recently, but they clearly have a lot of quality in the squad. Being able to bring Scott Allan, Murphy and even James Scott off the bench made the difference. We had Cammy McPherson. Not a great deal we can do about that given the vast gulf in team budgets but more concerned about yet another ambition-less, insipid performance in the first half with 11 men where it looked like no one in the team could control or pass a football.

Lets be honest, the red card helped how most of us will look back on the game. Its now become a brave, battling, display with many feeling the ref was "against us". 

In the first half we done very little to deserve the lead. I'm still not even sure what our plan is for scoring beyond set plays? We can't build through midfield so it all turns into either punt and rush, or slow, tempoless, passing. Vertainen done well enough and at least showed some form of willingness to run at folk, but I don't think hes a lone striker really. Neither is MOH though, which fucked us in the 2nd half. Ball just wouldn't stick up top and I'm not sure many teams can play 45 minutes with about 2% possession and not concede. We didn't have a single touch in Hibs box apart from a Gordon and Davidson header. 

Nothing you can do when Scott Allan turns up and so it proved really, until his appearance Hibs had kind of worn out the "launch balls into the box, fall over" routine. Again though, are we all sure Porteous doesn't support Saints? Scores an own goal, makes a pointless foul to get a goal ruled out, then misses a sitter at 2-1 to keep us in with a slim chance, the evidence is piling up at this stage I'm afraid.

My frustration with refs comes entirely from how inconsistent they are. Davidson booked for "persistent" fouling after 3 fouls, Nisbet commits 5 and on multiple occasions is in the refs face and gets nothing. I just can't figure out how they come to half their decisions.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Lets be honest, the red card helped how most of us will look back on the game. Its now become a brave, battling, display with many feeling the ref was "against us". 

In the first half we done very little to deserve the lead. I'm still not even sure what our plan is for scoring beyond set plays? We can't build through midfield so it all turns into either punt and rush, or slow, tempoless, passing. Vertainen done well enough and at least showed some form of willingness to run at folk, but I don't think hes a lone striker really. Neither is MOH though, which fucked us in the 2nd half. Ball just wouldn't stick up top and I'm not sure many teams can play 45 minutes with about 2% possession and not concede. We didn't have a single touch in Hibs box apart from a Gordon and Davidson header. 

Nothing you can do when Scott Allan turns up and so it proved really, until his appearance Hibs had kind of worn out the "launch balls into the box, fall over" routine. Again though, are we all sure Porteous doesn't support Saints? Scores an own goal, makes a pointless foul to get a goal ruled out, then misses a sitter at 2-1 to keep us in with a slim chance, the evidence is piling up at this stage I'm afraid.

My frustration with refs comes entirely from how inconsistent they are. Davidson booked for "persistent" fouling after 3 fouls, Nisbet commits 5 and on multiple occasions is in the refs face and gets nothing. I just can't figure out how they come to half their decisions.

The goals were coming and should have come much earlier if Hanlon hadn't slipped yards out.

Both teams were poor but Hibs managed to grind out a win which is all you can do when you're on the run they were on.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

The goals were coming and should have come much earlier if Hanlon hadn't slipped yards out.

Both teams were poor but Hibs managed to grind out a win which is all you can do when you're on the run they were on.

From the moment you saw our line up in the 2nd half it was clear the result depended on how Hibs played. Crawford and MacPherson are soft as shite, and then we had MOH up front, who can't win any ball thats off the ground and loves a run up a blind alley. It surprised me to see how high our possession figures were between the start of the 2nd and the winner, (25.9%), as it just felt like endless waves of Hibs attacks, bookended by us hoofing it out the park trying to find Rooney.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Taking your last point first, the worst of that was just how pitiful the third foul that brought about the booking was. I mean fair enough if he was on five or six fouls and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back but that was a nonsense.

That second half needed Chris Kane for us. At least then we might have got out of our own half for more than two or three seconds. Massively disappointing to get that far without conceding then lose the game but you felt it was only a matter of time.

This next week has become crucial to us. Two wins and we probably leave County and Dundee well behind us. Two defeats and we are in big trouble.

A pretty big rethink and rebuild is required just now I think. I just don’t see where we thought a goal was coming from in that first half - Vertainen had some nice enough touches but he was completely isolated. If we’re going to give him a shot put him up with Kane midweek. 

And yes, Porteous is definitely a Saints fan.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

That second half needed Chris Kane for us.

Yeah my one sympathy with the manager was his striking options today were all poor ones as a lone striker.

As with with the complaints about selling Kerr/McCann "too late in the window to replace", its not as if Davidson has suddenly been dumped with this squad. Its been clear to him and us for 3 windows now that Kane is our only lone striker, and hes never even tried to bring in an alternative.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

From the moment you saw our line up in the 2nd half it was clear the result depended on how Hibs played. Crawford and MacPherson are soft as shite, and then we had MOH up front, who can't win any ball thats off the ground and loves a run up a blind alley. It surprised me to see how high our possession figures were between the start of the 2nd and the winner, (25.9%), as it just felt like endless waves of Hibs attacks, bookended by us hoofing it out the park trying to find Rooney.

Saints seemed weirdly subdued. Even the goal celebration had several players looking like they couldn't even be arsed.

The stream I had must have been the home one. They were raving about the strength in depth at the back but I just don't see it. 

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Saints seemed weirdly subdued. Even the goal celebration had several players looking like they couldn't even be arsed.

The stream I had must have been the home one. They were raving about the strength in depth at the back but I just don't see it. 

Its been like that in every home game this season tbh. Our line up changes weekly, half the squad are loanees, and we're struggling. We barely do anything on the ball so really the last 15 months has just been us defending like f**k and trying to snatch a goal, honestly wouldn't be surprised if its just ground a lot of players down tbh, shift they have to put in every week is crazy.

No idea what they're on about with depth at the back. We change whos played RCB every week because nobody can perform consistently.