Rangers v St Mirren - Boxing Day

Just now, AB1872 said:

Some obsessed maniac on Kerrydale paused today’s game to count those in attendance. He’s claiming there 520! pleasing he spent so much of his day obsessing about Rangers. Absolutely rent free 

Must have been 521, Shirley?  McGregor was also a spectator...

1 hour ago, Lex said:

No disgrace in the scoreline or performance, especially given the circumstances.

Can't agree with that, I thought it was a pathetic performance all round. Yes, Rangers are a good team and we weren't at full strength but we didn't defend well and just didn't attack for the full 90 mins. I don't think Alan McGregor touched the ball with his hands the full 90 mins. We had a threadbare squad against Celtic and offered more in the game. Goodwin made various changes to the team so tiredness can't exactly be a compliant. 

The closest we got to making McGregor work was a half-arsed penalty shout. Other results went our way today, we are fortunate in that regard. I'm sure on Wednesday morning, when the games were confirmed as going ahead, everyone would have taken a point and -2 goal difference from the 2 games but that performance today was hopeless. 

Alnwick prevented that from being a complete doing. Rangers were absolutely on it today, even if we could have done better for the goals.

Given the circumstances for the 2 games, and our abhorent run of form, to be 5 points ahead of 12th place is pretty decent.

Winter break comes at a good time for us. Hopefully see a bit of movement in the window.

I'd be inclined to take money for McGrath in this window and re-invest it in the team, if its a good enough offer.

53 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Can't agree with that, I thought it was a pathetic performance all round. Yes, Rangers are a good team and we weren't at full strength but we didn't defend well and just didn't attack for the full 90 mins. I don't think Alan McGregor touched the ball with his hands the full 90 mins. We had a threadbare squad against Celtic and offered more in the game. Goodwin made various changes to the team so tiredness can't exactly be a compliant. 

The closest we got to making McGregor work was a half-arsed penalty shout. Other results went our way today, we are fortunate in that regard. I'm sure on Wednesday morning, when the games were confirmed as going ahead, everyone would have taken a point and -2 goal difference from the 2 games but that performance today was hopeless. 

Not sure what more you could have done, really.  Power, Dunne and Alnwick all had good games and made timely tackles/saves and worked to keep the score down.

We're not the soft touch that we were earlier in the season.

38 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not sure what more you could have done, really.  Power, Dunne and Alnwick all had good games and made timely tackles/saves and worked to keep the score down.

We're not the soft touch that we were earlier in the season.

Power? I thought he was absolutely anonymous today. Limited player but usually he gets about and puts a few tackles in. Other than first noticing him in the 33rd minute and then a poor challenge later in second half he contributed nothing to the game.

Alnwick was excellent with little chance at either goal. 

Dunne and Shaughnessy both deserve a mention but let down by others. 

It’s ok to park the bus / get forced back but when you do have possession you need to have a game plan. Hitting it up to Main who was totally isolated is not the way to go. Main is a bang average player but felt sorry for him today. He just didn’t have a chance 

Not sure how fit McGrath and Erahorn were. Two decent players but along with Power they contributed very little in helping to relieve the pressure on the Saints defence. 

43 minutes ago, bennett said:

celtic fans on social  media asking questions about the lack of effort that StMirren put in against us today.

Not checked post match stats but would be surprised if we had more efforts on St Mirrens goal than they did. 
Also Rangers were playing more or less St Mirrens first XI unlike the St Mirren team they were up against 

3 hours ago, AB1872 said:

Some obsessed maniac on Kerrydale paused today’s game to count those in attendance. He’s claiming there 520! pleasing he spent so much of his day obsessing about Rangers. Absolutely rent free 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

celtic fans on social  media asking questions about the lack of effort that StMirren put in against us today.

Not a Celtic fan near the thread and check out this pair rattling on about Celtic fans and how obsessed they are. :lol: 

A really good, professional performance from us today. It was highlighted during the game how high we were pressing St Mirren. Our CB’s average position must’ve been well into the St Mirren half which I’m surprised Goodwin never really tried to combat for most of the game.

It looks like Alfredo is really starting to get into the groove again and he is definitely looking a bit leaner which is probably no coincidence.

I’m hoping our squad depth will shine through this season, and if you consider we are on a run of 9 wins and we have still to add Jack, Roofe, Helander, Davis and Balogun back into the mix following their injuries then we are definitely in a strong position.

Firstly, Celtic are obviously a worse side than Rangers. And we were at home. But yes, we played better against weaker opponents.
We’ve hardly trained in a fortnight and we are missing key players in all positions (McCarthy, Ronan, Brophy). The few first team players we have left everything on the pitch after a gruelling 90 mins on Wednesday.
We were playing a fresh team at full pelt who’ve had the whole week to focus on this game. We weren’t even sure the Wednesday game would happen, never mind this one. Preparations could certainly have been better.
If your expectations were higher than 2-0 defeat going into this game then fair enough. You’re a far bigger optimist than me.

52 minutes ago, Lex said:

Firstly, Celtic are obviously a worse side than Rangers. And we were at home. But yes, we played better against weaker opponents.
We’ve hardly trained in a fortnight and we are missing key players in all positions (McCarthy, Ronan, Brophy). The few first team players we have left everything on the pitch after a gruelling 90 mins on Wednesday.
We were playing a fresh team at full pelt who’ve had the whole week to focus on this game. We weren’t even sure the Wednesday game would happen, never mind this one. Preparations could certainly have been better.
If your expectations were higher than 2-0 defeat going into this game then fair enough. You’re a far bigger optimist than me.

All valid points,  but we're presently way off where we should be. 

10 or 11 games devoid of a win suggests JG has a limited time left. 

I didn't want Goodwin as manager but everyone deserves a fair crack. 

If we dont get 3 points from either of our next 2 games,  it's time for a change. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

I expected worse than a 2-0 defeat, I said as much pre-match. Alnwick did very well today to keep it to 2. I didn’t expect 4 players to stand watching Barisic put a cross in or Saints not to be able to string 3 passes together with zero attacking intent. I don’t think they are unrealistic expectations.

Even when down to 10 men and anywhere between 1 and 6 goals down at Parkhead we posed far more of a threat. It is a performance that requires much work especially when the team today resembled a starting XI for us compared to that of Wednesday. 

Edited by buddie06smfc

22 hours ago, Lex said:

I prefer your posts about the Queen, tbqhwy