New Year in Scotland

Thorongil

Utterly pished last night.  Not been so drunk in a very long time. 

At 11 the wife suggests we play the Goonies board game she got for Christmas. I opened the box and started reading the 6 page instructions booklet. No chance. Too far gone. Ended up watching the shite TV and drinking more. 

15 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

A message to any prospective P&B members - please consider being a bird. Thank you.

Doing nothing to dispel the theory this is a place for VLs.

19 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Those were my recollections, too, but I'm struggling to remember what my mother served up on New Years Day, but that might be because it's 30 years since I was "home" for New Year

If you'd made it home you'd have been in our bed at dinner time.

Moved to Scotland as a kid but I wasn't aware of this whole steak pie tradition till my mid 20s when I went round to my girlfriend at the times family on New years day. They were as confused as I about not knowing about it. 
As for Hogmanay I used to find it alright when you could do a pub crawl and then settle at whatever one you like but given just about every pub charges you to get in now on New Year’s Eve its all a bit too regimented.

38 minutes ago, philpy said:

Steak pie from s mcmaster in tranent. Anyone in the area, pop in and buy one. 

20220101_165927.jpg

Tbh I prefer to see more actual chunks of meat. That looks a wee bit shredded. Also prefer the pastry to be visible and on side of the plate or top of the meat, and not soggy due to being embedded under a layer of gravy.

Need some vegetables too. I had roast beetroot, turnip & carrot tonight as well as green peas. Need proper potatoes too; either roast, mashed or ideally both, rather than 5 “cocks in breadcrumbs”.

6/10 for effort, 4/10 for presentation and 10/10 for adding cooked coated dismembered cocks on the New Year plate.

My main take from this thread is that food boundaries are inconsistent - the chipper line, the salt and sauce line, and the steak pie on NYD line are not all in the same place.
Thats a safety thing. If it was one area that called it a chipper, had salt and vinegar, and didnt have steak pie on NYD, it would be a no brainer to nuke it.