The Gender Debate

jamamafegan

That article also mentions that Lord Falconer, who was lord chancellor and justice secretary for a bit under Blair, saying that section 35 wasn’t justified.

Can’t* work out why the BBC would give greater prominence to the one backing the U.K. government.

*very much can 

40 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

BBC reporting Lord Hope (former Supreme Court judge)as saying that the SG are on to a loser.

Interesting, if true, as he is Scottish and was a top judge!

I heard it reported last night that the Scottish Parliament were very confident in their legal advice. Lawyers, eh?

Kezia Dugdale (remember her?) was actually very good on Times Radio earlier talking about how it wouldn't actually pass in the first place if it wasn't compatible with the Equality Act and that the folk talking about single sex spaces aren't realising (or are deliberately misrepresenting) that having a Gender Recognition Certificate has no bearing on access to these spaces at the moment and that will continue to be the case. 

Have a read of the Henry Deedes column...jeezo!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11646353/HENRY-DEEDES-watches-Government-blocks-Sturgeons-Gender-Reform-Bill.html

Naturally, his words did little to soothe raw SNP tempers. What a raucous bunch they were. Pony-tailed Chris Law (Dundee W) was up on, down on his feet as though a troop of red ants were marching up his inside leg.

Pete Wishart (Perth) frothed and foamed, his eyeballs, in their customary fashion, set to a high spin.

Incidentally, one notable absentee: the usually ever-present Joanna Cherry (Edinburgh SW). She fervently opposed Sturgeon’s Gender Reform Bill and paid with her job as a result. Meanwhile, the party’s leader Stephen Flynn kept darting in and out of the chamber. Bathroom issues? More likely he was scrambling to the bat-phone to relay urgent updates back to Auntie Nicola in Holyrood.

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

People actually get paid for this.

I'd rather not contribute to their salary by clicking on the link.

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I heard it reported last night that the Scottish Parliament were very confident in their legal advice. Lawyers, eh?

I tagged Ad Lib about it but he hasn't been on. The Government case looks very weak to me, especially as they already allow you to choose what gender you want on a passport or driving license, or to change them, without any gender certificate at all. Stuff like 16/17 year old Scots changing gender to get into St Trinians or wherever is laughable, or someone changing sex to scupper a woman's attempt to get equal pay to men... The threshold of section 35 is that the Government's objections have to be 'reasonable'. 

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

This crusty Tory judge says the legal challenge will fail. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-64315517

Quite sensible - his noble lordship wants reasonable Britons to sit round the table for discussion (whilst smoking brandy) whilst the Scotch are allowed into the room (albeit kept on leashes) and allowed to lick up scraps from the floor.

As he says, “this is nawt an atteck on devolution - I say, what tosh. It is, rawthaw, what devolution involves, what.”

2 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

People actually get paid for this.

I'd rather not contribute to their salary by clicking on the link.

Deedes is an excellent sketch writer.

His job is to poke fun at MP’s at Westminster.

If you read the article, he ridicules Douglas Ross and Alister Jack and quite a few Labour MP’s.

Its very noticeable that the SNP cultists on here seem to suffer from ‘humour deficit’.

23 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

If you read the article, he ridicules Douglas Ross and Alister Jack and quite a few Labour MP’s.

Its very noticeable that the SNP cultists on here seem to suffer from ‘humour deficit’.

Have to admit he's spot on about Jack.

Admittedly Alister Jack is not necessarily the most diplomatic vessel to deal with the SNP. He is just the sort of the token Scot that the Nationalists loathe: Received Pronunciation, privately educated, fabulously rich etc. It’s possible his experience of life north of the border doesn’t extend much further than a spot of reeling and a bracing morning or two on the grouse moor.

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

If I want a childish chuckle, I'll buy the Beano. (A higher seller in Scotland than the Daily Mail).

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah, seems that way.  I completely missed it.  I met a few years ago and he seemed perfectly amiable and reasonable.  

I had hoped that he was trolling but such a period of time ploughing that deep furrow has convinced me that he really means the stuff and I find that to be so disappointing.

As for Mr Hope, I viewed an interview with him on The Nine last night and I was taken by how, almost in a partisan fashion, how he judged it as he did with no solicitory wriggle room whatsoever.

I wondered about his purpose and came to the view that the Sillars protocol was at play.

Spence has went fully down the Drunk Uncle at Weddings over the past few years. Loves to come out with the old 'I identify as a penguin' patter which is a mark of absolute no-righters everywhere.