Celtic v Rangers Wed 2nd February

Having wisely booked today off and recently surfacing from my pit - I have come to the conclusion that Australia and Japan are fucking awesome. 

Seriously though, delighted with the win and performance and chuffed for Ange more than anyone. That first half display was magnificent. 
 I hate when Rangers appoint a manager I don’t dislike and Gio seems a guid guy, anyone who’s friends with the great Henrik has to be, but he’s heaped a shit load of pressure on himself early doors here.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Japan are brilliant at producing high level footballers.  Quite why other nations don't dive into the market that much is strange.

They also put in a shift. Watching Maeda chase after people after playing the day before and a 9000 mile trip is mind blowing, and Hatate was everywhere but there is also end product and humility. 

To think we had people who think they know about football on this forum slating the standard of the J-league and suggesting it to be no better than our Championship 🤣

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Japan are brilliant at producing high level footballers.  Quite why other nations don't dive into the market that much is strange.

Look at the Japan squad, they have players all over Europe, 15 of their last squad play in Europe. German teams especially look in this region. They also have players currently at Arsenal and Liverpool.

Just think Hatate isn't in the squad, Maeda only has 4 caps and Kyogo has started 1 game for Japan so is very much a squad player. They are definitely doing something right.

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

Look at the Japan squad, they have players all over Europe, 15 of their last squad play in Europe. German teams especially look in this region. They also have players currently at Arsenal and Liverpool.

Just think Hatate isn't in the squad, Maeda only has 4 caps and Kyogo has started 1 game for Japan so is very much a squad player. They are definitely doing something right.

Very good coaches imo.

51 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

But he's staunch and Dutch and WATP?

I know your joking but I’m pretty sure it’s a Dutch tradition to give Catholic kids “Latin” first names (Pierre, Fernando, Giovanni etc)… how staunch could he be.  

on subject of Latin names, at certain times he looks like Pedro 

53 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

Having wisely booked today off and recently surfacing from my pit - I have come to the conclusion that Australia and Japan are fucking awesome. 

Seriously though, delighted with the win and performance and chuffed for Ange more than anyone. That first half display was magnificent. 
 I hate when Rangers appoint a manager I don’t dislike and Gio seems a guid guy, anyone who’s friends with the great Henrik has to be, but he’s heaped a shit load of pressure on himself early doors here.

Hope you’re suffering big time!

1 minute ago, Henrik's tongue said:

2 cocodamol for breakfast! 

I had to pick up my  youngest daughter from the O2 last night. You have no idea how much I enjoyed watching that shit show without so much as a beer and then having to drive into City centre as the buses and cars of celebrating Celtic fans jammed the roads. 

it was great fun!!!

21 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

I had to pick up my  youngest daughter from the O2 last night. You have no idea how much I enjoyed watching that shit show without so much as a beer and then having to drive into City centre as the buses and cars of celebrating Celtic fans jammed the roads. 

it was great fun!!!

Haha been there! (not the O2, although I have been there) but in similar circumstances the other way round I mean.

This is a bit of a non-issue that has grown arms and legs. Gio was not granted a work permit until after the semi final. He was simply not allowed to interfere or take charge.
Really?

I thought it was confirmed at the time that he was fine to be involved but he chose not to, but Makaay wasn't. Seems a bit odd he wouldn't have a work permit on the Saturday/Sunday but did on the Monday morning to start training.

3 hours ago, AJF said:

But I'm not arguing there is no potential for it to be a disaster. I'm arguing that it is not a disaster yet. I think any Rangers fan would tell you that things haven't been good enough in our recent form and we do need to improve significantly, but let's not pretend we were flying under Gerrard this season. We conceded the first goal in a ridiculous number of games and had to scrap to salvage as many points as possible.

1 point behind at the beginning of February is not a disaster. Losing the league and the ultimate CL windfall that goes with it, would be. I'm not sure what there is to disagree with in what I'm saying.

It's fair to say that this particular fixture has a tendency to lead to wild over-reactions (on how good / bad players or coaches are) 😇

1 minute ago, gaz5 said:

Really?

I thought it was confirmed at the time that he was fine to be involved but he chose not to, but Makaay wasn't. Seems a bit odd he wouldn't have a work permit on the Saturday/Sunday but did on the Monday morning to start training.

According to Ross Wilson, anyway:

RANGERS have revealed that Gio van Bronckhorst's work permit was only completed today, meaning he was unable to be in the dugout for Sunday's match against Hibs.

The Dutchman was officially announced as Gers boss last week but was unveiled today at a press conference. 

Some reports suggested that van Bronckhorst's work permit was completed last week alongside his backroom team, but Rangers sporting directed Ross Wilson today confirmed that this was not the case. 

He said: "The process for the work permits was concluded this morning for Gio and all of his backroom staff."

Rangers reveal why Giovanni van Bronckhorst was not in the dugout for Hibs clash | HeraldScotland

Well, he would say that after the fact though, wouldn't he, regardless of whether or was true or not, based on the outcome.

I mean, I don't have a skin in this game, but those Government agencies arent exactly renowned for working weekends to process work permit applications for him to start training on Monday morning.

But yeah, if I was Ross Wilson, that's exactly what I'd have said as well.

6 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Well, he would say that after the fact though, wouldn't he, regardless of whether or was true or not, based on the outcome.

I mean, I don't have a skin in this game, but those Government agencies agent exactly renowned for working weekends to process work permit applications for him to start training on Monday morning.

But yeah, if I was Ross Wilson, that's exactly what I'd have said as well.

The way I read it, was his work permit wasn't sorted until the morning of his first press conference, which was a Monday. You claim yourself that these government agencies aren't renowned for working weekends to process work permit applications, so with it being that he was only announced on the Thursday would it be unrealistic to think his work permit was applied for on the Thursday/Friday and was not approved until the Monday due to them not working the weekend? (I have no idea what is involved in a work permit application).

I just think it is a very weak argument to try and attack him with. He was announced on Thursday, yet he was expected to intervene in a match on the Sunday without working with the players prior to this? And even now, when a direct quote from the man that hired him claims his work permit wasn't in place for the semi final, it's just convenient?

Come on, man.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think the 3 goals conceded against Hibs,GVB hasn't learned much in recent results with 3 against Ross county and 3 against Celtic.
Sevco need to stay in touch of Celtic or even get the better results before the split to have any chance of winning the league.
After the split Sevco will be up against it with the away fixtures.

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I think the 3 goals conceded against Hibs,GVB hasn't learned much in recent results with 3 against Ross county and 3 against Celtic.
Sevco need to stay in touch of Celtic or even get the better results before the split to have any chance of winning the league.
After the split Sevco will be up against it with the away fixtures.

For once, Willy, I completely agree with you.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

For once, Willy, I completely agree with you.

I tried to point this out to you yesterday before the match and you kinda agreed with me in this thread with your before slippy G left point.
The stagnant nature of your squad before GVB came in,the managerial bounce when he came in to now.