Celtic v Rangers Wed 2nd February

The way I read it, was his work permit wasn't sorted until the morning of his first press conference, which was a Monday. You claim yourself that these government agencies aren't renowned for working weekends to process work permit applications, so with it being that he was only announced on the Thursday would it be unrealistic to think his work permit was applied for on the Thursday/Friday and was not approved until the Monday due to them not working the weekend? (I have no idea what is involved in a work permit application).
I just think it is a very weak argument to try and attack him with. He was announced on Thursday, yet he was expected to intervene in a match on the Sunday without working with the players prior to this? And even now, when a direct quote from the man that hired him claims his work permit wasn't in place for the semi final, it's just convenient?
Come on, man.
You boys and blue don't half take observations by interested observers against your beloved boys in blue personally. [emoji1787]

"Attack him", really, you think posting that question is attacking him? Wow.

Is it possible he didn't have a work permit on the Sunday but did for Monday morning? If course it is. Is it possible he did, but didn't want to intervene for the reasons you suggest (not having worked with the players)? Also yes.

Given the result would Ross Wilson day he didn't either way to deflect from those questions? Of course he would, that's how the games played. We'll never know the reality.

All I can say is that there are plenty of managers out there who would have found some way to make some impact, particularly after the first half, work permit issues or not.

FWIW it's too early to tell if GVB is going to be a good manager for Rangers or not, that'll be answered in whether he can win the league or not. And he does seem like a fairly likeable guy. Unusual for them both to have likeable managers at the same time.

But it's not too early to say that the early signs of his tenure aren't great either, especially after the winter break. Before then he tweaked a few obvious things but was mostly a continuation. Since the break, when he's had the time to work with them more and implement more of the style he wants, it's been really poor and that style looks, quite frankly, duller than a dull thing and not suited to the players he has.

5 points from 12 in 2022 over 3 poor performances and an absolutely abysmal performance in getting hosed by your biggest rival. And at a time where most would concede Celtic had the tougher run of fixtures but picked up 12 from 12. Jury is definitely out on GVB the next 14 games.

20 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

You boys and blue don't half take observations by interested observers against your beloved boys in blue personally. emoji1787.png

Is it possible he didn't have a work permit on the Sunday but did for Monday morning? If course it is. Is it possible he did, but didn't want to intervene for the reasons you suggest (not having worked with the players)? Also yes.

Given the result would Ross Wilson day he didn't either way to deflect from those questions? Of course he would, that's how the games played. We'll never know the reality.

All I can say is that there are plenty of managers out there who would have found some way to make some impact, particularly after the first half, work permit issues or not.

FWIW it's too early to tell if GVB is going to be a good manager for Rangers or not, that'll be answered in whether he can win the league or not. And he does seem like a fairly likeable guy. Unusual for them both to have likeable managers at the same time.

But it's not too early to say that the early signs of his tenure aren't great either, especially after the winter break. Before then he tweaked a few obvious things but was mostly a continuation. Since the break, when he's had the time to work with them more and implement more of the style he wants, it's been really poor and that style looks, quite frankly, duller than a dull thing and not suited to the players he has.

5 points from 12 in 2022 over 3 poor performances and an absolutely abysmal performance in getting hosed by your biggest rival. And at a time where most would concede Celtic had the tougher run of fixtures but picked up 12 from 12. Jury is definitely out on GVB the next 14 games.

It's not taking things personally, it was clarifying your first assertion that GVB not taking charge of or intervening during the semi final should've somehow been a warning sign of some sort. That's the part I feel you are unjustly criticising him for. Obviously it's transpired that you believed he decided not to, rather than being prevented from doing so due to his work permit as reported, so that's fair enough. We have no way of knowing for sure, so I suppose you will feel entitled to believe one thing and I will believe another.

In terms of plenty other managers finding a way to get involved, I can't really recall an instance of that happening so I will take your word for it. I've seen plenty occasions where a new manager has watched their team from the stand before taking charge but I can't say what they did or didn't do to influence the match.

The rest of your post I agree with. It's not looking like an exciting brand of football at the moment and there seems to be a lot of naivety in expecting things to work out rather than making sure things work out.

That was always the biggest strength of Gerrard and his coaching staff, their ability to adapt in game. Very rarely we seen them under large periods of sustained pressure because they recognised it early and made tweaks accordingly. We need to get back to that and start playing the opponent rather than trust we will overcome them simply by playing our way.

Edited by AJF

29 minutes ago, AJF said:

That was always the biggest strength of Gerrard and his coaching staff, their ability to adapt in game.

Sevco have only been able to put 4 wins together twice this season and both have came under GVB in all competitions.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

20 hours ago, Empty It said:

Why every game do commentators feel the need to compare Celtics Japanese players to Nakamura?

Why? Cos human beings are programmed to spot similarities/differences/patterns.

If there was an influx of Scottish players into a Japanese team who happened to have an influential Scottish player 10 yrs prior, you don’t think Japanese commentators would compare them?

7 minutes ago, MarbellaDEE said:

Kids these days, no respect. 

You love to see it. 

F46C04A8-7DE2-4979-9340-75CB2EB51750.jpeg

The wee fella ran the stewards ragged, put 2 of them on their arse before giving McGregor the fingers. Done more in his 1 minute cameo than Diallo done in his 45 

55 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

The wee fella ran the stewards ragged, put 2 of them on their arse before giving McGregor the fingers. Done more in his 1 minute cameo than Diallo done in his 45 

You're very fixated with Diallo, eh 🤣

5 hours ago, gaz5 said:

You boys and blue don't half take observations by interested observers against your beloved boys in blue personally. emoji1787.png

Only rival. Not biggest.

5 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

I’m sure radio Scotland compared him to Messi at the weekend 😂

17 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We’ll know come April/May if he wins the league or not. What’s evidence is the pressing, in your face style has gone under GVB.

Dialla and Tavernier looked absolutely terrified when they came out the tunnel last night - one is a kid, but the other is your captain and leader.

You we’re not only outplayed but outfought and out worked.

You need to hope and pray that Ramsay, Jack, Balogun, Helander and Morelos are fit and available for every game or your are fucked.

This was my biggest takeaway from the game as well. Rangers looked like it was coming out for a late-June training session and looked very lackluster.

17 hours ago, AJF said:

1 point behind at the beginning of February is not a disaster. Losing the league and the ultimate CL windfall that goes with it, would be. I'm not sure what there is to disagree with in what I'm saying.

The bigger disaster for Rangers the last five days was what happened against Ross County. Sure, getting taken to the woodshed by your rival sucks, but it was a road game against a Celtic team with fresh legs and you get a chance to return the favor in two months. Tossing two points into the river against one of the worst clubs in the league is something that could haunt come May.