Celtic v Rangers Wed 2nd February

Celtic were as good for 45 minutes last night as we were bad.  GvB got his tactics for the first half catastrophically wrong.  You can't put a team of attacking players out and try to get them to let Celtic do their usual and tire themselves out after an hour.

The players he put out in the second half should have been the starting line up, and there are a few from that starting lineup that need a couple of weeks out the team. Hopefully Jack can start getting games under his belt now and Helander and Balogun are fit.

It's also clear that without Alfredo, we don't have another striker that can play up front on his own.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Barasic was worth £10m+ in the summer apparently. 

Now the majority seem to be screaming for Bassey to be the first choice left back 🤣 That clown wouldn't get a game for the Dons.

I’m sure he would. You’ve got Bates and McCrorie playing FFS!

Anyway

That result had been coming. Celtic hadn’t won an Old Firm in three years. Rangers have been the better team but also carried a fair bit of luck and that ran out last night.

Not playing a fit Balogan and Jack is just inexplicable. Sticking with the same defence as Saturdays shambles is inexcusable. 

12 hours ago, Empty It said:

I don't think running your team into the ground in the first half is a very good or sustainable tactic, any half decent European team will easily exploit that.

I get what you are saying but I’m hoping with 5 sub rule looking likely to stay for the foreseeable it will allow us to keep the intensity more once we have players back and more of Anges type of players. A lot of who we have signed didn’t have pre seasons so I think we will be in a far better position come next season to sustain it during games.

11 hours ago, AJF said:

In context though, we have won 26 out of 33 points available under Gio in the league. I don't think you can call that a disaster by any stretch. Dropping points in 3 of our last 4 matches has damaged us so of course, we need to improve. I'm just not buying the disaster chat.

Yeah, taking over a skint club, with a 7 point lead, with a £40m pot for keeping that lead isn’t a disaster - ok then.

12 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yeah, taking over a skint club, with a 7 point lead, with a £40m pot for keeping that lead isn’t a disaster - ok then.

I'm not sure this 7 point lead thing is accurate. When Gio took over from Gerrard we were 4 points ahead of Celtic. We extended our lead to 6 for 1 match round and we now obviously find ourselves in a poor position, being 2nd, but given that 3 of those points swung last night, I'm just not buying that his tenure has been a "disaster".

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AB1872 said:

I’m sure he would. You’ve got Bates and McCrorie playing FFS!

Anyway

That result had been coming. Celtic hadn’t won an Old Firm in three years. Rangers have been the better team but also carried a fair bit of luck and that ran out last night.

Not playing a fit Balogan and Jack is just inexplicable. Sticking with the same defence as Saturdays shambles is inexcusable. 

Bates and McCrorie are miles ahead of Bassey at CB. Hayes and MacKenzie are ahead of him at LB.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not sure this 7 point lead thing is accurate. When Gio took over from Gerrard we were 4 points ahead of Celtic. We extended our lead to 6 for 1 match round and we now obviously find ourselves in a poor position, being 2nd, but given that 3 of those points swung last night, I'm just not buying that his tenure has been a "disaster".

He looked and sounded like Pedro in his post match interview last night. 

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The laugh is you're going to persist with someone way out of his depth in one of those positions for the upcoming weeks.

Nope. We have Balogan back and Helander almost there. Bassey will be left back on Sunday. 

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

We’ll know come April/May if he wins the league or not. What’s evidence is the pressing, in your face style has gone under GVB.

Dialla and Tavernier looked absolutely terrified when they came out the tunnel last night - one is a kid, but the other is your captain and leader.

You we’re not only outplayed but outfought and out worked.

You need to hope and pray that Ramsay, Jack, Balogun, Helander and Morelos are fit and available for every game or your are fucked.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

We’ll know come April/May if he wins the league or not. What’s evidence is the pressing, in your face style has gone under GVB.

Dialla and Tavernier looked absolutely terrified when they came out the tunnel last night - one is a kid, but the other is your captain and leader.

You we’re not only outplayed but outfought and out worked.

You need to hope and pray that Ramsay, Jack, Balogun, Helander and Morelos are fit and available for every game or your are fucked.

Aye, no qualms with that. If we don't win the league he will have failed. I just don't think we are at that stage yet.

I also agree about the style of play - it needs adapted to suit what we are and were previously good at. Saying that, it was all rather stale under Gerrard this season too.

Edited by AJF