St Mirren v Motherwell 1/2/22

A February festival of football under the floodlights awaits us at the SMISA Stadium tomorrow. Jordan Jones will surely be making his debut in the black and white.

Motherwell had been on a good run but seem to have run out of steam a bit in their last four games. Gubbed by 10 man County, needed extra time to beat Morten (lol), couldn't even beat Hibs and then a meek loss to Hearts at the weekend. They no longer look assured of a top six spot. We on the other hand are enjoying 2022, winning all three of our games this year. We also should be fresh for this after Malik gave us the weekend off while Motherwell were getting toed at Tynecastle.

We should have won at Fir Park in October, but a combination of Watt at one end and Kelly at the other meant The Well hung on for a 2-2 draw. This should be a home win, right? Not that confident actually. We only seem to be able to beat Aberdeen in Paisley, and I'm sure Alexander will see this game as a great chance to end their poor run before Celtic visit them at the weekend. There seems to be a lot of draws between us so I'll go for another one here.

1-1

Edited by Lex

9This can go either way. 

We really should have won the 2-2 game if our chronic ability to screw ourselves (along with a ref who decides saving penalties doesn't count)

However I don't think we will win away from home. Its 2 wins on the road this season (3 if you include Queens park). Which is extremely disappointing. 

In any case I do hope this will be a 2-0 victory to the Well with Van Veen and Our Pal Joe" with one a piece. Still pessimistic and feel like it will be a 1-0 loss.

Also would any buddies know the best places to park. First time going to away game ssinc e I git my car and I'm not familiar with the best parking arrangements.

Also would any buddies know the best places to park. First time going to away game ssinc e I git my car and I'm not familiar with the best parking arrangements.

Assuming you’re coming from the motorway I’d go for McFarlane St. Less than 10 mins walk from the away end and easy access back to the motorway post match.

21 hours ago, Lex said:

A February festival of football under the floodlights awaits us at the SMISA Stadium tomorrow. Jordan Jones will surely be making his debut in the black and white.

Motherwell had been on a good run but seem to have run out of steam a bit in their last four games. Gubbed by 10 man County, needed extra time to beat Morten (lol), couldn't even beat Hibs and then a meek loss to Hearts at the weekend. They no longer look assured of a top six spot. We on the other hand are enjoying 2022, winning all three of our games this year. We also should be fresh for this after Malik gave us the weekend off while Motherwell were getting toed at Tynecastle.

We should have won at Fir Park in October, but a combination of Watt at one end and Kelly at the other meant The Well hung on for a 2-2 draw. This should be a home win, right? Not that confident actually. We only seem to be able to beat Aberdeen in Paisley, and I'm sure Alexander will see this game as a great chance to end their poor run before Celtic visit them at the weekend. There seems to be a lot of draws between us so I'll go for another one here.

1-1

Jones has played a total of 9 games this season so far the player himself said he is not up to speed that it will take a few weeks of hard work at training to get back up to speed. Will be surprised if Jones starts this game maybe a sub later in the game ?  Motherwell is never an easy game you have to work hard to beat them. Saints have started to string results together hopefully that continues tonight.  

Whether Jones plays is, imo, based not on his fitness/sharpness but that of Gogic. We know the latter is very much a midfielder, but if he doesn't make the starting line up then it's possible Goodwin shifts Ronan to partner either one of Power or Erhahon. If he does then I think it's very likely Jones on the left as the other person that could have filled the McGrath gap has now joined Thistle on loan. If however Gogic does play, it's likely Ronan will be moved forward and left, while Jones goes to the bench.

[Alnwick]

[Fraser] - [Shaughnessy](c) - [Dunne] - [Tanser]

[Power/Erhahon] - [Gogic/Ronan]

[Henderson] - [Kiltie] - [Ronan/Jones]

[Brophy]

Despite having the 9th best record in the league, our PPG away home from home isn't actually as bad as I thought it might be compared to the rest of the league.

Incidentally, St Mirren are the only team who've been significantly better away than at home, apart from them basically nobody in the bottom 9 is picking up points on the road with any sort of regularity.Screenshot_20220201-115953__01.thumb.jpg.44a1730570704710bcd37276e18d65f0.jpg

5 hours ago, Ric said:

Whether Jones plays is, imo, based not on his fitness/sharpness but that of Gogic. We know the latter is very much a midfielder, but if he doesn't make the starting line up then it's possible Goodwin shifts Ronan to partner either one of Power or Erhahon. If he does then I think it's very likely Jones on the left as the other person that could have filled the McGrath gap has now joined Thistle on loan. If however Gogic does play, it's likely Ronan will be moved forward and left, while Jones goes to the bench.

[Alnwick]

[Fraser] - [Shaughnessy](c) - [Dunne] - [Tanser]

[Power/Erhahon] - [Gogic/Ronan]

[Henderson] - [Kiltie] - [Ronan/Jones]

[Brophy]

How has Dunne been for you guys? In the team because he's playing well or because there's nobody else?

How has Dunne been for you guys? In the team because he's playing well or because there's nobody else?
He was a bit hit or miss at the beginning, but if found a lot of the squad to be when we were playing 3 at the back. Now with the 4 at the back I have to say that the Aberdeen game last week was the strongest I have seen him in the role. Again, just my opinion.

He got back in due to an injury to McCarthy, but he’s done well I’d say.

Remember in his home debut he pinged successive perfect 60 yard cross field passes and I thought - wow, what have we got here!!!

Don’t think one has landed since, but then again, that’s not really his job 🙂

3 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

He got back in due to an injury to McCarthy, but he’s done well I’d say.

Remember in his home debut he pinged successive perfect 60 yard cross field passes and I thought - wow, what have we got here!!!

Don’t think one has landed since, but then again, that’s not really his job 🙂

This my recollection of him also and sort of why I was asking. Liked him as a defender, absolutely rapid and very physical, but looked for that big diag at every opportunity and very rarely did it land. Not a ball-playing centre half!

Work in Govan so rather than head home n back through traffic, we're heading to the bright lights of Paisley for a pre match curry. I'd take any sort of a victory as we've been piss poor lately
The wind in Paisley will be bad enough shirley?

Dunne has done well of late, he was brilliant in the Celtic game at home. That being said I'd still replace him with McCarthy when fit. Dunne is always 5/10 yards behind the rest of the defence and backpedals well before any free kick has been taken. I can't recall it leading to a goal as yet but it is a matter of time before he plays everyone onside. He has a real knack of hitting the deck any time he tries to clear the ball.