Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I genuinely would like to give it a go, but I’m not sure how much time I would be able to dedicate to it. Golf will be taking up a lot of my free time in the coming months and I’ve signed up for the Edinburgh marathon which I really do need to train for, quite urgently infact. I will keep it up my sleeve though, that Greenacres rink in Howwood isn’t too far to travel so I might give it a go again. 

I really like the tactical aspect of curling, I think that’s what I would enjoy the most. Obviously you still need to have the ability to put the stones where you want but I’ve heard it said many times before that rather than it being bowls on ice, it’s more like chess on ice. You sound like you really enjoyed it though and managed to get to a good standard, would be a shame if you didn’t get back to it. 

My cousin has been all around the world playing the game when she was in the GB and Scotland teams with Rhona Martin. I got quite into when she was involved and remember staying up through the night to watch her on Eurosport when she was playing in Canada I think. I do regret not sticking in at it when I was younger, my cousin did try her best to keep me interested but I was only about 11 or 12 and was more interested in playing football.

That is a surprising number of rinks though, especially around the central belt. I thought there might be one or two in this neck of the woods and more further north, although I don’t know why I assumed that. I know the stones are all made from the granite on Ailsa Craig, which is still quite hard to believe. Obviously Ailsa Craig has a finite supply of granite, how long until it becomes the size of a house brick floating in the Irish Sea? 

This point was made in commentary during one of the round robin games but curling and golf are pretty much perfect sports to play in tandem with one another (half of the British team are keen golfers including Eve) because the seasons run pretty much opposite to one another. There are curling clubs in both Scotland and Canada that are loosely affiliated with the golf club of the same town.

The golf season pretty much runs from Easter to September/October and curling through the winter so it makes a lot of sense. They’re also both very social games that are relatively easy to pick up as a beginner but ridiculously hard to master to world class standard. 

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This point was made in commentary during one of the round robin games but curling and golf are pretty much perfect sports to play in tandem with one another (half of the British team are keen golfers including Eve) because the seasons run pretty much opposite to one another. There are curling clubs in both Scotland and Canada that are loosely affiliated with the golf club of the same town.

The golf season pretty much runs from Easter to September/October and curling through the winter so it makes a lot of sense. They’re also both very social games that are relatively easy to pick up as a beginner but ridiculously hard to master to world class standard. 

This is what I do.....golf from April to October then curling through the winter (even managed to add Ironman training a few years ago)

I am sure Eve was playing off scratch a few years ago......she did a few stints commentating on golf when radio Scotland covered the Scottish Open - remember seeing her at Royal Aberdeen in 2014.

Got a couple of curling matches this week and really looking forward to them.

Genuine question - Was Team GB competing as Great Britain or Great Britain and Northern Ireland ? (as in summer Olympics) I dont think I heard one commentator state the latter and recall many references to GB and NI during the summer - mostly by Andrew Cotter to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

This is what I do.....golf from April to October then curling through the winter (even managed to add Ironman training a few years ago)

I am sure Eve was playing off scratch a few years ago......she did a few stints commentating on golf when radio Scotland covered the Scottish Open

I've known a few people who were decent level curlers and golfers. To go all Mikey Stewart for a moment is there a biomechanical reason for that?

5 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I've known a few people who were decent level curlers and golfers. To go all Mikey Stewart for a moment is there a biomechanical reason for that?

I was thinking that myself there, but im not sure there is. Both could be described as ‘hand-eye coordinated’ sports, but curling seems to be more to do with touch and feel and possibly muscle memory, whereas golf is a more explosive action that needs timing and tempo, possibly using muscle memory as well tbf. 

Ultimately I find that some people are just naturally talented at whatever sport they try and others just aren’t (I sadly fall into the latter category). If you have a group of 100 people who golf in the summer and curl in the winter I’d roughly expect the same usual suspects to be near the top of the leaderboard in both. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Ultimately I find that some people are just naturally talented at whatever sport they try and others just aren’t (I sadly fall into the latter category). If you have a group of 100 people who golf in the summer and curl in the winter I’d roughly expect the same usual suspects to be near the top of the leaderboard in both. 

That’s very true. I’ve been attempting to play golf since I was about 11 years old, and 20 years later I’m a 16 handicapper. About this time last year I badgered my pal to go and get some golf lessons so we could join a club together, which he duly did and started to really enjoy the game. It was a bit disheartening for myself though, that after about 7 months of playing the game he ended the season with a lower handicap than me, and his best score round our course is 5 shots better than my best score :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Genuine question - Was Team GB competing as Great Britain or Great Britain and Northern Ireland ? (as in summer Olympics) I dont think I heard one commentator state the latter and recall many references to GB and NI during the summer - mostly by Andrew Cotter to be honest.

Yes they are always a UK team however they don't want to call themselves that for marketing reasons.

They claim that UK would be inaccurate, missing the point that it's more accurate, because you can be from say Gibraltar and play for the UK team.

So really it would be Team United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and Crown Dependencies.

But yes I think it annoys Irish Unionists and there was some chat I'm sure about changing it to show they matter.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Ultimately I find that some people are just naturally talented at whatever sport they try and others just aren’t (I sadly fall into the latter category). 

Yes me too. My old man played regularly when I was at school and I remember accompanying him once but I was like Bambi on ice and scared shitless of falling.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Why is this important? How has Muirhead displayed her unionism?

She said in an interview that playing for the whole of GB was more special than playing for just Scotland.

The reason it matters is so many English are saying the team all love playing for Britain, and I was just wondering if anyone knew their views on Indy and representing Britain once every 4 years.

Not only is Eve a very keen golfer, she's also very good at it. IIRC she haa a 3 or 4 handicap. She's been an on course reporter for Radio 5 Live a couple of times during Open coverage.

32 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Not only is Eve a very keen golfer, she's also very good at it. IIRC she haa a 3 or 4 handicap. She's been an on course reporter for Radio 5 Live a couple of times during Open coverage.

Yeah I think I recall seeing her walking the course at an Open a few years ago. 

I think someone else mentioned it but I'm sure she was a scratch golfer before having to play less due to her curling commitments. 

She does a weekly column for the Courier newspaper and quite often comments about golf.