St Johnstone vs Dundee United - 5 February 2022

Seems to be the feeling amongst Saints fans that we're on the road to recovery and some are even looking up the table at who we can catch.

Far too early for that. The win at Livi was great, but on another night we draw or lose that, despite how much improved we looked.

Still in the dogfight, and absolutely vital we build on that result or we're back to square one, especially as either Dundee or County will be picking up point(s) this weekend. Going to take a few results in a row before we can talk about being being 'fixed'.

Always enjoy games at home to Utd, usually draws a decent support from both sets of fans.

Niskanen was the most dangerous player on the park when he came on at Tannadice in our 1-0 win, him up against Brown and Cleary especially would be a concern.

I think our starting line up will be much the same as Tuesday, with Mahon in for Gordon.

34 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Seems to be the feeling amongst Saints fans that we're on the road to recovery and some are even looking up the table at who we can catch.

Far too early for that. The win at Livi was great, but on another night we draw or lose that, despite how much improved we looked.

Still in the dogfight, and absolutely vital we build on that result or we're back to square one, especially as either Dundee or County will be picking up point(s) this weekend. Going to take a few results in a row before we can talk about being being 'fixed'.

Always enjoy games at home to Utd, usually draws a decent support from both sets of fans.

Niskanen was the most dangerous player on the park when he came on at Tannadice in our 1-0 win, him up against Brown and Cleary especially would be a concern.

I think our starting line up will be much the same as Tuesday, with Mahon in for Gordon.

Take it Gordon is actually suspended then? Seen a couple of people saying he’s not

You wonder if these a question mark over Gordons place in the team regardless tbh, hes certaintly not as untouchable as he was previously.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Don't worry Niskanen has chucked it 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wonder if these a question mark over Gordons place in the team regardless tbh, hes certaintly not as untouchable as he was previously.

I agree. Gordon is a very good player but Mahon already looks like rock in the centre of the back three..Of course it's too early to tell but he looks like he could potentially be our best defender and first pick.As I speculated on another thread it may be that Gordon will eventually fill the right centre Roll with Cleary replacing McCart on the left..

Edited by Lang Toon Saintee

5 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

As I speculated on another thread it may be that Gordon will eventually fill the right centre Roll with Cleary replacing McCart on the left..

I'm not sure if Gordon would offer enough going forward for that to work? Can't really remember seeing him rampaging up the park to know either way though tbf.

But aye, everything about Mahon suggests he'll be starting sooner rather than later. Clearys attacking work probably means you have to start him because nobody else has that.

Ultimately the back 3 will be Mahon, Cleary and Gordon. I see McCart being phased out on the assumption his is away and has been rank all season.

I see Cleary very much a replacement for Kerr and Mahon the replacement for McCart.

On the Utd game, I think despite him being rank in every other way, the goal from Crawford will see him starting. I suspect Davidson will go with the same stating 11. 

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Ultimately the back 3 will be Mahon, Cleary and Gordon. I see McCart being phased out on the assumption his is away and has been rank all season.

I see Cleary very much a replacement for Kerr and Mahon the replacement for McCart.

Agree with this.

9 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

On the Utd game, I think despite him being rank in every other way, the goal from Crawford will see him starting. I suspect Davidson will go with the same stating 11. 

But not convinced about this. 

Who, if anyone, is back from injury?

11 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Mahon.looks far more like the central  keystone of a back three and from what I've read about him Cleary is at his best on the left..

Cleary was good on the left because he could cut into the middle of the park for Dundalk, we play a different way so he'd end up just congesting it in there, to me.

We need a RCB who can virtually play as a RB and get up the park, hes our best option there. If we remove him then we'll just be back to pre-January problems of having nobody supporting Hallberg/RWB. Maybe be less of an issue if Sang can dominate the entire flank but we don't know either way yet.

Interesting reading all the remarks raving about Mahon from the other night. He looked physically strong and certainly dominant in the air, but I thought he looked a bit slow and cumbersome when defending on the deck.

Too early to say either way really, and it's bound to take a bit of time for him to settle.

11 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Interesting reading all the remarks raving about Mahon from the other night. He looked physically strong and certainly dominant in the air, but I thought he looked a bit slow and cumbersome when defending on the deck.

He’s Liam Gordon then?

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cleary was good on the left because he could cut into the middle of the park for Dundalk, we play a different way so he'd end up just congesting it in there, to me.

We need a RCB who can virtually play as a RB and get up the park, hes our best option there. If we remove him then we'll just be back to pre-January problems of having nobody supporting Hallberg/RWB. Maybe be less of an issue if Sang can dominate the entire flank but we don't know either way yet.

Agree with this, he's very effective on that side and can't see him switching, especially if we play Brown as RWB which I expect we will tomorrow as he's probably most 'trusted' by CD against Watt ... would like to see Sang get some time though. We've got good options across the back line now for defensive and attacking setups, and assuming Galllacher and Sang are both more likely to get up the park effectively than Brown or Booth we can switch it up quite a bit. Encouraging. 

Middleton made impact and his hunger was impressive, but thought it noticable how he really needs an over/underlapping CB working with him, and again best off the bench so I'd expect May will start until Cifti, Kand and/or Bair are up to speed/fit. 

Fairly certain that we'll see The Bair and Sang at some point in this one. Think it might be something along these lines, although can see Crawford starting behind the front 2 and Hallberg in the Davidson position, would not be surprised to see Gilmour instead of Murray either. Decent options everywhere except up front but we've got 4 players injured or with no game time yet. 

Clark

Brown Cleary Gordon Mahon Booth

Davidson Butterfield

Hallberg

Hendry    May

Actually looking forward to a home game for the first time in a while. Feels strange. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Too early to say either way really, and it's bound to take a bit of time for him to settle.

This. 

7 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

He’s Liam Gordon then?

I'll fucking hunt you down.

I’d like to see Sang come in for this one if he’s fit and ready. Crawford scored the winner but his overall performance was poor midweek - so many attacking moves broke down with him making slack passes or being totally unaware that a team mate was playing a pass to him. It will depend on who is available, however. Someone else suggested playing May in the Crawford role which I think actually isn’t a bad idea. Bair will presumably be an impact sub this weekend, while Hendry is a certain starter.

Clark

Cleary Gordon Mahon

Sang Hallberg Butterfield Booth

Crawford (assuming there’s nobody else fit)

May Hendry