Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

Source

Issued jointly by the football associations of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland.

Following an extensive feasibility study, which assessed the potential opportunities in international football, the football associations of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland have agreed to focus on a bid to host UEFA EURO 2028, the third largest sports event in the world. 

The feasibility study included an analysis of the economic impact, the political football landscape and likely costs of hosting major international tournaments. On balance, the five associations have decided to focus solely on an official bid to host UEFA EURO 2028, and have agreed not to bid for the 2030 FIFA World Cup. Hosting a UEFA EURO offers a similar return on investment, with the European tournament carrying a far lower delivery cost and the potential of the benefits being realised sooner. 

It would be an honour and a privilege to collectively host UEFA EURO 2028 and to welcome all of Europe. It would also be a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate the true impact of hosting a world- class football tournament by driving positive change and leaving a lasting legacy across our communities. 

We believe the UK and the Republic of Ireland can offer UEFA and European football something special in 2028  a compact and unique five-way hosting collaboration that will provide a great experience for the teams and the fans. 

We continue to collaborate with our Government Partners of the UK and Ireland about the next steps.

17 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If it means money becomes available to redevelop Hampden then I'm all for it.

The Sky article suggests there's discussions about it becoming a 32 team tournament which seems an awful idea when there's 55 UEFA members.

If we're gonna have a 32 team tournament we may as well just make it a fucking knock out tournament to be played out every fourth summer. 

32 would be much better than 24, get rid of all that best third place waiting around nonsense.

Would do it by merging Nations League, World Cup qualifying Euros Qualifying. Top teams qualify for finals of all three, next best qualify for World Cup and Euros, next best qualify for Euros. That would ensure that qualifying remained competitive for all teams.

Despite that, would rather England just bid for a World Cup and Scotland, Wales and Ireland went for a Euros.

I don’t actually mind a 32 team euros. 24 is an awful format so I’d rather they just chuck away any semblance of qualifying being an achievement and move to a workable 32 team format.

8 stadiums in England (London cluster Wembley and London stadium, North West cluster Old Trafford and Anfield, North East cluster Stadium of Light and St James’s Park, Midlands cluster Villa Park and King Power Stadium)

2 in Scotland (Hampden in Glasgow, Murrayfield in Edinburgh)

2 in Wales (Principality in Cardiff, Liberty in Swansea)

2 in NI (Windsor Park in Belfast, Celtic Park in Derry)

2 in ROI (Aviva in Dublin, Parc Ui Chaomh Cork)

Each cluster hosts one group.

The larger stadium in each cluster hosts a last-16 game.

QFs in London, Manchester, Belfast, Dublin

SFs Glasgow and Cardiff

Final at Wembley 

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I’d be shocked if the semis and finals are not all played at Wembley 

It depends whether it’s a genuine joint bid like Korea/Japan 2002 or every european championship of the 21st Century apart from 2004/2016, or something more like the 1999 and 2007 rugby world cups where you had one main host country (England in this case) with just a handful of games being held elsewhere. 

59 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s a big no for me to be honest 

I genuinely think it would be used as pro union propaganda and I also don’t like the association with English fans who have shown time and time again they can’t be trusted. 

It would be an attempt at pro union propaganda, which is most likely why it's most likely not just an English bid, but that attempt will inevitably fail given the tribalism of football. It also means we can get money to redevelop Hampden and likely a few other similar benefits.

In terms of the association with the English fans, I don't see how that would happen.

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It hasn't happened before, why would it start now?

Because it will be seen as a British and Irish tournament 

As you said you’ll probably see pro union propaganda to try and reinforce that we one nation, one people 

Edit: I don’t see it being marketed as a 5 nation bid either 

Edited by Clown Job