Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

19 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would expect England to have four groups and the other Home Nations to have one each, so Scotland would avoid the Celtic/Rangers debate by having neither and playing matches at Hampden/Murrayfield.

f**k knows where the two Northern Irish grounds are coming from, though.

I'd be pleasantly amazed if half the games got given to Glasgow/Cardiff/Dublin/Belfast/etc. If you're looking at 32-team tournament with 8 groups a fifth or a quarter might be more realistic?

Heaps of English regions/cities/stadiums have a case... 4x London, 2x Manchester, 2x Liverpool, Newcastle, Sunderland, Birmingham (Villa), Sheffield (Wed), Leeds, Nottingham, Southampton, Bristol. Their previous WC bids also included places like Stamford Bridge and Coventry, Derby, Leicester, Middlesborough, Milton Keynes, Plymouth which granted would be out of the picture now.

Look at WC 2026 where you've got USA providing 12 (although 17 are proposed)... Mexico providing 3... Canada providing 2.

If had to provide say 16 to 20 stadiums overall I'd guess 4 or 5 being Hampden, Millennium Stadium, Lansdowne Road and some combination of Murrayfield/Casement Park/Pairc ui Chaoimh.

I'm still unconvinced they'll all be allowed to qualify automatically either.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 12/02/2022 at 23:14, Bully Wee Villa said:

Those four London grounds would have been on a preliminary list and whittled down to two if they'd won. You could have maximum of two grounds in a city so one of Celtic or Rangers would have to go, as would one of Hearts or Hibs if Murrayfield is involved. I imagine England would only have London as a two ground city meaning Man City and Everton miss out as Old Trafford and Anfield are more iconic.

Anfield is (reportedly) a problem when it comes to non-Liverpool games/events due to the ban on Sun journalists. 

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm still unconvinced they'll all be allowed to qualify automatically either.

If it was two hosts I could see them offering it, but anything more than that and it'd be a bit of a piss-take to the other members.  I'd like to see them send one host and have some kind of mini-tournament to decide who, but that's likely not going to be realistic given the already packed calendar.  Most likely is probably that England get the automatic spot and the rest just have to hope they get there too.

On 13/02/2022 at 09:19, craigkillie said:

The Qatar World Cup has 3 stadiums in Al-Rayyan and 2 in Doha. Ultimately where the stadiums are and how many are in each city is utterly irrelevant, what matters is the political wrangling in the background.

Getting these Euros will be a quid pro quo for the UK pulling out of the 2030 World Cup process to give Argentina/Uruguay a clear run at it - this is part of the UEFA/CONMEBOL cooperation which will also be an attempt to kibosh the FIFA plans for a World Cup every two years.

So at least some good is coming out of this then.

On 14/02/2022 at 09:35, The Master said:

Anfield is (reportedly) a problem when it comes to non-Liverpool games/events due to the ban on Sun journalists. 

Liverpool would cease control of Anfield for the tournament so that wouldn't be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see if they try and at least somewhat equal up the nations as much as possible but if it's essentially an England bid with a compensatory stadium in each of the other nations it'd be a massive anti-climax.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

It'll be interesting to see if they try and at least somewhat equal up the nations as much as possible but if it's essentially an England bid with a compensatory stadium in each of the other nations it'd be a massive anti-climax.

One nations being more equal than the others is how the UK works

The Daily Mail (I know, I know) say Hampden, Wembley, Tottenham, Cardiff and the Aviva are confirmed with 13 other stadiums in contention including Murrayfield.

22fceeda80ad9bbf62c3139263273c04.jpg

Probably end up with something like:

Group A - Wembley and Tottenham

Group B - Dublin and Belfast

Group C - Manchester and Liverpool

Group D - Glasgow and Edinburgh

Group E - Newcastle and Leeds

Group F - Cardiff and Birmingham

Last 16: Tottenham, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool 

QFs: Wembley, Cardiff, Manchester and Newcastle

Semi’s: Glasgow and Dublin

Final: Wembley

5 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The Daily Mail (I know, I know) say Hampden, Wembley, Tottenham, Cardiff and the Aviva are confirmed with 13 other stadiums in contention including Murrayfield.

22fceeda80ad9bbf62c3139263273c04.jpg

Northern Ireland as an official host with no venue would be quite something.

Northern Ireland as an official host with no venue would be quite something.

The Mail article mentioned Windsor Park being extended to 25k in the hope that UEFA would waive their usual 30k requirement.

Casement Park in Belfast is also being redeveloped to hold 30k+ although that’s a Gaelic ground.

It’s hard to see UEFA agreeing to giving an automatic qualification place to a “host” with no compliant stadia, especially when 3 other countries will be getting in with only 1 or 2 venues.