Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

You don’t think we should host with them because their fans are arseholes and might ruin our reputation?

Hosting with England is our best hope of hosting a tournament. In fact it’s probably our only hope unless they do another pan-European one. There’s no way that a Celtic bid would have legs in a 24/32 team era, and the only other option would be a Nordic bid but I’d be surprised if we were even invited to join that. 

• 2 weeks later...

See SFA have nominated Hampden as part of Euro 2028. Hoped we would have at least had 2 stadiums and had Murrayfield as other ground.  Minimum for the bid is 10 stadiums in total. Hopefully if they do increase to 32 teams they will allow more stadiums. We are probably hampered by Republic of Irelands 2 stadiums in Dublin and likewise Wales both in Cardiff and a likely reluctance outside of maybe London to use 2 stadiums in same city (unless they expand Swansea instead). 

The SFA statement suggested to me that Hampden was definitely in during the first phase of selections, but that there would be a further selection process later on. I assumed further Scottish venues might be part of that conversation.

The SFA statement suggested to me that Hampden was definitely in during the first phase of selections, but that there would be a further selection process later on. I assumed further Scottish venues might be part of that conversation.

I think the Daily Mail were reporting a few weeks ago that a some key stadiums (Hampden, Wembley, Principality, Aviva, maybe others) would be guaranteed and others would be confirmed later.

Clearly today was appointed for coordinated announcements... as the FA has opened a "host city and stadia selection process"; the IFA has put forward no stadium, but has said it "continues to explore stadia development options"; the SFA has put forward Hampden; the FAW has put forward Millennium but has added "we don’t have any other live conversations about other stadia in Wales".

Still appears ambiguous as to whether that means Hampden alone up here: although some papers are reporting it as such.

They won't use Parkhead but not Ibrox (or vice versa); using both plus Hampden isn't realistic; so it was only ever Hampden or Hampden+Murrayfield tbh.

It was claimed in February that SFA didn't want to use Murrayfield.

I'd like to think Edinburgh and therefore Murrayfield will be included. It's the capital, a major city and major stadium by UK standards and any sense of not wanting to aid a rival sport hasn't transpired in Cardiff or possibly Dublin.

Murrayfield featured in Euro 2008 bid and has hosted a LC SF; whilst Hampden has hosted rugby internationals including during RWC 99.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Should be Celtic, Hampden, Murrayfield and a new Aberdeen stadium that is actually in Aberdeen as opposed to that crazy idea they had to build one eighty miles away, IMO.

Two in Cardiff, one in Swansea and a temporary stand in Wrexham.

Two in Dublin, a Cork and one somewhere else in Ireland.

None in Northern Ireland, cos,  without wishing to stereotype, they're mental.

That can be groups A-D. Groups E-H in England (a matching 12 stadiums wouldn't be difficult to achieve) with the final being held in the middle of the country in beautiful Aston rather than that silly London.

I'd be tempted to stick a Gibraltar ground in too because having them as automatic qualifiers would be funny.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Should be Celtic, Hampden, Murrayfield and a new Aberdeen stadium that is actually in Aberdeen as opposed to that crazy idea they had to build one eighty miles away, IMO.
Two in Cardiff, one in Swansea and a temporary stand in Wrexham.
Two in Dublin, a Cork and one somewhere else in Ireland.
None in Northern Ireland, cos,  without wishing to stereotype, they're mental.
That can be groups A-D. Groups E-H in England (a matching 12 stadiums wouldn't be difficult to achieve) with the final being held in the middle of the country in beautiful Aston rather than that silly London.
I'd be tempted to stick a Gibraltar ground in too because having them as automatic qualifiers would be funny.

The stadium in Swansea only holds about 20,000 which seems a bit small for this kind of thing.

The only smaller venue in the history of the Euros was Norkoping in Sweden ‘92

Is there any chance of them building an actual football stadium in Edinburgh that could be used? Personally I think Murrayfield should be used but as a country we are severely lacking in stadia in the 35000-40000 capacity bracket that would be absolutely perfect for a Hearts/Hibs ground share, cup semi finals (when the OF not involved) and some Scotland games. 

I don't know, I'm not really a fan of groundsharing and, if you look at countries where it is much more common, such as Italy, clubs seem to increasingly be moving away from them.

I think the only way a club outside the gruesome twosome in Scotland would be able to fill a 35-40,000 capacity stadium regularly would be some PSG/Newcastle style takeover by someone with infinity cash to make them challenge for the title.

I think a new Aberdeen ground holding 20-25,000 with some sort of temporary seating to build it up to 40,000 just for the tournament would be the way to go, with Murrayfield as the Edinburgh choice.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't know, I'm not really a fan of groundsharing and, if you look at countries where it is much more common, such as Italy, clubs seem to increasingly be moving away from them.

I think the only way a club outside the gruesome twosome in Scotland would be able to fill a 35-40,000 capacity stadium regularly would be some PSG/Newcastle style takeover by someone with infinity cash to make them challenge for the title.

I think a new Aberdeen ground holding 20-25,000 with some sort of temporary seating to build it up to 40,000 just for the tournament would be the way to go, with Murrayfield as the Edinburgh choice.

I’m not necessarily saying that they would *need* to ground share (and in fact, I think that part is highly unlikely because both clubs have invested in Tynecastle/Easter Road in recent years), but I do think Scotland really needs a stadium to bridge the gap between the 50k+ seaters (Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Hampden and Ibrox) and the 20k seaters (Pittodrie, Easter Road and Tynecastle)

This stadium should be in the central belt, because it’s main use would be for cup semi finals that don’t involve the old firm. Too often just now, the SFA has to choose between playing in a half empty hampden with no atmosphere, or playing at an Easter Road type ground and having some fans miss out on the opportunity to attend. A lot of Scotland games would also be better placed in a stadium of this size. I think Edinburgh would be an ideal location for it given the benefits in having stadiums outside of Glasgow involved in this bid. 

I can't see any more than 12 grounds being used overall if up to 32 teams. I just hope that it is at least balanced so England get half the stadiums and rest of us make other half.

London - Wembley, Tottenham,

Liverpool - Anfield,

Manchester - Old Trafford,

Newcastle - St James,

Then 1 other probably Villa Park or Elland Road

Glasgow - Hampden,

Edinburgh - Murrayfield

Dublin - Croke Park and Aviva

Cardiff - Millenium

1 other - Probably a stadium in Belfast, Cardiff city if they don't want to spend any money or Swansea to spread it out a bit. 

I not sure why England not going it alone from FA point of view I get the politics why UK government may want it. Given Germany is hosting 2024 on the above you could add Sunderland, Emirates / Olympic stadium, Hillsborough, Southampton, MK

I can't see any more than 12 grounds being used overall if up to 32 teams. I just hope that it is at least balanced so England get half the stadiums and rest of us make other half.

London - Wembley, Tottenham,
Liverpool - Anfield,
Manchester - Old Trafford,
Newcastle - St James,
Then 1 other probably Villa Park or Elland Road
Glasgow - Hampden,
Edinburgh - Murrayfield
Dublin - Croke Park and Aviva
Cardiff - Millenium
1 other - Probably a stadium in Belfast, Cardiff city if they don't want to spend any money or Swansea to spread it out a bit. 

I not sure why England not going it alone from FA point of view I get the politics why UK government may want it. Given Germany is hosting 2024 on the above you could add Sunderland, Emirates / Olympic stadium, Hillsborough, Southampton, MK

For that matter if you’re including Murrayfield and Croke Park then you may as well add Twickenham (82,000) to your list of candidates

I’m not necessarily saying that they would *need* to ground share (and in fact, I think that part is highly unlikely because both clubs have invested in Tynecastle/Easter Road in recent years), but I do think Scotland really needs a stadium to bridge the gap between the 50k+ seaters (Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Hampden and Ibrox) and the 20k seaters (Pittodrie, Easter Road and Tynecastle)

This stadium should be in the central belt, because it’s main use would be for cup semi finals that don’t involve the old firm. Too often just now, the SFA has to choose between playing in a half empty hampden with no atmosphere, or playing at an Easter Road type ground and having some fans miss out on the opportunity to attend. A lot of Scotland games would also be better placed in a stadium of this size. I think Edinburgh would be an ideal location for it given the benefits in having stadiums outside of Glasgow involved in this bid. 

The SFA own Hampden now, I doubt they're ever going to rent out other grounds when they don't need to.

48 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

For that matter if you’re including Murrayfield and Croke Park then you may as well add Twickenham (82,000) to your list of candidates

I think Twickenham has long said they would never host football matches, whereas the other two have done so in the past. In any case there is no shortage of big grounds in and around London so it wouldn't be needed.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

No point in using Twickenham when there are three 60,000 seaters in London in Tottenham stadium, the Emirates and the London stadium, plus plans to expand Stamford Bridge to 60,000 as well.

Croke Park would only be used because there’s only one large football stadium in Ireland, and likewise Murrayfield would only be used in order to shoehorn Edinburgh in as a host city.

The other thing to note is that Tottenham/Arsenal/West Ham all play in North London or East London whereas Twickenham is in West London close to Wembley. I’d think if the bid was to have two stadia in London they’d go with one on each side (Wembley and probably the London stadium)

I'm sure I heard Twickenham a bit of chore to get to and not very good transport links compared to other London Stadium Given that FA and league cup finals were not staged there while Wembley was being rebuilt. 

Say it was to become a 32 team euros with 12 more matches  not sure too many of the larger stadiums  e.g. 80k required. Say the likes of Finland v Albania might be a challenge to fill a larger stadium especially as there is so many games in the tournament unless the ticket are cheap which they won't be.  

London is the same way as Moscow in 2018 is large enough they can probably justify 2 stadiums, Dublin I suspect it may be harder though if we get to stage where Both Irelands and Wales only get a stadium each then I worry Scotland will just fall in line and it becoming 8-4 split in England's favour and just 1 host spot awarded.  SRU and Edinburgh City Council really should be proactive put a bit of pressure to do what they can to publicly promote it as a candidate host. 

26 minutes ago, grazza said:

I'm sure I heard Twickenham a bit of chore to get to and not very good transport links compared to other London Stadium Given that FA and league cup finals were not staged there while Wembley was being rebuilt. 

I saw the All Blacks there and it's pretty shit for transport into town compared to Murrayfield but better than Hampden which might as well be on fucking mars

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)