Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

12 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I can read yes. I must have missed the part where it was explained why the UK taxpayer is funding the stadium costs of the Irish sports organisation the Gaelic Athletic Association, which is based in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

Here it is: Because it’s being built in the UK and will be used by UK residents multiple times a year. 

17 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I can read yes. I must have missed the part where it was explained why the UK taxpayer is funding the stadium costs of the Irish sports organisation the Gaelic Athletic Association, which is based in Dublin, Republic of Ireland.

You not liking the reasons doesn’t mean they’re wrong. 

No surprise that the Dublin resident and the Celtic fan want the UK taxpayers to put their hands in their pockets for some Irish sports mob.

The Irish sports organisation known as the GAA (based in Dublin, Republic of Ireland) should stop being bindippers and finance their own stadiums.

Edited by Jives Miguel

14 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

No surprise that the Dublin resident and the Celtic fan want the UK taxpayers to put their hands in their pockets for some Irish sports mob.

The Irish sports organisation known as the GAA (based in Dublin, Republic of Ireland) should stop being bindippers and finance their own stadiums.

Presumably the Dublin resident has a much better idea of how big GAA is in large parts of Northern Ireland than you.

30 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

We’ve just pointed out facts. 

41 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Technically the Six nations and the IRB are based in Dublin as well and the ICC is in Dubai. 

The Ulster GAA, whose ground this would be, are based in Armagh which is in the UK whether they like the idea or not 

The idea that it should be getting some funding from the UK government shouldn't be too controversial

The idea that they can expect a blank cheque and want to spend 10,000 per seat however is just taking the piss, that's more expensive than the new Everton ground

Ideally the Euros will come to Edinburgh and the Ulster GAA will be left with an unspectacular, affordable but adequate Falkirk style three sided ground that provides enough space for Ireland to stage Cricket Test matches as Northern Irish Cricket seems to have been ignored in this funding.

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Technically the Six nations and the IRB are based in Dublin as well and the ICC is in Dubai. 

The Ulster GAA, whose ground this would be, are based in Armagh which is in the UK whether they like the idea or not 

The idea that it should be getting some funding from the UK government shouldn't be too controversial

The idea that they can expect a blank cheque and want to spend 10,000 per seat however is just taking the piss, that's more expensive than the new Everton ground

Ideally the Euros will come to Edinburgh and the Ulster GAA will be left with an unspectacular, affordable but adequate Falkirk style three sided ground that provides enough space for Ireland to stage Cricket Test matches as Northern Irish Cricket seems to have been ignored in this funding.

Antrim GAA to be pedantic. 

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

must have missed the part where I said "I want"...............could you direct me to it please?

26 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

TBQHWY - I'm a bit fucked off that my taxpayer money is being spent on British infrastructure, for British citizens.

British infrastructure installed at the behest of an Irish organization, to be owned/used primarily by an Irish organisation based in Dublin, used in an Irish sporting competition to further the interests of said Irish sport. This seems to be quite clearly more beneficial to Irish taxpayers than it is to the UK taxpayers tbh, who have little more than a passing interest in this sport.

Please tell the bindipping GAA to stop expecting UK taxpayers to fund their domestic sport. The UK already does enough for Irish sport by birthing and developing most of its national football team players, this is too much.

25 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

British infrastructure installed at the behest of an Irish organization, to be owned/used primarily by an Irish organisation based in Dublin, used in an Irish sporting competition to further the interests of said Irish sport. This seems to be quite clearly more beneficial to Irish taxpayers than it is to the UK taxpayers tbh, who have little more than a passing interest in this sport.

Please tell the bindipping GAA to stop expecting UK taxpayers to fund their domestic sport. The UK already does enough for Irish sport by birthing and developing most of its national football team players, this is too much.

You have a real issue with Ireland don’t you. 

10 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

You have a real issue with Ireland don’t you. 

No I don't believe that I do actually. I don't appreciate your insinuations that I'm bigoted. 

What I have an issue with is carrying the can for the GAA. Still to hear any rational explanation as to why I and other UK taxpayers are funding the GAA - a sport organisation based in Dublin, Ireland - new stadium instead of the GAA itself.

ca981db43e30beb7c7bfb906bb5e9292.jpg

Over a decade ago the Northern Ireland Executive approved £138m to be spent on stadia redevelopment... football and GAA both received £61m, and rugby got £15m. This was principally to modernise spectator facilities.

Football earmarked £25m to rebuild 2 stands at Windsor Park, topped up with £4m of their own cash, and £36m to redevelop facilities across the rest of Ulster football. During the rebuild the foundations of the existing end stand failed - so it had to be rebuilt too, with an additional £6m from the pot plus the insurance money. Windsor Park is now 19,000 all-seater with 3 new stands (the far side stand is c40yrs old).

Rugby earmarked all their £15m to rebuild 3 stands at Ravenhill - having already done the main stand for £5m with their own cash just a couple of years prior. Ravenhill now holds 18,000 - half seated and all covered.

GAA earmarked all their £61m to demolish and wholly rebuild Casement Park. Following planning disputes and other delays little has happened. Capacity has fallen from 40,000 to 34,500 and now 30,000 while costs have risen from £78m to £308m... that's £10k-per-seat, amongst most expensive in European history! GAA won't go beyond £15m of own cash. Eire taxpayers are contributing £43m.

It's clearly proper GAA should receive their £61m (now actually £63m), and probably some more in the circumstances.

It's quite clearly improper they should receive £187m more from UK taxpayers, as that is a gargantuan sum of money at a time of pressured public finances, and also vastly more than the other sports and the communities they represent have received. Doing so just to stage 3 games at Euro 2028 - which it would miss anyway if there was much delay during construction* - would be even more bizarre, especially as Northern Ireland are the least likely hosts to qualify. (*GAA have already conceded that even if work started imminently it wouldn't be ready for May 2027 i.e. you're talking just a few months leeway left before a brick has been laid).

At this stage rebuilding the stadium more cheaply, on a somewhat reduced scale and a less compressed timetable, looks far more sensible - and reassign the Euro games to say Murrayfield or Sunderland.

Edited by HibeeJibee

56 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

No I don't believe that I do actually. I don't appreciate your insinuations that I'm bigoted. 

What I have an issue with is carrying the can for the GAA. Still to hear any rational explanation as to why I and other UK taxpayers are funding the GAA - a sport organisation based in Dublin, Ireland - new stadium instead of the GAA itself.

Me pointing out that you’ve been slagging Ireland and the GAA all day isn’t insinuating you’re a bigot.

The stadium is in Belfast btw so stop going on and on about Dublin, it’s not relevant. 

Just now, The Golden God said:

Me pointing out that you’ve been slagging Ireland and the GAA all day isn’t insinuating you’re a bigot.

The stadium is in Belfast btw so stop going on and on about Dublin, it’s not relevant. 

That's exactly what it is. You're trying to accuse me of having an anti-Irish agenda, in the most cowardly way possible. Haven't slagged anything to do with Ireland the nation or its people btw, other than a cheapshot at their Irish grannies national team. Making stuff up doesn't help your narrative. 

You seem like a typical Celtic fan NPC. Must defend anything related to Ireland. Anyone has a problem with anything Ireland is a bigot. Tiresome people.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

That's exactly what it is. You're trying to accuse me of having an anti-Irish agenda, in the most cowardly way possible. Haven't slagged anything to do with Ireland the nation or its people btw, other than a cheapshot at their Irish grannies national team. Making stuff up doesn't help your narrative. 

You seem like a typical Celtic fan NPC. Must defend anything related to Ireland. Anyone has a problem with anything Ireland is a bigot. Tiresome people.

You’ve brought up where someone lives and the team someone supports to an argument about a stadium in a different country. 

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

At this stage rebuilding the stadium more cheaply, on a somewhat reduced scale and a less compressed timetable, looks far more sensible - and reassign the Euro games to say Murrayfield or Sunderland.

I’d say it’s much more likely that they’d award Belfast’s games to existing host stadiums unfortunately. Any other stadiums would need adaptations made to meet UEFA specifications and are unlikely to be sitting empty ready to go for the period required.