Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Millennium that Wales stopped using for football years ago because it wasn't suitable for them?

Wales will still use it if they reckon there’s going to be a big demand for tickets. The last time was when 50,000 saw Spain beat them five years ago 

13,700 turned out at Cardiff City’s ground for their last game against South Korea

With Balemania having passed it might be a while before they use the big one again 

I’m Scotland the demand for International Rugby is bigger than football but not by anywhere near the margin it is in Wales

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Wales will still use it if they reckon there’s going to be a big demand for tickets. The last time was when 50,000 saw Spain beat them five years ago 

13,700 turned out at Cardiff City’s ground for their last game against South Korea

With Balemania having passed it might be a while before they use the big one again 

I’m Scotland the demand for International Rugby is bigger than football but not by anywhere near the margin it is in Wales

Not any longer. They could easily have had their World Cup play-offs at the Millenium but choose not to because they prefer playing at whatever Cardiff City’s ground is called. 

17 hours ago, Donathan said:

What a pile of absolute nonsense. 55% of the games are in England, in a country which represents 75% of the total population of the UK and Ireland combined.

Besides, wishing another event that could kill hundreds of thousands is not millions of people is an absolutely scummy response to this.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the poster you replied to did not literally want another pandemic to start but was using it as a humorous example of how much they dislike this 2028 announcement.

The English FA have (rightly) spotted a chance to have another home semi and final if their team get that far, only 7 years after Euro 2020/21 - to maximise their chances of winning a first trophy in 60 years (and no doubt generate lots of cash for the FA, the government and their pals).  The other nations will get a a QF each, probably - with our handful of games at a crumbling Hampden with no investment, which everyone hates as a fan experience.  The bid benefits England far more than anyone else.  And then there's this announcement - just f*ck off.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The Millennium that Wales stopped using for football years ago because it wasn't suitable for them?

They stopped using it (as far as I'm aware) because they were getting crap crowds so went with a smaller venue.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Not any longer. They could easily have had their World Cup play-offs at the Millenium but choose not to because they prefer playing at whatever Cardiff City’s ground is called. 

The problem isn't sharing with Rugby,  it's that not very many people want to watch the Welsh national football team these days

They're playing group leaders Croatia at Cardiff City's ground on Sunday and you can still get tickets today.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The problem isn't sharing with Rugby,  it's that not very many people want to watch the Welsh national football team these days

They're playing group leaders Croatia at Cardiff City's ground on Sunday and you can still get tickets today.

I didn’t say anything about a problem sharing with rugby. I just don’t agree with “Wales will still use it if they reckon there’s going to be a big demand for tickets.”

They’ve had one match there in the last 12 years - a friendly - while they were quite a decent side and could have sold more tickets than they did. Case in point being the play-offs where they were quite vocal about keeping it at the smaller stadium for a more intense atmosphere.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I didn’t say anything about a problem sharing with rugby. I just don’t agree with “Wales will still use it if they reckon there’s going to be a big demand for tickets.”

They’ve had one match there in the last 12 years - a friendly - while they were quite a decent side and could have sold more tickets than they did. Case in point being the play-offs where they were quite vocal about keeping it at the smaller stadium for a more intense atmosphere.

I was originally posting in the response to  @craigkillie's responding to @ArabFC suggesting a shared stadium and wrongly interpreted your contribution in that context. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was originally posting in the response to  @craigkillie's responding to @ArabFC suggesting a shared stadium and wrongly interpreted your contribution in that context. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused

Aye I forgot halfway through typing what the context even was so apologies for going off on a tangent.

FWIW, I think looking other countries that share a stadium needs more context. Unlike other countries our capital isn’t our biggest city, and one is seen as a rugby city and the other a football one. The idea of merging into one stadium isn’t as straightforward.

Hampden also has a massive part in footballing history, so I don’t like the thought of it being bulldozed and playing elsewhere.

5 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Aye I forgot halfway through typing what the context even was so apologies for going off on a tangent.

FWIW, I think looking other countries that share a stadium needs more context. Unlike other countries our capital isn’t our biggest city, and one is seen as a rugby city and the other a football one. The idea of merging into one stadium isn’t as straightforward.

Hampden also has a massive part in footballing history, so I don’t like the thought of it being bulldozed and playing elsewhere.

Don't disagree generally, but, it leaves us playing in a shit stadium that's going to remain shit.

Coming from Dundee, I couldn't give two hoots if the national stadium was in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

6 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Whilst I agree that there's alot of history to hampden the idea that edinburgh is a rugby city is only something you here from the west coast. You mention edinburgh sport to 99% of people and they think of hearts and hibs and yes there supports are comfortably behind celtic and rangers most of the OF support come from bigoted scumbags from all areas of the country,  the idea they are more likely to travel from various regions of the country to glasgow more than edinburgh is weird when your consider the national team.

And edinburgh is a bawhair from glasgow in population, the differences aren't worth considering 

Edited by parsforlife

57 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Whilst I agree that there's alot of history to hampden the idea that edinburgh is a rugby city is only something you here from the west coast. You mention edinburgh sport to 99% of people and they think of hearts and hibs and yes there supports are comfortably behind celtic and rangers most of the OF support come from bigoted scumbags from all areas of the country,  the idea they are more likely to travel from various regions of the country to glasgow more than edinburgh is weird when your consider the national team.

And edinburgh is a bawhair from glasgow in population, the differences aren't worth considering 

The difference in metropolitan area is about 700k, it's definitely worth considering.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I'm from the west coast, but I live in Ediburgh and I can assure you that Embra is a rugby town. If there's football and rugby on at the same time and you want to watch in the pub, you have to know that you're going somewhere that they'll have the football on, and even then you might find you're punted onto some wee second screen in the corner.

It doesn't even need to be Scotland playing rugby - I remember that Nations League game where we pumped Albania (was it 4-0?) under Strachan, struggling to find a place in Leith that had the football on because they were all showing Ireland v New Zealand at the rugby.

10 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

I'm from the west coast, but I live in Ediburgh and I can assure you that Embra is a rugby town. If there's football and rugby on at the same time and you want to watch in the pub, you have to know that you're going somewhere that they'll have the football on, and even then you might find you're punted onto some wee second screen in the corner.

It doesn't even need to be Scotland playing rugby - I remember that Nations League game where we pumped Albania (was it 4-0?) under Strachan, struggling to find a place in Leith that had the football on because they were all showing Ireland v New Zealand at the rugby.

Which says a lot about the level of enthusiasm generated by Strachan's Scotland team at the time

The recovery that followed Scott Brown's retirement had only just begun to kick in

16 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Which says a lot about the level of enthusiasm generated by Strachan's Scotland team at the time

The recovery that followed Scott Brown's retirement had only just begun to kick in

When we won in Cyprus last month it was the first night of the rugby world cup and the pub I watched the game in punted us off into a tiny wee room off the main bar so they could show two nations who aren't Scotland playing rugby on all their bigger screens.

41 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

When we won in Cyprus last month it was the first night of the rugby world cup and the pub I watched the game in punted us off into a tiny wee room off the main bar so they could show two nations who aren't Scotland playing rugby on all their bigger screens.

I was in the Golf tavern and they were showing both games but with commentary only from the football all the way through to the 90th minute

Despite the fact that Scotland were 3-0 up and safe by the time things kicked off in Paris

Ironically we'd gone up the hill to the Golf Tavern specifically because Bruntsfield seemed more likely to prioritise Rugby. Turns out we should have got the tram to Leith

32 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was in the Golf tavern and they were showing both games but with commentary only from the football all the way through to the 90th minute

Despite the fact that Scotland were 3-0 up and safe by the time things kicked off in Paris

Ironically we'd gone up the hill to the Golf Tavern specifically because Bruntsfield seemed more likely to prioritise Rugby. Turns out we should have got the tram to Leith

I’ve lived in Leith for 21 years. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it being a rugby hotbed. You live and you learn….

The location of this tournament does not really bother me at all. The only surprise for me is that England never went for this themselves. As long as we make it the finals, give us a wee trip down to London for one of the group games. If we get Hampden, fair enough but certainly not overly bothered by it

13 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That was one of McLeish's games - the high point before the shitey campaign that kicked off with a 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan

There needs to be a concerted effort to prioritise Hampden redevelopment now.

Its the only chance of getting central government funding diverted, the SFA bigwig dampening expectations at this early point is an absolute disgrace