Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

The lack of redevelopment of Hampden park for this obviously, but in general is a joke.

Not withstanding the piss poor design, it was done on the cheap at the time and even then two sides were done 30 years ago now. By the time of the tournament, two stands will be 35 years old with little internal investment in each (aside from the half arsed reconfigured external bits).

I get to some, 1993 doesn't seem that long ago, but if you apply the 35 years back from that, works done in 1958 would have seemed far too old.

If Maxwell doesn't think the distance behind the goals is a problem, stick the hospitality and VIP seats there and I'm pretty sure he'd get a quick opinion change.

I get the sentimentality of Hampden, but when you look at the other stadiums for the tournament, it is by a long long way the worst. Take the scotland fans creation of the atmosphere out and you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for a major international game. 

I think the large distance between the two end stands actively damages the atmosphere of the stadium as they are just too far apart. You’ll hear the same song out of synch coming from two stands at once.

Imagine a Hampden with stands that were right on top of the pitch. We could vastly improve the match going experience and make it a fortress at the same time.

We will probably still be having this conversation in 20 years as Hampden continues to rot away, though.

Edited by Jaggy McJagface

Don't like Wembley having both semi's and the final. Made some sort of sense for Euro 2020 as it was pan-European and so minimised travel but in 96 one of the semi's was in Manchester or Birmingham I think? You'd think that even Tottenham or Manchester City or whatever would be better for one or both of the last four ties.

If Hampden can't get a full refurbishment, could they do something like Cagliari did and put temporary stands up behind each goal?

Screenshot_20231010_210114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6afce0fc077facf293ed5c8a0e75568d.jpg

They can get pretty big and square off the end; the areas of seat behind them could have platforms built as they had at the Commonwealth Games for hospitality, catering, merchandise, whatever else. I actually think this could be the way to the do the actual rebuild, but if that ship has sailed then this could be done within the couple of million budget there would be? 

15 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If Hampden can't get a full refurbishment, could they do something like Cagliari did and put temporary stands up behind each goal?

Screenshot_20231010_210114_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6afce0fc077facf293ed5c8a0e75568d.jpg

They can get pretty big and square off the end; the areas of seat behind them could have platforms built as they had at the Commonwealth Games for hospitality, catering, merchandise, whatever else. I actually think this could be the way to the do the actual rebuild, but if that ship has sailed then this could be done within the couple of million budget there would be? 

Interesting idea, would reduce the capacity quite a bit though.

27 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Interesting idea, would reduce the capacity quite a bit though.

Not necessarily, if it was built high enough and steep enough. The one at Yekaterinberg for World Cup 2018 was massive! 12,000 seats (6,000 behind each goal, and that was quite narrow to fit behind the existing facade).

22 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Taking the Hampden roof off would be a bit costly mind you. 😂 

Thought you were being serious for a minute there! 

55 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't like Wembley having both semi's and the final. Made some sort of sense for Euro 2020 as it was pan-European and so minimised travel but in 96 one of the semi's was in Manchester or Birmingham I think? You'd think that even Tottenham or Manchester City or whatever would be better for one or both of the last four ties.

Nice out of the box thinking, can't see it happening with Hampden.

1 hour ago, Jaggy McJagface said:

I think the large distance between the two end stands actively damages the atmosphere of the stadium as they are just too far apart. You’ll hear the same song out of synch coming from two stands at once.

Imagine a Hampden with stands that were right on top of the pitch. We could vastly improve the match going experience and make it a fortress at the same time.

We will probably still be having this conversation in 20 years as Hampden continues to rot away, though.

We will absolutely be having the same conversations in 20 years.

I suppose, one of the few positives about Hampden is that it isn't the same identikit design you see replicated all over the place now, albeit with small differences. It is instantly identifiable. But, it is equally possibly to develop something both fit for purpose, historic and unique. Just no one in Scotland really has the will. 

3 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

The lack of redevelopment of Hampden park for this obviously, but in general is a joke.

Not withstanding the piss poor design, it was done on the cheap at the time and even then two sides were done 30 years ago now. By the time of the tournament, two stands will be 35 years old with little internal investment in each (aside from the half arsed reconfigured external bits).

I get to some, 1993 doesn't seem that long ago, but if you apply the 35 years back from that, works done in 1958 would have seemed far too old.

If Maxwell doesn't think the distance behind the goals is a problem, stick the hospitality and VIP seats there and I'm pretty sure he'd get a quick opinion change.

I get the sentimentality of Hampden, but when you look at the other stadiums for the tournament, it is by a long long way the worst. Take the scotland fans creation of the atmosphere out and you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole for a major international game. 

It doesn’t matter if he thinks it is or not, the money isn’t there. Where is £100mil+ coming from?

Is there a business case for public money if you wouldn’t be increasing capacity significantly? Glasgow already has two other similarly sized stadiums anyway. 

If the money was there, would bringing the ends in at Hampden be the best way to spend £100mil for the overall benefit of Scottish football?

The advantages are better sight lines for 50% of the ground, the potential to host more high profile games and being able to charge more for tickets.

As it stands, every Scotland game sells out, as do most Cup semi’s and finals, and Hampden has been able to host European championship games twice within a decade. The only scope to host bigger games would be for the champions league final but I think you would need 65k for that. 

Hampden needs doing up, but for the money there’s better ways to spend it. Celtic Park and Ibrox are both better stadiums by far, even with their faults. Take away the parts of the away end at Celtic park behind the pillar and you get a capacity well above Hampden’s, it’s easier to get to with public transport and is just a better stadium in general. Similar could be said for Ibrox. Some Old Firm fans might moan but the vast majority would prefer actually being able to see the game at their rivals ground instead of being in a different post code at Hampden. 

19 hours ago, Donathan said:

I’m no expert on civil engineering the only two options that spring to mind for expansion would be to lower the pitch, remove the running track and add more rows of seating to the front

Isn't this what they did with the Etihad - you'd never know that it once had an athletics track there.

24 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Isn't this what they did with the Etihad - you'd never know that it once had an athletics track there.

Difference being that the City of Manchester Stadium was designed with that plan, so the permanent stands built for the Commonwealth games have a suitably steep rake so when the ground was lowered and lower tier build they had a good view of the new pitch; Hampden's seats are at such a shallow rake that if the pitch was lowered (and I don't think it can because of a river or sewer or culvert under the park?) most seats won't see the nearside half of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Difference being that the City of Manchester Stadium was designed with that plan, so the permanent stands built for the Commonwealth games have a suitably steep rake so when the ground was lowered and lower tier build they had a good view of the new pitch; Hampden's seats are at such a shallow rake that if the pitch was lowered (and I don't think it can because of a river or sewer or culvert under the park?) most seats won't see the nearside half of the pitch.

So it's unsalvageable then? Knock the fcuker down - along with Murrayfield and build a stadium for both sports ala the Millennium.

Haha. I know, silly idea! 🙄

31 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

So it's unsalvageable then? Knock the fcuker down - along with Murrayfield and build a stadium for both sports ala the Millennium.

The Millennium that Wales stopped using for football years ago because it wasn't suitable for them?

29 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

it sounds a great idea from the SFA’s point of view but there’s not a great deal in it for the SRU who have only relatively recently shed the legacy of debt that came with their decision to build a genuine all seater stadium as opposed to simply bolting seats onto old terracing and making do