Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I saw the All Blacks there and it's pretty shit for transport into town compared to Murrayfield but better than Hampden which might as well be on fucking mars

Absolute garbage.

Getting to Hampden from Glasgow consists of a 10 minute train from Central station to Mount Florida and a 5-6 minute walk.

London Waterloo to Twickenham station takes 20 mins and it’s a good 12–15 minute walk from there to the ground. 

I’m not necessarily saying that they would *need* to ground share (and in fact, I think that part is highly unlikely because both clubs have invested in Tynecastle/Easter Road in recent years), but I do think Scotland really needs a stadium to bridge the gap between the 50k+ seaters (Murrayfield, Celtic Park, Hampden and Ibrox) and the 20k seaters (Pittodrie, Easter Road and Tynecastle)

This stadium should be in the central belt, because it’s main use would be for cup semi finals that don’t involve the old firm. Too often just now, the SFA has to choose between playing in a half empty hampden with no atmosphere, or playing at an Easter Road type ground and having some fans miss out on the opportunity to attend. A lot of Scotland games would also be better placed in a stadium of this size. I think Edinburgh would be an ideal location for it given the benefits in having stadiums outside of Glasgow involved in this bid. 

Who is going to spend the £100million required for such a stadium which would probably be used less than five times a year?

On 09/04/2022 at 20:20, Donathan said:

Absolute garbage.

Getting to Hampden from Glasgow consists of a 10 minute train from Central station to Mount Florida and a 5-6 minute walk.

London Waterloo to Twickenham station takes 20 mins and it’s a good 12–15 minute walk from there to the ground. 

This!

Give me Glasgow central to Hampden by any form of transportation, including walking, ahead of central London to Twickenham. It’s a fucking pain in the arse to get to for anyone in London. Mind you, it’s not a stadium for Londoners. It’s for the middle class Tory toffs in Richmond/Surrey. 

On 09/04/2022 at 17:17, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The GAA used to say something similar

I think it’s something to do with the licence they have as Chelsea were refused to play there when they were looking at redeveloping Stamford Bridge. Would imagine this sort of stuff goes out the window for international tournaments though.

This!

Give me Glasgow central to Hampden by any form of transportation, including walking, ahead of central London to Twickenham. It’s a fucking pain in the arse to get to for anyone in London. Mind you, it’s not a stadium for Londoners. It’s for the middle class Tory toffs in Richmond/Surrey. 

Mind you Richmond is about the size of Aberdeen and has plenty of bars and restaurants. By the time I thought about heading back to East London the crowds had died down. To be honest I can’t remember how I got back but I did wake up in Bethnal Green

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2022 at 12:51, grazza said:

I can't see any more than 12 grounds being used overall if up to 32 teams. I just hope that it is at least balanced so England get half the stadiums and rest of us make other half.

London - Wembley, Tottenham,

Liverpool - Anfield,

Manchester - Old Trafford,

Newcastle - St James,

Then 1 other probably Villa Park or Elland Road

Glasgow - Hampden,

Edinburgh - Murrayfield

Dublin - Croke Park and Aviva

Cardiff - Millenium

1 other - Probably a stadium in Belfast, Cardiff city if they don't want to spend any money or Swansea to spread it out a bit. 

I not sure why England not going it alone from FA point of view I get the politics why UK government may want it. Given Germany is hosting 2024 on the above you could add Sunderland, Emirates / Olympic stadium, Hillsborough, Southampton, MK

Looking like Bramley Moore Dock will be used in Liverpool (if it's completed of course!), as according to a story today the Anfield pitch is too small...

'Should BMD be completed on time it is likely to be a host venue for Euro 2028 as Anfields pitch dimensions are too small at the Kop and Anfield Road  falling short of UEFA regulations of 105m by 68cm (@MailSport)

On 27/04/2022 at 00:46, Christophe said:

Looking like Bramley Moore Dock will be used in Liverpool (if it's completed of course!), as according to a story today the Anfield pitch is too small...

'Should BMD be completed on time it is likely to be a host venue for Euro 2028 as Anfields pitch dimensions are too small at the Kop and Anfield Road  falling short of UEFA regulations of 105m by 68 cm[ (@MailSport)

That's a very narrow pitch. Quite surprising when they use the full backs to such good effect...

A few of the suggestions in this thread most likely won't be allowed. Croke Park is unlikely as it would need temporary seating on the terrace which is not allowed under the rules (no temporary seating allowed). I find it unlikely they would allow a stadium to operate with a full stand (around 10-15k of total capacity) empty. Similarly any Aberdeen stadium would need to be permanent, not temporarily expanded. I don't know how flexible the rules are around this sort of thing but as far as I can see they are definitely in place (https://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/officialdocument/uefaorg/regulations/02/46/30/61/2463061_download.pdf for Euro 2024, page 66).

I would be surprised if there was no Belfast option in a bid - surely a purpose built 30,000+ stadium would be ideal there?

In terms of multiple stadiums in one city, there is a lot of regulation around that too to ensure the stadium can manage two games that overlap. I don't know if Dublin would meet those requirements or not. Undoubtedly London would.

In terms of (complete) stadium renovations, these have to be in place at least 2 years prior to the commencement of the tournament. I wonder if Hampden would meet the requirements for hospitality etc. at this point or if it would require an upgrade. If the later they will have to get moving pretty fast as a complete rebuild would take several years. Realistically they would need to have spades in the ground in 2024/5 to have it done 2 years early. I very much hope this is part of the plan and that the upgrade is funded by the central government (ala the Millenium Stadium and the Olympic Stadium). We definitely have the worst stadia in the UK here.

Finally, if Murrayfield is part of the bid (and I hope it is), it would probably also benefit from a new east stand to make the full BOWL and bring the capacity up to I would presume 70k+, possibly 80k+. There is a running track in front of the West Stand that would allow the pitch to move westward and a tighter BOWL to be built. A roof would also be a good addition but that's probably a bit optimistic!

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

A few of the suggestions in this thread most likely won't be allowed. Croke Park is unlikely as it would need temporary seating on the terrace which is not allowed under the rules (no temporary seating allowed). I find it unlikely they would allow a stadium to operate with a full stand (around 10-15k of total capacity) empty. Similarly any Aberdeen stadium would need to be permanent, not temporarily expanded. I don't know how flexible the rules are around this sort of thing but as far as I can see they are definitely in place (https://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/download/officialdocument/uefaorg/regulations/02/46/30/61/2463061_download.pdf for Euro 2024, page 66).

I would be surprised if there was no Belfast option in a bid - surely a purpose built 30,000+ stadium would be ideal there?

In terms of multiple stadiums in one city, there is a lot of regulation around that too to ensure the stadium can manage two games that overlap. I don't know if Dublin would meet those requirements or not. Undoubtedly London would.

In terms of (complete) stadium renovations, these have to be in place at least 2 years prior to the commencement of the tournament. I wonder if Hampden would meet the requirements for hospitality etc. at this point or if it would require an upgrade. If the later they will have to get moving pretty fast as a complete rebuild would take several years. Realistically they would need to have spades in the ground in 2024/5 to have it done 2 years early. I very much hope this is part of the plan and that the upgrade is funded by the central government (ala the Millenium Stadium and the Olympic Stadium). We definitely have the worst stadia in the UK here.

Finally, if Murrayfield is part of the bid (and I hope it is), it would probably also benefit from a new east stand to make the full BOWL and bring the capacity up to I would presume 70k+, possibly 80k+. There is a running track in front of the West Stand that would allow the pitch to move westward and a tighter BOWL to be built. A roof would also be a good addition but that's probably a bit optimistic!

An expansion of Murrayfield isn’t a bad shout at all. It’s pretty difficult to get tickets to big Scotland rugby matches, so they could definitely use a bigger stadium. 

On 09/04/2022 at 20:20, Donathan said:

Absolute garbage.

Indeed. There are 6 train stations within a 10 minute walk of Hampden, albeit they are all on the Cathcart Circle. If anyone has an issue with that they can walk the 20 minutes to Crossmyloof.

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, albagubrath said:

Your not going to believe this but with Belfast it's complicated.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your not going to believe this but with Belfast it's complicated.

I presume you are talking about the Troubles but I'm honestly not sure what you are getting at? The only issue I can see would be that Windsor Park was already recently redeveloped and is too small. There were some issues with the original redevelopment of that stadium as it is owned by Linfield and other teams claimed state aid but those were overcome and presumably could be again. 

The other options would be to expand/redevelop Ravenshill (the Kingspan) or to build a new stadium outright to be owned by the IFA.

We all know that any requirements regarding temporary seating or multiple stadia in one city are quickly forgotten if you chuck cash at the problem.

Regarding Hampden, there were some fairly significant upgrades made to the hospitality areas ahead of Euro 2020, as well as the big screens, floodlights, dugouts etc. I’d be surprised if these were deemed to no longer be suitable just a few years later. Interestingly, Hampden was selected for Euro 2020 ahead of the Principality despite it clearly being a poorer stadium in the eyes of the average match going fan.

9 hours ago, albagubrath said:

I presume you are talking about the Troubles but I'm honestly not sure what you are getting at? The only issue I can see would be that Windsor Park was already recently redeveloped and is too small. There were some issues with the original redevelopment of that stadium as it is owned by Linfield and other teams claimed state aid but those were overcome and presumably could be again. 

The other options would be to expand/redevelop Ravenshill (the Kingspan) or to build a new stadium outright to be owned by the IFA.

Windsor Park isn't going to be redeveloped and it's too small. Ravenshill isn't going to be redeveloped and it's too small. They have both already had the public money for redevelopment. 

The next in line for public money is Casement Park which will be big enough. There will be some local opposition to football at Casement but I think the GAA will be pragmatic and their public money might depend on it. The hard-core NI fans won't be happy playing anywhere other than Windsor but the old guard might not be the target audience for this tournament. 

It's Casement or nowhere for Belfast. The main issue being whether or not an executive can be formed after tomorrow's elections to allocate the funding.

• 5 months later...

Press reports saying the bid has been submitted.

2x host automatic slots.

England will provide 6 stadiums from a shortlist of 10... Eire will provide 2... Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will provide 1 each. (Unclear what/how NI contribute tbf).

England       Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Tottenham... Manchester City, Manchester Utd... Aston Villa... Everton... Newcastle... Sunderland... Milton Keynes
Eire                Croke Park, Lansdowne Road
Scotland     Hampden
Wales           Millennium Stadium

Equates to 3-4 group + 1-2 knockout matches each.

Millennium Stadium will host opening match.

Wembley will host Final.

Hampden taking QF.

MK surprising inclusion... Arsenal + Leeds + Liverpool surprising omissions?

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Press reports saying the bid has been submitted.

2x host automatic slots.

England will provide 6 stadiums from a shortlist of 10... Eire will provide 2... Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will provide 1 each. (Unclear what/how NI contribute tbf).

England       Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Tottenham... Manchester City, Manchester Utd... Aston Villa... Everton... Newcastle... Sunderland... Milton Keynes
Eire                Croke Park, Lansdowne Road
Scotland     Hampden
Wales           Millennium Stadium

Equates to 3-4 group + 1-2 knockout matches each.

Millennium Stadium will host opening match.

Wembley will host Final.

Hampden taking QF.

MK surprising inclusion... Arsenal + Leeds + Liverpool surprising omissions?

Would Ireland get the 2nd automatic spot since they have 2 stadiums to our 1? 

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Would Ireland get the 2nd automatic spot since they have 2 stadiums to our 1? 

Undecided.

It's also reported some FAs involved favour everybody contesting qualification, then giving 1/2 places to the best who miss-out, although unclear how that'd go down on the continent.

Furthermore:

FAI confident winning Euro 2028 bid will bring automatic qualification (irishexaminer.com)

FAI confident winning Euro 2028 bid will bring automatic qualification  

While all eyes are on the punishing draw Stephen Kenny’s side have been handed to reach Euro 2024, they’re unlikely to be involved in qualification next time around.

FAI officials are confident that a successful Euro 2028 hosting bid will lead to automatic qualification for Ireland, without kicking a ball. While all eyes this week are on the punishing draw Stephen Kenny’s side have been handed to reach Euro 2024 in Germany, they’re unlikely to be involved in qualification for the next version.

That’s because the UK and Irish bid to stage the 24-team tournament, due to be submitted tomorrow, is hotly favoured to be successful when the announcement is made in February. Serial unsuccessful bidder Turkey appears to be sole competition but the soundings from the top brass at Uefa is the outcome is a formality.

UK and Ireland had been interested in vying for the 2030 World Cup hosting but Spain and Portugal – together with Ukraine – were instead allowed a free run at being Europe’s representatives in the process. The UK and Ireland bid consists of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

Tentative talk arose of the Euros being expanded to 32 nations, which would have afforded scope for the five co-hosts to attain free entry into the finals, but the larger nations, already fatigued by a disparity in quality at international level, were instrumental at retaining the existing format.

Hence, not all the hosts will proceed as guaranteed finalists. England, with six stadia, are a certainty to claim a berth and Ireland’s status as the nation with the most after that, Aviva Stadium and Croke Park, puts them ahead of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland with one apiece.

Edited by HibeeJibee