Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You're right that this would be weird and they'll probably want to avoid it, because in the event we ended up in a playoff rather than qualifying automatically and knew we were making it if we lost anyway, I would be entirely in favour of losing on purpose to deny Wales qualification.

When the Republic of Ireland qualified for Euro 88 thanks to Gary Mackay's goal in in Bulgaria it was in a meaningless match from a Scotland perspective

I assume he has never had to pay for a Guinness in Dublin to this day

4 hours ago, Donathan said:

Terrible idea. That would guarantee that some of them miss out.

Actually it would mean just one would miss out, as the top two would qualify through the group and the next two would then be the two best "non qualifying" host nations who'd then receive a qualifying spot.

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Actually it would mean just one would miss out, as the top two would qualify through the group and the next two would then be the two best "non qualifying" host nations who'd then receive a qualifying spot.

So Northern Ireland , which will be what will happen anyway.

I would imagine it’s going to work as follows:

Tottenham, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle get 5 matches each - 4 group matches and one R16 or SF. Manchester and Tottenham get a QF each and the other three get a R16.

Cardiff - 4 group matches (including the opener) and two R16

Belfast - 4 group matches and one R16

Hampden & Aviva - 4 groups matches, one R16 and one QF each 

Wembley - 2 SFs and Final.

Wales/Scotland/NI/ROI will be predrawn if they qualify into a group where they can play all their matches at home. England will be predrawn if they qualify into a group with one match in London, one in Newcastle and one in Manchester/Liverpool.

The qualifying format seems really quite reasonable.  2 guaranteed slots seems fair given Ukraine/Poland and Belgium/Holland in the past.  England will waltz their group, and if we're not qualifying directly we only need to be above a maximum of 2 of Wales/ROI/NI (most likely 1 of ROI and Wales since NI look incapable of beating anyone).

Euro 2020 was a total damp squib because of COVID, but given we'll (presumably) get the away tournament out the system in Germany, a home tournament with a stronger team and without the absurdities of a Europe-wide competition, will be really rather good.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I would imagine it’s going to work as follows:

Tottenham, Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool and Newcastle get 5 matches each - 4 group matches and one R16 or SF. Manchester and Tottenham get a QF each and the other three get a R16.

Cardiff - 4 group matches (including the opener) and two R16

Belfast - 4 group matches and one R16

Hampden & Aviva - 4 groups matches, one R16 and one QF each 

Wembley - 2 SFs and Final.

Wales/Scotland/NI/ROI will be predrawn if they qualify into a group where they can play all their matches at home. England will be predrawn if they qualify into a group with one match in London, one in Newcastle and one in Manchester/Liverpool.

Cardiff, Dublin and Glasgow each get a QF according to the Times article.

34 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The qualifying format seems really quite reasonable.  2 guaranteed slots seems fair given Ukraine/Poland and Belgium/Holland in the past.  England will waltz their group, and if we're not qualifying directly we only need to be above a maximum of 2 of Wales/ROI/NI (most likely 1 of ROI and Wales since NI look incapable of beating anyone).

Euro 2020 was a total damp squib because of COVID, but given we'll (presumably) get the away tournament out the system in Germany, a home tournament with a stronger team and without the absurdities of a Europe-wide competition, will be really rather good.

Agreed. This seems a fair way to do things. You would imagine England will qualify directly. I also think there is a good chance of one of us, Wales and RoI doing so as well. This leaving the safety net of two other spots. 

I would imagine Nations League Plays Off will be a further chance to qualify as well. Given NI’s slide of late, a drop into the bottom league might not be a bad thing for them. 

Apparently some UEFA nations are uneasy about the back door qualification route. The latest proposal I’ve seen includes two direct spots going to the best two non-qualifiers after the qualifying group stages AND any remaining host nations being guaranteed a playoff spot.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Apparently some UEFA nations are uneasy about the back door qualification route. The latest proposal I’ve seen includes two direct spots going to the best two non-qualifiers after the qualifying group stages AND any remaining host nations being guaranteed a playoff spot.

Is it not only England who are saying they won't take it, basically knowing they'll sail into the Euros anyway.

1 minute ago, Molotov said:

Will there be money put towards redevelopment of Hampden as a result of this?

I don’t think so. I am sure when there was chat of bidding for The World Cup there was talk of maybe renovating. However, that was dropped when the bid for the Euros was submitted. 

1 minute ago, qos_75 said:

I don’t think so. I am sure when there was chat of bidding for The World Cup there was talk of maybe renovating. However, that was dropped when the bid for the Euros was submitted. 

Yeah that’s what I thought.

Doubt anything will be done bar a lick of paint and some graphics around the main stand and the hospitality suites. 
No chance anything will be spent on the peasants. 😂 

19 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Is it not only England who are saying they won't take it, basically knowing they'll sail into the Euros anyway.

England are saying they want to play in the qualifiers as it’s better prep for the finals than just playing friendlies for two years. Don’t think they’re opposing the safety net idea, just saying that they don’t want automatic qualification.

This article below mentions some unease.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67062742

33 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Will there be money put towards redevelopment of Hampden as a result of this?

There should be but probably won't be, Tonne of work needed at Hampden even before you consider renovation. 

Northern ireland building a new stadium for this, if they can get some cash together for that then we should aswell.