Euro 2028 - Host bid

Clown Job

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

MK surprising inclusion... Arsenal + Leeds + Liverpool surprising omissions?

Arsenal probably too close to both Wembley and Spurs. Having three stadia in one city is already pushing it, so Olympic Stadium probably seen as spreading things out enough to keep UEFA happy.

Probably also why we’re only going in with Hampden. Unless Murrayfield was considered, you’d then have one city with three, and two with two.

Or, more cynically, the SFA didn’t want to pick “one over the other”…

I really really really hope this bid loses.  Being an official host with one venue being given to Scotland sounds absolutely pointless (I know Hampden was a host for Euro 2020 but that was a bit different).  England should just go for it alone and forget this tokenism being given to the rest of us.

Edited by Highland Capital

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Scotland     Hampden
Equates to 3-4 group + 1-2 knockout matches each.
Hampden taking QF.

6 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Being an official host with one venue being given to Scotland sounds absolutely pointless (I know Hampden was a host for Euro 2020 but that was a bit different).  England should just go for it alone and forget this tokenism being given to the rest of us.

Basically re-run of Euro 2020 for Hampden/Scotland... perhaps 5 games not 4 - i.e. 4th in groupstage, or 1 in Last 16.

I would suggest to play it in the friendlies window immediately before the 2026 world cup.

So if we qualify for the World Cup, instead of playing warm-up matches to experiment and get ready for the tournament, we've to play two massively important competitive qualifiers?

22 hours ago, craigkillie said:

So if we qualify for the World Cup, instead of playing warm-up matches to experiment and get ready for the tournament, we've to play two massively important competitive qualifiers?

When else would you suggest hosting it? 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I would suggest not playing it at all, and finding a better way to decide.

Such as???

We have five teams vying for two automatic spots. England as the primary host will rightfully get one of them. The other four have one spot between them. You could go for ROI because they’ve got 2 stadiums, but tbh there’s no specific reason why Ireland should have more stadiums than Scotland. If you’re not handing it to Ireland, then your only two remaining options are a random draw or some sort of competitive decider (whether that be a specific tournament, or world ranking at a cut off date) 

None of what you said is confirmed, in terms of how many spots are available or any of the rest of it. If we're going to the lengths of having to play pre-qualifiers and all sorts then you'd surely just let the hosts play in normal qualifying and then maybe just hold back the extra play-off spot for any who don't make it otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

I’d say the most likely to be culled are West Ham, Sunderland, Old Trafford and Croke Park. Casement Park needs a hell of a lot of work done in the next six years but they’ll want Northern Irish representation I’d imagine.

They might as well have made it England only, a token stadium to the other nations is pretty pointless.

If as the Irish media speculated they get the 2nd host qualifiying place for providing more stadiums then questions should be asked about why we weren't pushing for a 2nd stadium (especially when it looks like there's no rules about a max of 1 per city going by the list) or why we are involved in this at all. 

By 2028 we could've potentially hosted 2 major tournaments in Scotland and had 1 where hardly anyone could go due to attendance restrictions and 1 where we haven't qualified.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

If as the Irish media speculated they get the 2nd host qualifiying place for providing more stadiums then questions should be asked about why we weren't pushing for a 2nd stadium (especially when it looks like there's no rules about a max of 1 per city going by the list) or why we are involved in this at all. 
By 2028 we could've potentially hosted 2 major tournaments in Scotland and had 1 where hardly anyone could go due to attendance restrictions and 1 where we haven't qualified.

To be fair I’d be surprised if Dublin gets two spots from 10. Would leave 5 for England (Wembley, Tottenham, Old Trafford, St James, Everton?) assuming one each for Scotland/Wales/NI.

I don’t like the idea of England giving token games elsewhere. They should just go it alone or choose one of us to make it a joint bid between two.

A handful of group games and a last 16 match isn’t particularly exciting either. Presumably we’re just going along with it for the financial boost.